Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Apr 2014 (Friday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trip to California

hanjolee
178 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2014 12:21 |  #1

Hello all,

I am planning to take a trip to California soon.
I am wondering which lens to take with me.
Right now, I have 24LII, 50L and 135L. (Body is 5D Mark II)
Not going to rent other lenses at this time.
I was thinking about just taking the 24L II. (Want to go light)
Would 24L II alone be enough?
Which set up would you choose from below?
I will mostly be taking pictures of buildings, streets, people, etc. (Maybe some portraits)
Thank you all in advance.

1. 24L II
2. 24L II + 135L
3. 50L
4. 50L + 135L
4. 24L II + 50L

Sony A7
FE 55mm 1.8

sponsored links
slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 18, 2014 12:36 |  #2

I would say 24 and 50.

Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2014 13:12 |  #3

I'd say bring all three. All three would be useful. If you have to leave one, leave the 135, but if I were you, I'd have all three.

Your title brought a song to my head:
Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 18, 2014 13:15 |  #4

+1 for 24 and 50 unless you like med-tele shots then bring the 135 too

personally when travelling, I tend not to shoot over 50mm, unless I expect to shoot wildlife

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,069 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 18, 2014 17:00 as a reply to  @ taemo's post |  #5

Make it +2 for the 24/50 combo. The only thing that would changecmy thoughts on that is if you were going to Yosemite, then put the 135 in the bag as well.

bernardxleon
173 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 18, 2014 17:07 |  #6

Dillan_K wrote in post #16844050 (external link)
I'd say bring all three. All three would be useful. If you have to leave one, leave the 135, but if I were you, I'd have all three.

^This. Why not bring all three, they aren't that much of a handful.

If you're doing buildings, streets, and people, and comfortable being close to the subjects, then 24 and 50 if you're restricted to using 2.

5D Mark III x 2 | Canon 35L | Canon 85L II | Canon 135L | Canon 24-70L II | 600 EX RT x 2 |

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 18, 2014 19:18 |  #7

Where in California? It is big. Mountains, national parks, woods, cities? Shooting architecture, landscapes, monuments, wildlife? Answer these questions, and you will know what to bring with you.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 19, 2014 05:07 |  #8

When I go city-scape shooting, most often in Chicago, I like to take my 24-105 and one other lens, usually the 16-35 as I now have a 5D iii. But last time I went to Chicago, I took the 135 instead of wide angle. I got some stunning shots with it and realized after getting home I should have kept it mounted longer.

What I do is use a Lowepro lens case attached to my belt big enough for the larger of the 2 lenses I take. That way I'm free to walk wherever I want without dragging a 'ton' of gear...bags, etc.

So I have to ask, what are your 'limitations' for the trip?
Are you flying there? - carry-on size issues need to be considered.
Are you renting a car? - if not, then what's comfortable while walking is a limiting factor.
Are you staying in the downtown only?
Are you alone or with someone? - If you're on foot, having an extra 'mule' doesn't hurt (she may start talking 'divorce' though...)
Are you at or near retirement age? - I am, and my time walking around gets less every time!

One other consideration...who will be viewing your pictures? My cityscape shooting is largely for myself, so getting hi-res, perfectly exposed/post processed pictures is becoming less important. I'm primarily after the memories, old ones renewed and new ones. I recently picked up a G15 point and shoot for 'banging around' (eg, personal use) and am considering using just that on my next trip to Chicago, and LA, on my vacation 3 weeks from now. On the other side of the coin, however, a couple of downtown Chicago shots with the 135 f2L are some of my best shots in 50+ years behind a camera!

Consider your goals/desires, and limitations or restrictions, if any, and come to an appropriate decision. I'd probably go with all 3, carrying 2 in Lowepro cases, as they are all reasonably small.

Edit: 2 more questions..considering the value of your equipment, is it all insured? Is physical security OK?

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

hanjolee
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2014 10:10 |  #9

Thank you all for your inputs!

I guess I will consider in between 24LII and 50L.

@bratkinson,
I will flying down by myself, however will rent a car once get there.
I probably will stay downtown the most of the time, but going to drive around near cities.
Age wise, I am in the 20's so I should be fine :)
My pictures are going to be for myself and I'm with you that I'm primarily after the memories.
Thank you for your input!

Sony A7
FE 55mm 1.8

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 19, 2014 10:23 |  #10

I'd go with the 24 and the 135. Obviously its down to shooting style, but I love running around with a 24 and an 85

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 19, 2014 11:25 |  #11

hanjolee wrote in post #16845965 (external link)
Thank you all for your inputs!

I guess I will consider in between 24LII and 50L.

@bratkinson,
I will flying down by myself, however will rent a car once get there.
I probably will stay downtown the most of the time, but going to drive around near cities.
Age wise, I am in the 20's so I should be fine :)
My pictures are going to be for myself and I'm with you that I'm primarily after the memories.
Thank you for your input!

Just some advice... The 2nd Thursday of each month is la art walk (I think). So you will have good opportunities for street photography on those nights. The actual business area of downtown isn't like other big cities and to me is not exciting enough to make amazing pics out of. However if u go just a bit outside like Chinatown or the warehouse areas there are some really cool looking grundgy stuffs. The exception is the Walt Disney hall which has world famous architecture. You will definitely want to hit Venice beach if you're looking for interesting people. There are few super clear days but if u get lucky and see one that is your cue to look for a vantage point to take a cityscape.

As for lenses Id take all 3. Not sure why u want to limit yourself as none of them are that bulky. If u had to drop one id drop the 135 myself.

My usual kit around la is 5d and 24-70, 16-35, and 50l for dreamy and night shots.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 19, 2014 11:46 |  #12

i have lived in calif. most of my life,you could not pick a better time of year to travel hear bring this:24 135 would not be to heavy and don't forget the pol.filters,also it would help to no where in calif!because its a big state .

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 22, 2014 23:24 |  #13

CA is very large -- 164000 square miles -- and extremely diverse ecologically! alpine mountains, ocean, open desert, evergreen forests, sandy beaches, marshlands and estuaries, dense metropolitan areas. WHERE are you going?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,112 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 23, 2014 00:45 |  #14

hanjolee wrote in post #16843894 (external link)
Hello all,

I am planning to take a trip to California soon.
I am wondering which lens to take with me.
Right now, I have 24LII, 50L and 135L. (Body is 5D Mark II)
Not going to rent other lenses at this time.
I was thinking about just taking the 24L II. (Want to go light)
Would 24L II alone be enough?
Which set up would you choose from below?
I will mostly be taking pictures of buildings, streets, people, etc. (Maybe some portraits)
Thank you all in advance.

1. 24L II
2. 24L II + 135L
3. 50L
4. 50L + 135L
4. 24L II + 50L

ROFLMAO! you only have three lenses and you have to ask?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 23, 2014 01:09 |  #15

OP You have almost the exact say setup as me. I chose the 100L for macro + portrait instead of the 135L
I vote to bring all three because there will be times, (though not often) where you don't want to crop a 50L shot.
My suggestion is two part:

Bring all three lenses and try a messenger bag like the Tenba Mini.

It is compact enough, but holds 3 lenses and camera (mounted) perfectly.
You still got room for accessories, but not much room or bulk.
Swapping lenses is a snap even on the fly. All your gear is ready to go all day.
I would not leave a prime at home just incase. Bring it, and if you end up leaving one at the hotel, it's there if needed.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

2,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trip to California
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.