Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to DSLR. Thinking about Canon 70D

Pohled
20 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2014 19:41 |  #1

Hello,

I and my father are thinking about buying a DSLR. We already have a CanonSX20 and a G12.
We live in Brazil, but he is traveling to USA in the next weeks, and there things are much cheaper =)

We intend to spend 2000 USD.
I was thinking about getting a Canon 70D with the plus 18-135 kit lenses, another lens and a flash. (we already have two tripods, a manfrotto 055xprob/RCR2head and a smaller one)

Our goal is general photography, but as for specific subjects that I and my father like to shots I could say flowers and plants, birds and portraits.

So, with the 2000 USD I think I could get the 70D + 18-135 kit lens, a Canon 75-300 lens, and
a 430EX flash.
What do you think?

Thank you all beforehand

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 17, 2014 20:02 |  #2

I have a 70D and love it... I would skip the 75-300 lens. Reportedly, it's one of the worst lenses Canon makes. I would select the 55-250 STM instead. My wife is getting great photographs with hers.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 17, 2014 20:09 |  #3

Unless you need video capabilities, I would recommend looking into a Nikon system at this point honestly. Their sensors are better and glass is about equal for most applications.

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 17, 2014 20:11 |  #4

I also think you should go with the 55-250 STM instead. That way, you can opt for the 18-55 STM kit lens instead of the 18-135 and save a little money.

Pohled
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2014 20:35 |  #5

Hi,

Venon3300, I'll take a look at Nikon. We use some video as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

Phoenix and Slookx, I didn't know that about the lens. It seems to be a nice change =).

How about the battery grip, is it worth buying?

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2014 21:12 |  #6

STM lenses will only really benefit if you shoot video, due to the quieter motor. If the emphasis is photography, I would suggest USM lenses. If he were going to NYC and went to one of the superstores, I would suggest:

70D body only with bag, memory card, 3rd party battery, and card reader ($1099)
430EX II refurbished flash ($229.95)
15-85 IS USM used ($539.95)
55-250 IS USM used ($99.95). Optically same as version I and 1/2 price.

WIth tax, you go a little of $2000, but you have a solid kit. You are lacking really wide open apertures, but you can always pick up a prime later, based on need.

Since you are starting new, I would also agree with venom, take a good look at Nikon. Camera/price, they offer better value right now

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

palad1n
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 17, 2014 21:15 |  #7

70D has very similiar IQ to every modern crop camera i used, so i wouldn´t pick the new camera entirely based on IQ...

70D has few advantages against NIKON and other Canon bodies.

-LV dual pixel focusing is damn good for low angle shots, it is almost as fast as focusing through VF in good/medium good light conditions. But it locks even in dim light, only it takes little bit time. unfortunately, it can´t be used for tracking moving objects.

-MFA 2.0 is another great feature.

- AF system is very reliable and much better for sports than NIKON 7100 series according many tests. It works flawlessly even in bad light conditions with good lenses.

NIKON is winning in built quality, slightly better DR at 100ISO, their sensors are newer and you can pull more details from underexposed pictures...

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

Pohled
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2014 22:00 as a reply to  @ palad1n's post |  #8

Hi,

We've been to NYC once, I visited the mega BHphotovideo, it's a lot of fun :lol:

This time my father is going to visit California, I guess that he'll prefer to buy the items as new, so that he can use international warranty or something like that if we have any sort of the problem.

I've found only STM kit lenses, no USM. =/ Perhaps I get the lens separated from the body.
My priority is photography, video is just a bonus.

Thank you again.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 17, 2014 23:36 |  #9

one of the nice things about the new 55-250 STM is that the front element doesn't rotate when you focus..... so it's much easier to use a CPL (circular polarizer)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 18, 2014 00:02 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

70D w/18-55 STM. Add the 55-250 STM and you are done. Skip the 75-300.

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2014 07:44 |  #11

Pohled wrote in post #16842535 (external link)
Hi,

We've been to NYC once, I visited the mega BHphotovideo, it's a lot of fun :lol:

This time my father is going to visit California, I guess that he'll prefer to buy the items as new, so that he can use international warranty or something like that if we have any sort of the problem.

