Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

88 Year Old Portrait

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 11, 2014 10:38 |  #16

Fantastic!

the green is RIGHT for this image - the color balanced one just doesn't pop.

i love the spacing at the top in the original, but after seeing the crop, that damn rule of thirds I love so much wins again :)

Tho - if you want to try a different crop (you don't allow editing, but I wanted to show you a possible crop so I made it very small and can take it down as it is only on my private server)... i like this as an alternative

IMAGE: http://blog.planet5d.com/critiques/88YearOldPortrait.jpg

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links
pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 12, 2014 03:38 |  #17

Not going to comment on the processing as there's plenty of that in here from those that know more about it than I do, but when I look at this picture, I see a person who seems like he has a lot of stories to tell about life. The kind of man someone younger could learn a lot from.

Strong image, I like it!

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

EEP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 13, 2014 17:31 as a reply to  @ pixelbasher's post |  #18

Thanks for the feedback guys :)
Planet5D that's a great alternative crop. Only thing is my eye keeps being drawn to the armchair bit on the left of his face. I think if he didnt have that there it would be awesome! Having him centred gives me the feeling that he is such a solid figure, gives a groundedness about him if that makes sense?!
Re rule of thirds, it's so nice to fall back on sometimes! :)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 14, 2014 10:04 as a reply to  @ post 16823542 |  #19

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16823529 (external link)
Good expression, but green & there's WAY too much empty space at the top. I'd have used a longer lens, & had him pull his hands closer to him & slightly lower so they weren't so OOF.
You have to link (embedd) it: Post a link to an image

Yes, agree on all counts.

Major correction to my comment - wrong comment quoted. I really wanted and agree with PHotoguy's comment.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

MidnightRook
676 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 17, 2014 13:40 |  #20

I really enjoy this image. He has a great look, I personally like the processing, and the hands are really what gives interest to the photo. Those are some big ol' mitts!

Whether the hands should be in a different spot.. I honestly don't know. They could be lower, and/or more in focus since they're part of the portrait. If it were me, I think I would keep them there and just be in focus since his hands help tell his story.

With all that said, great job. :)

T3i EF-S 18-55II w/grip ¦ EF 35 2 ¦ EF 50 1.8
Pentax Spotmatic |Takumar 35 3.5|Takumar 50 1.4
EQ 135 2.8 | Fotodiox M42 to EOS Adapter
flickr (external link) BLOG (external link) Jean-Pierre EF 40mm 2.8 STM Flickr group! (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2014 00:17 |  #21

EEP wrote in post #16824883 (external link)
thanks for the feedback everyone, great critiques. Photosguy, thank you! I think I got it now. he's gone, I selected the option to embed the colour profile in save to web but not sure if it worked.

yes i was toying with whether the green was too much but i was after that warmth it brings. I tried a little cinematic feel. here is the original photo untouched compared to the newly cropped edited and a B&W version.

Hmm. I don't know. At first I liked the green. Sure it's unconventional and "wrong", but I felt it suited the subject matter. It's an old dignified looking guy, and I felt that the green cast sort of gave the image sort of a weathered and aged look. This is a guy who looks like he's got a lot of wisdom and stories behind him, the green color cast sort of added to that idea and added to the whole idea of this being an artifact of a bygone era.

But then by comparison to the original, I don't know. Once I see the comparison, I think the green image is TOO green. I see where you were going, but in comparison it looks like you just went too far. On the other hand, while the original looks more natural, I'm not a fan of the color contrasts here. The cold colors are competing with the warm colors, and I think that's drawing my eye away from the dude. Which I think is unfortunate, since this image is all about the dude. He should be dominant here, and I think that some of the color contrasts here are taking away from that.

Am I the only one who likes the black and white? I sort of feel like the black and white version eliminates some of the color contrasts. There's some really nice lighting here and the details of his weathered face really pop in the black and white version. Also, I think that it suits the subject matter. It looks dignified as hell, but the removal of the color also evokes an aged look. Colors fade with time, the lack of color signifies oldness and life leaking away. Yet, somehow with fewer color distractions, I'm more focused on his face and can see the vibrance in his eyes. This looks like a strong focused man, it's all coming through in the face. That's just the impression I get, I can't objectively explain it, but I'm getting that more in the black and white version than in either of the others. Again, I think it's a result of eliminating colors that compete with the man's face. But once I see all the color removed, I'm hit hard by the power of his presence and how that contrasts with the theme of aging.

But hey...that's just me. Maybe that's all BS. All I know is that I like what I like, so I'm trying to think about and be able to express why.

sponsored links

2,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
88 Year Old Portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.