Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2014 09:54 |  #3811

pknight wrote in post #16843277 (external link)
I received a nice email from B&H (or from a B&H automated system, since they are closed for Passover until 4/23) yesterday letting me know that they still don't have the lens. At least I know that I'm in the system.

I put in my order without noticing that they were in Passover. So on the 24th when they come back, I will be on the list for one. Wonder what has been the normal time to wait.
I have woodpeckers in my trees that are dying to be photographed. ;):D

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,311 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2014 09:57 |  #3812

If you have woodpeckers in your trees, you might have a bigger problem. They are there for a reason. You might have a few dead trees upcoming.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 18, 2014 10:58 |  #3813

Heck, I've got a woodpecker who lives on my aluminum downspout. Not sure why he is there other than to drive me crazy.....

Jim
Gear List

dpopeney
22 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2014 11:06 |  #3814

sploo wrote in post #16842001 (external link)
Not speaking for Grizz, but generally if you can Expose To The Right (ETTR) it'll make a significant difference to the resulting noise even at higher ISO settings. I accept this is easier said than done when using a long lens with moving targets.

As for soft - assuming the issue isn't AF and is related to shake, then choosing a higher shutter speed and/or better support (e.g. a monopod or tripod with gimbal) may help.

Thanks for the tip sploo! looks like theres a new technique i need to look up and practice!

guruofall
100 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2014 11:44 |  #3815

I also placed my order with Adorama last week. I am not sure it will arrive before my departure to India. I may have to order it again after I return.

Gear: Canon EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105mm f/4 IS L | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD | 580 ex ii
Old Gear: Canon 350D
Flickr (external link)

rndman
961 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2014 11:54 |  #3816

guruofall wrote in post #16843744 (external link)
I also placed my order with Adorama last week. I am not sure it will arrive before my departure to India. I may have to order it again after I return.

Order it again?? Your order with Adorama will stay till it is fulfilled or you cancel it.. If you think that it might arrive while you are in India, just check with them and see if they can hold the lens for you and ship it close to your arrival..

Flickr (external link)

guruofall
100 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 18, 2014 12:22 |  #3817

rndman wrote in post #16843776 (external link)
Order it again?? Your order with Adorama will stay till it is fulfilled or you cancel it.. If you think that it might arrive while you are in India, just check with them and see if they can hold the lens for you and ship it close to your arrival..

Yes, i was going to cancel it if it is not fulfilled by 10th May. It does not appeal me to hold a lens which can be allocated to some other fellow photographer. again, my return to the US is not fixed. So, will have to cancel the order and order it again when my return date is fixed :)

Gear: Canon EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105mm f/4 IS L | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD | 580 ex ii
Old Gear: Canon 350D
Flickr (external link)

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,496 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 18, 2014 13:41 |  #3818

dpopeney wrote in post #16840828 (external link)
Some great shots Grizz! Looking through you pics I'm think i'm now convinced i need to pick up this lens! I have the 60D as well and just picked up a second refurb'ed one for a back up body

kinda of side topic, i was looking at the pic of the squirrel and noticed that your iso was 3200. the pic looks so clean and sharp with minimal noise. Do you mind if i ask how you shot it or how you processed it with an iso at 3200? Seems like all the pics i take with my 60D at iso of 3200 come out noisy and soft regardless of shutter speed (was using a 70-300L). thanks!

Thanks. As sploo said ETTR as much as possible. If you are under exposing and then in Post you have to bring up the shadows or exposure the noise will increase significantly. Also I do all ( well 99%) of my processing in LR and have been very satisfied with Dfine Noise reduction (NIK plugin) for High ISO images. Mostly though with lower ISO images the noise problem can be taken care of in LR.

I'm sure you will enjoy the lens when you get it and congrats! :)

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2014 16:34 |  #3819

Grizz wrote in post #16844136 (external link)
Thanks. As sploo said ETTR as much as possible. If you are under exposing and then in Post you have to bring up the shadows or exposure the noise will increase significantly. Also I do all ( well 99%) of my processing in LR and have been very satisfied with Dfine Noise reduction (NIK plugin) for High ISO images. Mostly though with lower ISO images the noise problem can be taken care of in LR.

I'm sure you will enjoy the lens when you get it and congrats! :)

Yea, Dfine is great for high ISO shots, though it's amazing how high an ISO you can get away with (with little need for noise reduction) if you can ETTR.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2014 19:21 |  #3820

gjl711 wrote in post #16843492 (external link)
If you have woodpeckers in your trees, you might have a bigger problem. They are there for a reason. You might have a few dead trees upcoming.

I need to thin those trees out anyway. I like the woodpeckers.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 19, 2014 07:37 |  #3821

guntoter wrote in post #16841593 (external link)
I ordered one a couple of days ago. Don't know how long the wait will be, but you have me a little nervous since I am shooting a 7D also. I guess I will find out when ever it arrives.

