Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spring Portraits

bberg
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2014 22:30 |  #1

Posted these in the other kids forum looking for feedback, but there don't appear to be many viewers over there. I've done some re-editing since my original post there and would love some C&C if folks are willing to take a minute. As always, I'm simply trying to improve my portrait work...

Thanks in advance :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Parker - Spring Photoshoot 1 of 3 (external link) by Brandon Berg Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Parker - Spring Photoshoot 2 of 3 (external link) by Brandon Berg Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Parker - Spring Photoshoot 3 of 3 (external link) by Brandon Berg Photography (external link), on Flickr

Berg | Imagery (external link)

sponsored links
YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 17, 2014 22:35 |  #2

The poses are cute and I love the props and outfit. The issues I see are the white balance, which is off, and the light, which is flat. You also have to watch for blown spots (particularly on # 1, his shirt, and #3, his head.) I would adjust exposure and contrast as well. Very cute little guy!

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

bberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 18, 2014 10:05 |  #3

YankeeMom wrote in post #16842593 (external link)
The poses are cute and I love the props and outfit. The issues I see are the white balance, which is off, and the light, which is flat. You also have to watch for blown spots (particularly on # 1, his shirt, and #3, his head.) I would adjust exposure and contrast as well. Very cute little guy!

Thank you very much for the honest feedback! Much better than many of the standard responses around here. I'll see what I can do to improve these in processing, as I'm still looking at ways to improve my workflow.

Thanks again :)

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 18, 2014 11:51 |  #4

As yankeeMom said, cute photos but your WB is way to green. You don't have image editing turned on so I didn't try a fix. Try using the eye dropper tool in LR5 and click on the gray hat. I think that would be a big improvement.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)

losangelino
972 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 18, 2014 19:00 |  #5

The WB and exposure looks intentional--Like a vintage/cross processed film look. Is that the look you were going for?

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 18, 2014 19:02 |  #6

losangelino wrote in post #16844856 (external link)
The WB and exposure looks intentional--Like a vintage/cross processed film look. Is that the look you were going for?

This is what I was thinking too ....

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

bberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 18, 2014 21:34 |  #7

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes, I was going for more of a vintage look with these photos. I'll try something slightly more natural and post it here for reference. Also, I apologize for having image editing disabled. I'll turn that on so folks can give their own edits a try :)

Thanks again for the assistance :)

-Brandon

bberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 18, 2014 22:24 as a reply to  @ bberg's post |  #8

Alright, here is a more natural attempt with (hopefully) better white balance. Interested to hear your thoughts. Do you think I need to warm it up more? Thanks!

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/13930926533_9fc608415d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ne2D​7v  (external link) Parker - Between The Branches (external link) by Brandon Berg Photography (external link), on Flickr

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 19, 2014 08:12 |  #9

I think this looks much better. I always disliked that greenish fujifilm look.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2014 12:09 |  #10

I agree -- much better. But, I prefer "clean" processing 90% of the time. :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

pictureman62
439 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2014 14:16 |  #11

Now that's a job well done!

Capture today, for everyone to enjoy tomorrow!:D
5D mkiii / 6D / 7D / (4) 600ex-rt, / Canon 135 F2 L /Canon 200 2.8L / Canon 24-105 4L / Canon 24-70 2.8 L / Canon 70-200 4 L / Canon 85 1.8 /Canon 50 1.8 STM / Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8 and plenty of smiles!:D

bberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 19, 2014 18:55 |  #12

Thank you all for the feedback! I was definitely hoping this was more appealing and that I didn't botch the processing a second time :)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 19, 2014 19:55 |  #13

I like the WB in the last picture you posted the best although the eyes are now too processed/contrasty for my taste.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

bberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 20, 2014 16:06 as a reply to  @ SoCalTiger's post |  #14

Thanks again for the feedback! Pretty happy with how this second edit turned out:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/13954831594_299658caaf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ng9a​fJ  (external link)

Parker - Peeking Out (external link) by Brandon Berg Photography (external link), on Flickr

reefergal
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2014 15:47 |  #15

The pose in the second one is super cute!

sponsored links

2,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spring Portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.