I've found only STM kit lenses, no USM. =/ Perhaps I get the lens separated from the body.
My priority is photography, video is just a bonus.

Thank you again.

If bought in the US as a US product, there is no international warranty provided. There is something called gray market which does not come with a factory warranty. It might be a good idea to ask Canon Brasil if they would honor a warranty for a camera bought outside of the country. But I am pretty sure they will say no, hence refurbished or reputable used would get you more quality for $, since you will not have any warranty anyways, unless you bring it back to USA.

The kit lenses with the 70D in the US are with the 2 STM lenses only. If going new, this is a nice thread to start a comparison.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1343319

Pohled: I see the list price for a 70D with 18-55 list price of R$7000!!!! Is that the actual price you pay on the street? I see why you are considering this. I think you have to ask yourself is it worth the warranty? Also I do not know how strict customs is in Brasil, but when you father comes back with all this new gear, could there be an issue that he might have to pay tax or are they pretty leniant about this sort of thing?

Phoenixkh is right about the rotating front element on the non STM 55-250, very annoying trying to use a CP filter

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2014 09:11 |  #12

venom3300 wrote in post #16842280 (external link)
Unless you need video capabilities, I would recommend looking into a Nikon system at this point honestly. Their sensors are better and glass is about equal for most applications.

I would tend to agree with this. I been using Canon to long, and also lazy I guess to switch and learn menu , etc...... But for someone starting, I would look into something like a Nikon D7100....they are running around $1500 with the 18-105 lens, then pick up-50mm...and shoot away, or buy the body and get the nikon 18-55, 55-200 combo and add the 50mm.....
And I am a canon guy

Mike ­ -
31 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 18, 2014 09:49 |  #13

Having a long Canon background, I bought a Nikon...just to see what the "other side" was like..!

I found the "cameras"...overall (not counting video) are mostly equal. One does one thing a little better, the other does another thing...a "little" better, but overall, pretty equal.

Lens wise...Canon all the way.
I've bought and returned a few Nikon lenses because of image quality. Even the one I did keep, it "will" produce a nice picture...but it does it with limited camera settings....like having to stick with F8 or F11 for everything. Anything more open and the sharpness goes away quickly.

Price wise vs. image quality (lenses)...again Canon wins there too.

Mike

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2014 10:04 |  #14

mark2009 wrote in post #16843386 (external link)
I would tend to agree with this. I been using Canon to long, and also lazy I guess to switch and learn menu , etc...... But for someone starting, I would look into something like a Nikon D7100....they are running around $1500 with the 18-105 lens, then pick up-50mm...and shoot away, or buy the body and get the nikon 18-55, 55-200 combo and add the 50mm.....
And I am a canon guy

The video/liveview AF on the 7100 is much less effective, it has no touch or tilt screen, the cross type AF points are a cluster in the center, no wifi...those are all important things to me personally for what I use my camera for. I also really do not enjoy Nikon ergonomics or menus. The cross type AF points out closer to the edges of the frame is also important to me - it helps prevent centering the subject in every shot because you have better AF sensitivity there. When in portrait orientation that is even more important.

Then again, I am not a purest when it comes to IQ over all else. I like my tools to actually be more functional and usable. The best kitchen knives in terms of making cuts are hardened high carbon steel - but they have more brittle edges and are prone to rusting. There is a reason most people buy less hard stainless steel knives - they are easier to use and still cut things well. I feel like the 70D still has the best blend of performance and features in this price point. (which is a little under the D7100 with the 18-135 STM)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

outmywindow
670 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 18, 2014 10:18 |  #15

^^ Also it should be pointed out that with the D7100 when you are in video/liveview mode you cannot change the aperture on the lens (at least this was true when I tried one out earlier this year). To change the aperture you have to exit liveview mode, change the aperture, and then go back into liveview mode. The exception of course is if you are able to get older AI-S lenses which have a physical aperture control ring on the lens, then you can change the aperture manually as you wish.

Just a soul with a camera

sponsored links

4,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to DSLR. Thinking about Canon 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.