Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2014 (Friday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Running out of ideas

PhotosGuy
75,908 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 18, 2014 23:32 |  #16

Don't feel as if you're all alone: I'm stuck in a rut. Any ideas?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2014 23:38 |  #17

futurebrewer wrote in post #16844706 (external link)
Thanks everyone! This is all really great advice. I'll definitely look for a photography club to join.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean there were other photographers that were bad mouthing you or other people attending the club bad mouthing you?

J Michael wrote in post #16844793 (external link)
That's really funny. I've been keeping an eye on a photographer who shoots with a plastic camera (Michael Bryant http://www.michael-bryant.com/index/ (external link)). He had two images at a fairly prestigious show here in Atlanta that were snapped up before the show opened last year. He's selling art, not bragging about the size of his sensor.

Thats what was weird to me. It was a street photography group and they all had some small mirrorless cameras, Leica, Nex, etc. and when I showed up with my T2i they began to stub me. Were all chummy before they saw my gear, then it all changed after we began shooting. Im certain its not common, but it can happen.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 19, 2014 02:04 |  #18

peeaanuut wrote in post #16845271 (external link)
Thats what was weird to me. It was a street photography group and they all had some small mirrorless cameras, Leica, Nex, etc. and when I showed up with my T2i they began to stub me. Were all chummy before they saw my gear, then it all changed after we began shooting. Im certain its not common, but it can happen.

That's a bummer! I would look at it that, if this is the kind of people they are... no loss.. i'm better off without them. ;)

While i appreciate gear as much as the next guy, i'm not a snob about it. I teach/help/ shoot with people at my photo-club, that use dSLR,P&S, and they even bring their phones at times. On the other end of the scale, there's one "pro" sports shooter, with a 1Dx, 1DIV, and all L glass (300/2.8 IS,400/2.8II IS.. all wonderful stuff) and portrait lighting. I kinda spend a lot of time chatting with her, :lol: and she does presentations, etc., and i'm always helping her out. So..it works both ways.

Kel
Gear

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 19, 2014 02:34 |  #19

Do you like sports?
Talk to the local Little League executive and photograph a whole season.
Either pick a team to follow, or shoot whoever is at the park when you are there.

But make sure the league executive OK's it first. Otherwise you may be run out of town or lynched because they think you are a pervert.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,358 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 19, 2014 03:07 |  #20

Projects are good if you have the self motivation though....!

An A-Z, a colour or other themed project such as shapes, lines, a 365 :o a 100 strangers,

I tried macro thinking there will ALWAYS be something to shoot. Couldn't really get into it personally.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 19, 2014 04:00 |  #21

futurebrewer wrote in post #16844301 (external link)
Hi all,

I've been into photography for a little while now. Lately, I have been having trouble finding things to take pictures of. I go outside and I feel bored or like there is nothing to take pictures of. Wondering how to get out of this slump.

Anybody have some ideas on what to do? Whenever I get outside I feel like I am taking the pictures of the same things: a dumpster, a cool sign, leaves, flowers, etc..

I try to remind myself that I am outside and there are an infinite amount of things to photograph, but it hasn't seemed to work lately.

If you can, take a look at the tumblr in my signature to see some of the things I have shot in the past. Thanks!

Inspiration happens when you're working, not just when you're sitting around trying to think of what to work on.

I'm not trying to say that outside inspiration is trash. I'm just saying that you can't use the excuse of "but I can't think of anything." Doesn't matter if you can think of anything, a photographer's job is to communicate. So at some point you have to find a way to keep producing images even if you think you've got nothing to say. Everyone gets in a rut, but you've gotta work through it rather than just living in your head.