No worries,look around here there are alot of great pics taken with the combo,As for me I just have to get the Camera tuned by Canon,It is a refurb but I am sure it will be fine once its adjusted,My T3i works great with the lens..:)

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 19, 2014 07:42 |  #3822

gjl711 wrote in post #16841599 (external link)
Why call Canon for a Tamron issue? Call Tamron.

Because I am troubleshooting and the lens has already been adjusted by Tamron,Canon CS was very helpful and they said it could be I will have to send the body in.;)

-Ansel Adams

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 19, 2014 07:49 |  #3823

sploo wrote in post #16842001 (external link)
Odd. So a shot focussed using LiveView on the 7D is nice and sharp I presume? If so, that would confirm the optics are OK on the body, and that it is "just" a phase AF issue.

What AF settings are you using on the 7D (single point, single + assist etc.)?

What happens if you AF on a static subject - is that good, or is it still soft?

Be aware that the detection extends outside the AF points on the 7D - thus it's possible that even with a single AF point selected it can focus on good detail that's just outside the point (and in the wrong plane of focus) vs. the less contrasty thing you wanted that's actually inside the square on the viewfinder.

Not speaking for Grizz, but generally if you can Expose To The Right (ETTR) it'll make a significant difference to the resulting noise even at higher ISO settings. I accept this is easier said than done when using a long lens with moving targets.

As for soft - assuming the issue isn't AF and is related to shake, then choosing a higher shutter speed and/or better support (e.g. a monopod or tripod with gimbal) may help.

That is one suggestion made by Canon because I never use live view,or rarely.So I am going to try that today now that we finally have some decent weather.

AF settings I have tried them all to no avail.

A static object even on a tripod is still blurry right now taken with the viewfinder

I will try to drop a note here if the live view gives me some clues as to whats going on.

Canon said its very possible i might have to send it in,If so no big deal it works Great with other lenses.

-Ansel Adams

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 19, 2014 15:36 |  #3824

HogansHeroes wrote in post #16845742 (external link)
That is one suggestion made by Canon because I never use live view,or rarely.So I am going to try that today now that we finally have some decent weather.

AF settings I have tried them all to no avail.

A static object even on a tripod is still blurry right now taken with the viewfinder

I will try to drop a note here if the live view gives me some clues as to whats going on.

Canon said its very possible i might have to send it in,If so no big deal it works Great with other lenses.

The reason I mentioned Liveview is that focus is done using contrast detection (as opposed to the phase AF sensor, which could need tweaking with MFA).

If a static subject is sharp when focussed using Liveview but soft when using phase AF then it probably needs MFA (though the body+lens combo may be so far out that it's beyond the body's MFA range - in which case Canon may be able to get the body closer to 0, or Tamron could do the same for the lens).

If a static subject is soft when focussed using Liveview but sharp if manually focussed then there may be some compatibility issue with your body driving the lens. Unlikely, unless one is damaged I guess.

If it's soft even when manually focussed then I'd say the lens was probably defective (unless the mount on the camera had become damaged and wasn't parallel to the sensor), but I think you'd mentioned the lens is good on another body and other lenses are ok on this body, so probably neither of those is likely.

If you're going to be doing pixel peeping tests with the camera on a tripod, I'd highly recommend enabling mirror lockup, with either a remote cord or timer setting - as even the mirror slap can result in minor vibrations that'll make a viewfinder shot softer than a Liveview shot (as Liveview inherently has the mirror locked up).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 19, 2014 19:01 |  #3825

sploo wrote in post #16846539 (external link)
The reason I mentioned Liveview is that focus is done using contrast detection (as opposed to the phase AF sensor, which could need tweaking with MFA).

If a static subject is sharp when focussed using Liveview but soft when using phase AF then it probably needs MFA (though the body+lens combo may be so far out that it's beyond the body's MFA range - in which case Canon may be able to get the body closer to 0, or Tamron could do the same for the lens).

If a static subject is soft when focussed using Liveview but sharp if manually focussed then there may be some compatibility issue with your body driving the lens. Unlikely, unless one is damaged I guess.

If it's soft even when manually focussed then I'd say the lens was probably defective (unless the mount on the camera had become damaged and wasn't parallel to the sensor), but I think you'd mentioned the lens is good on another body and other lenses are ok on this body, so probably neither of those is likely.

If you're going to be doing pixel peeping tests with the camera on a tripod, I'd highly recommend enabling mirror lockup, with either a remote cord or timer setting - as even the mirror slap can result in minor vibrations that'll make a viewfinder shot softer than a Liveview shot (as Liveview inherently has the mirror locked up).

Well I got out after talking to a Canon rep again and did change a few settings,change the way I focus with this lens as opposed to others,a little sharpening in the menu,and by gosh its alot better,I think with some more practice and getting my basic techniques adjusted its going to be fine. So right now I am happy as I am going in the right direction with this setup. I tend to get frustrated easily so in part my bad..:)

-Ansel Adams

sponsored links

637,117 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.