Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I overreacting? -Amazon

luvallpups
303 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2014 22:52 |  #1

I ordered a used lens from Amazon a little over a month ago for a very specific shoot. The shoot happened later than I had anticipated, and didn't work too well because I realized it still wasn't wide enough for the effect I needed. I ordered the wider lens I needed from somewhere else, and initiated a return for the lens to Amazon. Last month was very hectic for me, and since I live away at college I am only back home during the weekends. I don't take any of my camera gear to college because of high theft around there. The return was due for April 2nd. I had a family member drop it off March 31st at night, I guess it was too late to go out the same day, so the lens arrived to Amazon returns on April 3rd. I figured it wasn't a big deal, because personally as a seller, I'd never reject someone's return for it being a day late. About a week later, I was surprised to find out the lens was sent back. I opened the box up and there was a piece of paper in there with "return window expired" written in sharpie. The lens was packed so poorly. It looked like someone just threw it in a box and shipped it back with no thought put into the packing. The $1,400 lens was LOOSE in the box with only an air pouch. No bubble wrap around the actual lens...it wasn't even in its soft canon pouch at the very least. I was never notified that they were returning the lens back to me and it was left at the doorstep. Luckily I came home that day from college and was able to bring it in. I wrote to Amazon letting them know I was very disappointed last Friday. Haven't heard anything back yet. Am I right in expecting I should be able to make a return or am I overreacting? Just wanted a third party perspective. The lens looks OK physically but haven't had the chance to test it on a camera body.

5D Mark III - 35L ii- 85L - Sigma 50 1.4

sponsored links
JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 15, 2014 23:00 |  #2

The return date just means it needs to be shipped by that date. So it is usually best to take it into UPS and get a receipt showing you returned it by the shipment date they require. When it was dropped off, was it in a drop off box or was it given to a person?

Honestly, I would call or do a live chat with them. Much easier than trying to communicate through email.

Another question, was the order fulfilled by Amazon or was it a third party who handled everything?

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

luvallpups
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2014 23:08 |  #3

Ratjack wrote in post #16837203 (external link)
The return date just means it needs to be shipped by that date. So it is usually best to take it into UPS and get a receipt showing you returned it by the shipment date they require. When it was dropped off, was it in a drop off box or was it given to a person?

Honestly, I would call or do a live chat with them. Much easier than trying to communicate through email.

Another question, was the order fulfilled by Amazon or was it a third party who handled everything?

I'm not sure if it was in the drop box or given to a person. My sister shipped it for me since I was away at college but I can ask her. The tracking number says it wasn't shipped out until April 1st at around 9pm though so either way it looks like they didn't scan it until the next night. It was shipped by USPS since I was covering the shipping cost, as the return wasn't their fault. The order was fulfilled by Amazon, so it was shipped back to me by them not a third party. I think it was expected to arrive by April 2nd, I'm not 100% sure though. It looks like the date as now been removed from the order so I can't even recheck the wording.I'm just surprised they'd be so picky about one day. At least it was shipped before April 2nd. As a seller I personally wouldn't be so picky about a day. A week, then I'd understand....:confused:

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 15, 2014 23:13 |  #4

They never should have returned it to you like that. It's also very unusual for Amazon not to communicate with you via email. It woulds like a 3rd party seller to me...

As already suggested, I'd call Amazon first thing tomorrow and talk to customer service.

Bryan

My Gear List

luvallpups
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2014 23:27 |  #5

bps wrote in post #16837232 (external link)
They never should have returned it to you like that. It's also very unusual for Amazon not to communicate with you via email. It woulds like a 3rd party seller to me...

As already suggested, I'd call Amazon first thing tomorrow and talk to customer service.

Bryan

Well the lens belongs to a third party seller but the order was fulfilled by Amazon. I know for sure as it was shipped with Prime and the label was addressed from Amazon in NV. The paper inside that stated I could not return it was also labeled Amazon Fulfillment Services. I usually have good experiences with Amazon so I was surprised. I received the lens in ok packaging, it was just how they returned it to me. Almost felt like they were annoyed I was trying to return it or something by how it was thrown in there.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 15, 2014 23:36 |  #6

Amazon is very good about their returns. On multiple occasions I just did not have time to make it down to UPS before the ship date. They extended my return period for me. Just talk with them (not through email).

