Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2014 (Friday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Light and weddings

lmparker
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 18, 2014 21:33 |  #1

Hey guys/gals, this is my first post so i'm sorry if i'm doing it wrong. I have lots of questions so I figure I will just jump in.. I do natural light photography, I have been booked for a wedding in Sept. I'm concerned with only doing natural light for a wedding, has that been done or can that be done??? I haven't been to the Church yet but plan to as soon as its available. Just curious if anyone has ever done an indoor wedding with natural light only... Thanks everyone for your time!!

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/59975​4803419949 (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2014 21:56 |  #2

lmparker wrote in post #16845087 (external link)
Hey guys/gals, this is my first post so i'm sorry if i'm doing it wrong. I have lots of questions so I figure I will just jump in.. I do natural light photography, I have been booked for a wedding in Sept. I'm concerned with only doing natural light for a wedding, has that been done or can that be done??? I haven't been to the Church yet but plan to as soon as its available. Just curious if anyone has ever done an indoor wedding with natural light only... Thanks everyone for your time!!

I struggle to remember an occasion over the last 3 years where I have used a flash at an indoor ceremony. Depending on the wedding though sometimes you have no choice other than to add light whether you like doing so or not. Some venues make the Batcave look bright.

As much as quality of light makes a difference your ability to see the good light will make even more of a difference.

Peter

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 18, 2014 22:01 |  #3

Of course you can do it! Some venues don't allow flash. If you have some bright primes and a camera that handles high ISO well, you could be set. What's your gear list?

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2014 22:43 |  #4

Unless you are shooting with a good quality full frame sensor camera you are going to have trouble without some supplemental lighting. I recently attended my wife's cousin's daughter's wedding and the photographers shot with Canon 5d MII's using almost exclusively natural light in the church. This church had some of the best lighting I've seen in the 30+ years I shot weddings. The photographers shot most of their images at about 4000 ISO (of course I asked). I saw some of the images. The composition was good but they were too noisy in my opinion. Frankly, I wasn't terribly impressed. Consequently, if I were you I would purchase or rent some decent lighting equipment. Check out the Strobist website for tips if you need any ideas. http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com (external link) Good luck!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2014 22:57 |  #5

All well and good but most churches don't allow flash. I'm at ISO 4000 regularly with no flash. 4000 when exposed correctly is actually quite clean on the 5D MKIII's.

Peter

jcolman
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 19, 2014 10:56 |  #6

It's not the church lighting you have to worry about, it's the reception.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

lmparker
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 19, 2014 14:00 |  #7

Ok thank you everyone! I have a canon 60 D and have mostly been shooting with my 1.4 50 mm, its the best lens I have. I shot my last wedding with not flash iso 3200 and every picture in the Church had a ton of noise... I didn't even do the reception. Thankfully I wasn't the main photographer though, the Sept wedding will be my first main photographer job. I thought about just getting a speed light for on top and seeing if that would offer me enough light.. I've never worked with flash.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 19, 2014 16:14 |  #8

It sounds like a 6D might be in your future. ;)

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 19, 2014 20:54 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #9

Most churches have enough light to get by with a fast prime (sub f2) and a moderately high ISO. Your shutter speeds will probably be in the 1/60th to 1/100 range, so be sure to practice holding your camera steady. If its so dark that even a f/1.4 lens and ISO 6400 have trouble getting you a decent shutter speed, the people probably won't be able to see much either.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2014 22:07 |  #10

You don't even need a fast prime. I use F2.8 and F4.0 lenses, and shutter speeds vary from 1/40th to 1/200th.

If it's so dark you're F1.4 ISO6400 and below 1/50th you probably need light. I don't like super narrow dof for ceremonies, you want more than their ears in focus.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 19, 2014 22:31 |  #11

If the church is THAT dark, get yourself a decent tripod and lock it down sturdy. The couple won't move much, so you can go into the slower shutter speeds if need be.

Yeah it's old school and not glamorous but it works.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2014 06:54 |  #12

I never had a venue that did not allow flash. Do they stop guests from using then as well ?
In most cases you need some kind of light for a reception. Whether it flash or continuous light.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 20, 2014 11:16 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #13

I always ask the officiant what the ground rules are, including flash. Even if I was allowed to use flash, I'll only do so if I feel it's absolutely necessary, which is very rare.

koolcreation
642 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 20, 2014 11:57 |  #14

I was a 2nd photographer for a wedding one time and they didn't allow flash during the ceremony. I then used my 50mm 1.8 alot.

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

lmparker
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 21, 2014 13:25 |  #15

Yes flash isn't allowed during the ceremony but walking down the isle is ok for flash. I have a 1.4 50 mm, its all I use at this point.. Think its ok to use that?

sponsored links

8,480 views & 0 likes for this thread
Natural Light and weddings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.