Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 14:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Friends/Family who want free/low cost wedding photography

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 16, 2014 11:18 |  #16

Stu Scully wrote in post #16835961 (external link)
So I'm going to try to take a guess and see if I'm seeing this situation correctly...

I'm assuming you have a certain "style" with your photography that your family members like, and they are trying to parlay that into their wedding. Whereas you cannot parlay your style into a wedding photography format, especially at the "sweet" deal they are looking to get out of you playing the "family" card.

In this case, if you don't want to default to the often brash, but true, tactic of telling them the base truth (you don't do wedding photography) I'll suggest this.

Sit down and tell them that your work product for wedding photography will be much different than your normal style. And if they are willing to take a chance that they will like it then you can proceed to shoot and edit the photos however you feel best.

To use a sports analogy, it's similar to asking a veteran catcher to play center field. Sure he knows how to run, throw and catch just as any center fielder, but there are nuisances that the catcher just doesn't have mastered as a veteran center field does. But if the manager is willing to live with them, then "play ball!"

Love that analogy!

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links
proimages
319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2014 12:21 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #17

I was roped into a free wedding last year, it took a week to edit I worked my A$$ off.
I mostly shoot sports/landscapes..and now a bunch of the family wants copies of shots, more editing. My advice - don't walk, run away!!!
cheers Darrin

Proimages.com (external link) - DarrinNupuf.com (external link) - Nupufnudes.com (external link) - video stock (external link)

PAFirefighter11
162 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 17, 2014 10:39 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #18

This just happened to me. I HATE weddings and have to shoot for a friend in May. I'm not looking forward to it, though she's not wanting anything special. Just some candids and some staged shots. Easy $1500 I guess? If you're worried, just give them a price like I did. $1500 isn't too high, or too low. It'll make it worth the time on your end, but may also push it out of the reach of the friend, helping you avoid shooting it.

Rick R
My stuff: Nikon D750, D2x, D7200, D7100, Canon AE1 Program, random glass, Alien Bees, Speedlight, etc
|My Photos (external link)|

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2014 11:54 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #19

Tell them that taking photos in a large crowd such as a wedding makes you extremely nervous so you will need to get blindly drunk to handle that. If they are ok with you doing that then go for it. OPEN BAR.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,499 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2014 13:31 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #20

Recent conversation....

Sister-in-law: "Can you take photos at her baptism and the party after?"
Me: "Sure! Normally a day long event like that is $2,000 minimum, but I'll do it for you for $1,500."

......Her jaw just about dropped to the driveway, and she gave me a blank stare.

Sister-in-law: "Come on! We're family, you're going to be there already. Just bring your camera and take some pictures for free."
Me: "I like that car you're driving from the dealership. Let's go to the lot, have your brother draw up the paperwork and let me drive it home for free. We're already here in town." (My sister-in-law owns a car dealership, family run business)

Needless-to-say I did not get a free 2012 Ford Fusion. I knew what she was getting at by asking in the first place, and to be honest I have NO INTEREST in shooting it because I would rather enjoy the party with the family and not be stressed about working to get good images. Since I knew what she was expecting I gave her a price that I knew she would refuse. And if she surpised me and said OK, it would make it worth my time.

Sorry my friend, but it looks like you're stuck with the family wedding, by your own doing. The way I see it, you're all in or you're not. If you shoot it, shoot it well and process it well. Especially if you plan on using it in your portfolio. For the friends wedding, either tell them straight up NO (give reasons as stated in previous posts), or give them a quote you know they'll turn down but will still make it worth it to your business to shoot if they say OK.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 18, 2014 13:42 |  #21

rivas8409 wrote in post #16844108 (external link)
Recent conversation....

Sister-in-law: "Can you take photos at her baptism and the party after?"
Me: "Sure! Normally a day long event like that is $2,000 minimum, but I'll do it for you for $1,500."

......Her jaw just about dropped to the driveway, and she gave me a blank stare.

