Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best camera mode for wedding?

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2014 12:16 |  #31

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16840918 (external link)
Hi All

I have Canon 6D with (24-70 f2.8), (85 f1.8 a) and 430EX flash

What AF points should I have selected, ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture?

just the recommended setting

your help is highly appreciated

Thank You!

IMAGE: http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001681645/2614640532_how_to_catch_a_liar_xlarge.gif

IMAGE: http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/0/0b/Deal-With-a-Compulsive-Liar-Step-12.jpg/670px-Deal-With-a-Compulsive-Liar-Step-12.jpg

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2014 12:27 |  #32

I don't know what the deal is. If you guys don't want to answer his question, then don't. Move on to the next thread. There's no need to call him out on being a beginning, "on his way to crashing his car" or editing his OP. Just move along people...

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 12:32 |  #33

^If this were a private conversation, one-on-one, I'd agree with you about just moving on. This, however, is a public forum where 100x the number of people read the thread than participate. I think it's important to respond in a way that directly addresses people who think shooting weddings without knowing how to use a camera is acceptable. It isn't.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 17, 2014 12:43 |  #34

I'm surprised not one person has offered up "P" for professional mode.

:p

Joel

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2014 12:55 |  #35

x_tan wrote in post #16837377 (external link)
I try:
Mode Dial: P Mode
ISO: Auto
AF Operation: One-Shoot AF
AF Points: Center

You should be ok for the day :-)

He offered "P" mode :D

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2014 12:56 |  #36

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16841230 (external link)
^If this were a private conversation, one-on-one, I'd agree with you about just moving on. This, however, is a public forum where 100x the number of people read the thread than participate. I think it's important to respond in a way that directly addresses people who think shooting weddings without knowing how to use a camera is acceptable. It isn't.

But we don't even know if he's shooting the wedding or just going to a friend's wedding with a camera...

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2014 12:57 |  #37

Maybe his friend is getting married and has no budget so they asked him to help. Good wedding photography is a luxury, and some people just can't afford it.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 17, 2014 13:05 |  #38

The correct answer is that there is no correct answer without knowing all the facts involved.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2014 13:10 |  #39

RandyMN wrote in post #16841325 (external link)
The correct answer is that there is no correct answer without knowing all the facts involved.

Exactly. And as someone as mentioned before, to totally dismiss him on the premise that he's going to shoot the wedding as the "wedding photographer" is just messed up.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2014 13:19 |  #40

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16841303 (external link)
But we don't even know if he's shooting the wedding or just going to a friend's wedding with a camera...

Yeah, that was my point. There is no definite evidence that the OP is taking bookings as the main photographer. They could simply be going along as a guest and want to take some shots themselves, in addition to those taken by the professional.

The only evidence that they are more than simply a guest, is the "website" they have which is simply a holding page with a picture, a logo and "coming soon" on it. It is dated as 2013, so has been there a few months already with no further work having been done on it. It may be that they are working towards doing photography as a sideline, but still getting to grips with what is needed and learning the intricacies of working the camera.

In such a situation, somebody invited to a wedding may well want to use it as a learning experience and practice some techniques that they may be new to. It doesn't mean that they are going to be looking for wedding bookings any time soon. They may just be working towards doing some portrait work, or other genres altogether. The pic on the website doesn't suggest wedding photography to me.

I agree with Christopher Steven b that it is important to get across the fact that you need to be a very competent photographer before booking a wedding (not to mention having the right gear and backup bodies etc). But, without any real evidence that this is the case, surely offering a little advice to the OP, as to technique, along with the message that they aren't knowledgable enough to shoot a wedding as a main (or even an official second) photographer, is in order.

Near the start of the thread, I tried to answer the questions posted but also stated quite clearly that they shouldn't be doing a wedding yet, as anything other than a guest taking their own shots.

Sadly the "professional" wedding brigade (most of the really negative posts seem to be pro wedding shooters) have chosen to take the superior attitude of putting the OP down with the effective message of "it's too hard for you, don't even think about trying to learn how to shoot at a wedding", along with rudeness, arrogance and juvenile mocking behaviour.

Sure, tell the guy that he isn't up to doing a pro shoot, I did that. But give him the benefit of the doubt and allow that he is quite possibly just wanting advice on how to get shots at a family wedding, and not going to be the official photographer.