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 16, 2014 08:59 |  #7

Amazon email is not very good for some reason,best to call a rep they should be able to make this right.

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 16, 2014 09:50 |  #8

I find the Chat function on Amazon to be the best method - as you can keep a copy of the chat conversation.

I resolve all my Amazon issues this way - works quite well.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2014 09:56 |  #9

Sorry to hear about the lousy packing situation - that should have never happened and is pretty shabby. As other have suggested, I agree that either CHAT is a good way to discuss important issues as it give you a record, or a phone call. Email is iffy - easy to blow you off that way.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong - I always assumed that if a return is due for specific date, that is the date they want to get it back. It's why it's stated in that fashion and if you are late, well then there are consequences. I realize that things can get hectic in school - they will only get worse when you enter the job market - and I hope you work this out ok. Bottom line, if it's a critical last minute thing, you really need to talk to somebody.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 16, 2014 14:28 |  #10

Gotta say I don't think you're over-reacting as far as the packaging but the return is on you.

I'm sure Amazon will make things right, but their automated systems are set up to follow protocols and those protocols don't care if you were busy as school or that the shoot happened at a different time than expected. 30 days is a long enough time.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 16, 2014 16:22 |  #11

I can understand being upset if the packing wasn't as you would expect. However, in my opinion, apparently, the root cause is the fact that you didn't retrun the lens within the acceptable return window. If you had done so, this thread wouldn't exist.

This may sound harsh, and perhaps you, as a seller, would allow some grace period, but that doesn't mean you should expect that leeway from anyone else.

My Gear

luvallpups
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 17, 2014 11:28 |  #12

runninmann wrote in post #16839042 (external link)
I can understand being upset if the packing wasn't as you would expect. However, in my opinion, apparently, the root cause is the fact that you didn't retrun the lens within the acceptable return window. If you had done so, this thread wouldn't exist.

This may sound harsh, and perhaps you, as a seller, would allow some grace period, but that doesn't mean you should expect that leeway from anyone else.

It's not harsh at all. I made this thread to get a third perspective as I'm sure my annoyance clouded how I see things in some way. I agree that they aren't technically required to take it back, but something so small speaks hugely in their customer service and can definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth. That's how business is sometimes - even if the customer is wrong, sometimes you take extra measures to make it right: and that's where the difference between a decent business and great one can come in. I wouldn't expect this in every situation of course, not everything is black and white, but I was a bit surprised in my case. Maybe if I'd paid a bit extra for overnight shipping it wouldn't have been an issue, but I guess I underestimated the issue of it possibly coming in a day late.

I surprisingly never heard from them so I guess I'll contact them via chat like suggested or phone. Thanks guys.

luvallpups
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 17, 2014 12:11 |  #13

ddk2001 wrote in post #16838027 (external link)
I find the Chat function on Amazon to be the best method - as you can keep a copy of the chat conversation.

I resolve all my Amazon issues this way - works quite well.

Thank you for recommending the chat function. I was able to get the issue resolved this way, much faster than e-mail. It was easier than the phone because I was able to get it all done in the library. I was just surprised since I've always gotten awesome customer service from Amazon, but they've made up for it in the end.

The only issue is I'm having to pay for shipping/insurance again, and given its almost $30 each time I'm spending almost $60 just on shipping it back. But I'll take that as my loss for being late since Amazon is taking the return back at least.

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 18, 2014 08:49 |  #14

luvallpups wrote in post #16841165 (external link)
Thank you for recommending the chat function. I was able to get the issue resolved this way, much faster than e-mail. It was easier than the phone because I was able to get it all done in the library. I was just surprised since I've always gotten awesome customer service from Amazon, but they've made up for it in the end.

The only issue is I'm having to pay for shipping/insurance again, and given its almost $30 each time I'm spending almost $60 just on shipping it back. But I'll take that as my loss for being late since Amazon is taking the return back at least.

Glad I could help and that you resolved your issue.

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Apr 19, 2014 11:09 |  #15

Excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

sponsored links

2,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I overreacting? -Amazon
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.