Because seriously...living in your own head is the easiest way to kill a person's vreativity. You know that if you make yourself work, you'll be able to to come up with something. So there's no such thing as "I didn't have anything to shoot" or "I didn't have any ideas." Sure you did. You just pictured it in your mind, decided it was gonna be worthless, and then killed the creative process right there. Maybe it would have been crap or maybe it would have been good, but you'll never know because you never made work. You never got images, which means that you never got a chance to compare the ideas in your head to the ideas that show up in your photography. And that's how good ideas die.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 19, 2014 11:09 |  #22

here is something that happened last night that was a little weird but turned into a good shooting time. Went to the local big hill for some sunset shots and there ended up being a group that showed up for an instameet. Basically it was an instagram meet. So it wasnt just photogs getting together, it was people that liked to perform for the camera and I ended up getting some good shots that I never would have thought to try to get. It was an interesting experience and contrary to my previous group experience.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

OhLook
you get what you get
19,327 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 19, 2014 11:28 |  #23

having trouble finding things to take pictures of. . . . Whenever I get outside I feel like I am taking the pictures of the same things. . . . I try to remind myself that I am outside and there are an infinite amount of things to photograph. . . . take a look at the tumblr in my signature to see some of the things I have shot

Your post says "things" four times. If you stop looking for new things and start looking for scenes, you'll never run out of material. This approach can be satisfying if you're at all interested in abstraction.

On our last trip, I had a brief conversation with another traveler at a train station. This woman had recently been given a used Canon G9, when someone upgraded, and she didn't know much about how to work it. We talked about settings. Then I mentioned that I'm always looking for good compositions. She asked what that was. I said it was the way shapes and colors were arranged.

I'd rather make as many photos as possible that are visually interesting in themselves than accumulate a collection of photos of as many different things as possible.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2014 12:31 |  #24

tonylong wrote in post #16844785 (external link)
I see you're in Corvallis. I'd say that is a bit of a boring little town, aside from the OSU campus

OSU campus!
That's a neverending supply of TFCD models. Get after it!

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 21, 2014 08:42 |  #25

I find that picking something specific and the searching for it is much more productive than just looking for things to photograph. You get fewer images but they are a lot more worth shooting. For example, you may choose "covered bridges". Then get online and search for them. Sometimes you may have to drive several hours to get to what you want.

You can do this with all sorts of subjects. Sunsets, sunrises, flowers, statues, headstones, cars, motorcycles, people, architecture, trains, etc.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 21, 2014 16:28 |  #26

LeeRatters wrote in post #16844429 (external link)
Have children :) :) :)

bw!

This is so true lol

But seriously. Being just into photography will leave you bored and frustrated a lot of the time. What else are you interested in?

You need to be passionate about your subject -- you need to combine photography with another interest.

Having kids is a great one -- who isn't interested in their kids??

But could be anything -- the great outdoors, motor sports, soccer, naked women, fasion, anything you can see with your eyes can be photographed, but if you want to really see what's there, feel inspired, think about what you'd be interested in even if the camera wasn't with you

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 25, 2014 19:30 as a reply to  @ RMH's post |  #27

I also lose motivation unless I have a goal or a job to complete. Committing myself to creating groups of shots for Habitat For Humanity pamphlets gave me reason to meet with people, plan the times, get all gear ready, go to the site, and right on through Lightroom and CD's to give them.
I do the same for another non-profit group, and I do it for free, for it is a bobby for me.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2014 07:45 |  #28

Anybody have some ideas on what to do? Whenever I get outside I feel like I am taking the pictures of the same things: a dumpster, a cool sign, leaves, flowers, etc..

So, why must you go outside in order to take pictures? You don't have people you know to take pictures of, things in your home to photograph, macros of almost anything in your home, the list is endless. Stop thinking that you can only photograph things outdoors!

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 26, 2014 08:22 |  #29

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16862497 (external link)
So, why must you go outside in order to take pictures? You don't have people you know to take pictures of, things in your home to photograph, macros of almost anything in your home, the list is endless. Stop thinking that you can only photograph things outdoors!

It all depends on your likes. A person who prefers landscape photography is never going to be happy shooting still life macro any more than a confirmed bug hunter will. I very rarely ever find anything interesting to shoot in the house, or indoors in general. My "eye" just doesn't work that way.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2014 09:44 |  #30

Preeb wrote in post #16862544 (external link)
It all depends on your likes. A person who prefers landscape photography is never going to be happy shooting still life macro

If you only like shooting landscapes, you will likely "run out of ideas" very quickly unless you travel a lot. Just like someone who likes to make things out of wood. You can only have so many chairs around the house... you have to diversify what your hobby does if you don't want it to die quickly!

sponsored links

3,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Running out of ideas
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.