Sister-in-law: "Come on! We're family, you're going to be there already. Just bring your camera and take some pictures for free."
Me: "I like that car you're driving from the dealership. Let's go to the lot, have your brother draw up the paperwork and let me drive it home for free. We're already here in town." (My sister-in-law owns a car dealership, family run business)

Needless-to-say I did not get a free 2012 Ford Fusion. I knew what she was getting at by asking in the first place, and to be honest I have NO INTEREST in shooting it because I would rather enjoy the party with the family and not be stressed about working to get good images. Since I knew what she was expecting I gave her a price that I knew she would refuse. And if she surpised me and said OK, it would make it worth my time.

Sorry my friend, but it looks like you're stuck with the family wedding, by your own doing. The way I see it, you're all in or you're not. If you shoot it, shoot it well and process it well. Especially if you plan on using it in your portfolio. For the friends wedding, either tell them straight up NO (give reasons as stated in previous posts), or give them a quote you know they'll turn down but will still make it worth it to your business to shoot if they say OK.

This. It reminds me of a friend of mine who is a pro 'tog (makes pretty much his entire living from it). Somebody asked him to work a wedding on a weekend he didn't really want to work so he quoted the guy a price that was three times his normal rate. Well, the guy didn't even blink, and just said (paraphrasing) "Great, be there at 10:00". Basically the guy made him an offer he couldn't refuse, so he didn't refuse it...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 18, 2014 13:47 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #22

Why is it so hard for some people to say no? Friends and family ask me to do weddings and I say no, straight up and down. If they get pissed thats on them. No is a really easy word to say.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 18, 2014 13:51 |  #23

peeaanuut wrote in post #16844156 (external link)
Why is it so hard for some people to say no? Friends and family ask me to do weddings and I say no, straight up and down. If they get pissed thats on them. No is a really easy word to say.

Totally agree! Say now to family and friends. Weddings are TONS of work and there is no way you should do this type of critical work for family or friends.....not fair to anyone. SAY NO TO PHOTOGRAPHING FAMILY AND FRIEND WEDDINGS.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,499 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2014 14:03 |  #24

stathunter wrote in post #16844165 (external link)
SAY NO TO PHOTOGRAPHING FAMILY AND FRIEND WEDDINGS.

Generally speaking I would agree with that, but every photographer will have their own exceptions.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2014 22:02 |  #25

stathunter wrote in post #16844165 (external link)
SAY NO TO PHOTOGRAPHING FAMILY AND FRIEND WEDDINGS.

I don't really agree with this. At least 10 of the weddings I have shot have been for friends/family.

Peter

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,654 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 19, 2014 21:53 |  #26

scd wrote in post #16835153 (external link)
. . . I feel like I can't say no as it would really affect our (future) relationship... but on the other hand I don't really want to do it . . .

Would you feel the same way if you were a plumber and they were asking you to wire the new addition? You might want to say "no" on the basis of wedding photography being a specialized activity that is only in some ways similar to the work you do.

If the relationships are so important and fragile that you must accept the gigs you might want to consider taking some only without compensation and with advance apologies. "This is not my usual work and may not turn out at all well compared with that of a good experienced wedding shooter."

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 20, 2014 17:52 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #27

Yeah, I do shoot photos for friends and family that others would probably charge them for, but a wedding? Uh, no.

Not even if you pay me; I've seen enough of Bridezilla when I'm a wedding guest.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

s1a1om
510 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 21, 2014 11:49 |  #28

archer1960 wrote in post #16844138 (external link)
This. It reminds me of a friend of mine who is a pro 'tog (makes pretty much his entire living from it). Somebody asked him to work a wedding on a weekend he didn't really want to work so he quoted the guy a price that was three times his normal rate. Well, the guy didn't even blink, and just said (paraphrasing) "Great, be there at 10:00". Basically the guy made him an offer he couldn't refuse, so he didn't refuse it...

If someone showed up to your house tomorrow and offered you $10 Million for it, would you say "it's not for sale"?

Everything has a price, you just need to figure out what it is.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 21, 2014 11:57 as a reply to  @ post 16835153 |  #29

You CAN say no. So do it.

Gear List

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 21, 2014 12:27 |  #30

s1a1om wrote in post #16850428 (external link)
If someone showed up to your house tomorrow and offered you $10 Million for it, would you say "it's not for sale"?

Everything has a price, you just need to figure out what it is.

Yup.

sponsored links

5,348 views & 0 likes for this thread
Friends/Family who want free/low cost wedding photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.