Canon ­ Guy ­ Mark
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 17, 2014 17:15 |  #41

I was only giving shooting tips that I picked up or learned from trial and error. Not trying to sound uppity. I learned and am still learning a lot from pros and face it every pro started as a newbie. The advice is good for just getting good shots. I only attempted to pas info along and possibly save them from mistakes I have made. Really not trying to talk down to anyone. The 6D is a great camera, if you lay the money out for it and want to take great shots with it, asking people who use it is a great way to learn a few tricks. I really was only trying to help. I was in the process of editing my post and ad a few things but it wouldn't save, I logged off and then couldn't find this thread. I came back later and took me a while to find this thread again and read the comments about the pros. Look, I was only trying to be helpful and give some tips to get great shots, it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get some cheap manual speedlights off Amazon for $38 each, less than $200 and you can buy 5 Neewer TT560's manual speedlights that can be light triggered, if you want to get fancy pick up a Photix Stratto II radio sender/receiver set and a couple extra receiver, Wescot sells Umbrella Stand Kits for about $68 each that comes with 8 foot stand, umbrella and flash mount. You could get away with just two umbrella stand and two Neewer flashes, probably get it all for under $200. You made the investment in an awesome 6D camera and some nice lenses, a couple hundred more and you got the lights and can be pulling off some amazing shots. Is this a must, no, you can take lovely shots with just the existing single canon flash, and stay at f/4 and shutter speed around 1/160 to 1/200 second and keep the ISO no higher than 2500 ISO on the 6D for pretty much noise free shots. You will get really nice shots, if you want to bump it up another notch on the cheap, a couple hundred bucks in good budget lighting gear can really up your game. Again, I am not trying to sound uppity or I am a know it all. I am only trying to be helpful. Sorry if I touched a sensitive nerve here. I am new to this site.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2014 17:26 |  #42

Canon Guy Mark wrote in post #16841883 (external link)
I was only giving shooting tips that I picked up or learned from trial and error. Not trying to sound uppity. I learned and am still learning a lot from pros and face it every pro started as a newbie. The advice is good for just getting good shots. I only attempted to pas info along and possibly save them from mistakes I have made. Really not trying to talk down to anyone. The 6D is a great camera, if you lay the money out for it and want to take great shots with it, asking people who use it is a great way to learn a few tricks. I really was only trying to help. I was in the process of editing my post and ad a few things but it wouldn't save, I logged off and then couldn't find this thread. I came back later and took me a while to find this thread again and read the comments about the pros. Look, I was only trying to be helpful and give some tips to get great shots, it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get some cheap manual speedlights off Amazon for $38 each, less than $200 and you can buy 5 Neewer TT560's manual speedlights that can be light triggered, if you want to get fancy pick up a Photix Stratto II radio sender/receiver set and a couple extra receiver, Wescot sells Umbrella Stand Kits for about $68 each that comes with 8 foot stand, umbrella and flash mount. You could get away with just two umbrella stand and two Neewer flashes, probably get it all for under $200. You made the investment in an awesome 6D camera and some nice lenses, a couple hundred more and you got the lights and can be pulling off some amazing shots. I this a must, no, you can take lovely shots with just the existing single canon flash, and stay at f/4 and shutter speed around 1/160 to 1/200 second and keep the ISO no higher than 2500 ISO on the 6D for pretty much noise free shots. You will get really nice shots, if you want to bump it up another notch on the cheap, a couple hundred bucks in good budget lighting gear can really up your game. Again, I am not trying to sound uppity or I am a know it all. I am only trying to be helpful. Sorry if I touched a sensitive nerve here. I am new to this site.

You weren't one of the ones I was referring to, don't worry. It was the ones who basically said he should stick to green box, and not try and learn good technique, that I was talking about.

This site is normally extremely helpful to people learning their way in photography. Questions, even the "stupid" ones, are normally asked and get plenty of helpful responses where the more experienced members talk the less experienced through their problems and also help people with ways to avoid issues they are seeing in their images etc.

This thread seems to have attracted the other sort of user (fortunately found in small numbers) that jump to a conclusion (in this case that the OP is going to be taking bookings for weddings - which may or may not be true, it is just a possibility) and shout them down saying they need to learn how to use their camera first. Yet, they offer no help to that end.

You sir, are the sort of person welcome on POTN. You took the time to give a lengthy reply filled with tips that the OP may find useful. That is normally the POTN way, sadly this thread is not typical of the usually helpful attitude of POTN members, but that is the fault of others, not yourself.

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 17, 2014 18:59 |  #43

"[I] Sadly the "professional" wedding brigade (most of the really negative posts seem to be pro wedding shooters) have chosen to take the superior attitude of putting the OP down with the effective message of "it's too hard for you, don't even think about trying to learn how to shoot at a wedding", along with rudeness, arrogance and juvenile mocking behaviour."

the helpful Canon Guy Mark, x tan and Sandpiper of course not included in this comment !!

totally agree with this statement lots of people can and do shoot a wedding ( i have ) just some can do it a bit better and are better geared up than others to do it

just my 2 c worth
cheer rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,639 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 17, 2014 19:19 |  #44

patrol50 wrote in post #16842147 (external link)
" Sadly the "professional" wedding brigade (most of the really negative posts seem to be pro wedding shooters) have chosen to take the superior attitude of putting the OP down with the effective message of "it's too hard for you, don't even think about trying to learn how to shoot at a wedding", along with rudeness, arrogance and juvenile mocking behaviour."

the helpful Canon Guy Mark, x tan and Sandpiper of course not included in this comment !!

totally agree with this statement ( give the guy a break ) and reckon some of the put down "expert" wedding pros need to take a cold shower and chill a bit and sad to see an aussie or two in them ( just not the australian way ) - mate i am no expert nor am i a pro or wedding photo shooter but i can use a camera ( nikon initailly now canon and still happily leaning about my new 7d ) but wildlife and landscapes and golf courses are more my thing - lots of people can and do shoot a wedding ( i have ) just some can do it a bit better and are better geared up than others to do it

just my 2 c worth
cheer rob

I was not one of those "expert wedding pros" putting the guy down as I felt like I gave some good, practical advice. However I am sure that the rest of the "wedding pros" (and I count myself as one) will agree with me when I reiterate what others have already said.

A wedding is not the place to practice the photography craft IF you are being paid to produce professional results. If the OP is simply a guest bringing his camera along, then fine, practice all you want as long as you don't interfere with the pro hired to do the job.

I'm sure that you would agree that shooting landscapes and golf courses is a bit easier to master than wedding photography. Producing quality work as a wedding photographer is probably the hardest photography job I've ever done, and I've been a professional photographer for a very long time. One must be thinking three steps ahead at all times, one must have the skills to light a bridal portrait in less than 60 seconds, one must have not one, not two but preferably three cameras + lenses and lights available at all times. One must be proficient with using multiple lights and being able to light a reception venue of any size in just a few minutes.

Of course there are some photographers who insist on shooting with available light at all times, but that approach can bite them in the ass when least expected.

The bottom line is that the OP was asking for advice that a pro should already know. If the OP posted up that "I'm an amateur looking for experience and I'm not being paid", the advice would likely be friendlier. We as working professional wedding photographers have a hard enough time getting business and convincing clients that just because their uncle Bob owns a nice camera, that does not qualify him to produce amazing or even acceptable results. There are too many stories of unhappy brides because they hired a guy or gal who didn't know what they were doing. We're simply trying to prevent that from happening again with the OP's "client".

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2014 19:39 |  #45

jcolman wrote in post #16842196 (external link)
I was not one of those "expert wedding pros" putting the guy down as I felt like I gave some good, practical advice. However I am sure that the rest of the "wedding pros" (and I count myself as one) will agree with me when I reiterate what others have already said.

A wedding is not the place to practice the photography craft IF you are being paid to produce professional results. If the OP is simply a guest bringing his camera along, then fine, practice all you want as long as you don't interfere with the pro hired to do the job.

I'm sure that you would agree that shooting landscapes and golf courses is a bit easier to master than wedding photography. Producing quality work as a wedding photographer is probably the hardest photography job I've ever done, and I've been a professional photographer for a very long time. One must be thinking three steps ahead at all times, one must have the skills to light a bridal portrait in less than 60 seconds, one must have not one, not two but preferably three cameras + lenses and lights available at all times. One must be proficient with using multiple lights and being able to light a reception venue of any size in just a few minutes.

Of course there are some photographers who insist on shooting with available light at all times, but that approach can bite them in the ass when least expected.

The bottom line is that the OP was asking for advice that a pro should already know. If the OP posted up that "I'm an amateur looking for experience and I'm not being paid", the advice would likely be friendlier. We as working professional wedding photographers have a hard enough time getting business and convincing clients that just because their uncle Bob owns a nice camera, that does not qualify him to produce amazing or even acceptable results. There are too many stories of unhappy brides because they hired a guy or gal who didn't know what they were doing. We're simply trying to prevent that from happening again with the OP's "client".

Yeah, I agree with everything you say about wedding photography, how hard it is and that the OP has neither the experience or the equipment to take it on. I have done quite a few weddings as paid photographer and know how tricky it can be.

The only part I am complaining about (and you are right, you are not one of those who rudely put him down) is that so many have made the assumption that there IS a client. We don't know that and the OP hasn't said it. I did my first wedding photography sets at the weddings of friends and relatives. There was an official pro photographer covering the event as well, I was just keeping out of the way of the pro and taking my own shots for my use and to give copies to the couples (all of whom had requested I bring my camera along). I learned a lot doing them and was glad of the experience. It is quite possible the OP is looking to do the same.

Just because they didn't specifically state "I'm an amateur looking for experience and I'm not being paid", doesn't mean it isn't the case. They should have been treated a bit more civilly by the pack (and again, I do not include you in the uncivil behaviour).

sponsored links

9,418 views & 1 like for this thread
What is the best camera mode for wedding?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.