Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any telescoping crossbar that does not bend.

MANswers
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 20, 2014 19:31 |  #1

I have shortlisted the ABSL Ravelli backdrop kit, however i would like to swap out the crossbar to a telescoping version. the ravelli backdrop is super sturdy and heavy duty, with air cushion option.. to match up this setup i want a telescoping crossbar that is super sturdy as well, that does not bend. please guide.

sponsored links
CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 20, 2014 20:03 |  #2

Check out the Photoflex Backdrop Pole. It is heavy duty and telescopes to 12' 6". I've used one for years and also have the ABSL. The Photoflex pole is sturdy, easy to adjust and does not sag. I like the solid end caps which make set up secure. Only drawback is it collapses to 54" which is not short, so keep that in mind if you want to transport it.

MANswers
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 21, 2014 10:58 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #3

Thanks for your reply. The photoflex backdrop pole looks very good.. gosh but its huge. you cannot store them in a bag or even will have a hard time with taking them in your car... probably needs a van :)
have you/anyone used the Manfrotto backdrop pole.
http://www.filmtools.c​om/botecrbacat2.html (external link)
They have some great mechanism on it too.. looks sturdy too.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 21, 2014 11:07 |  #4

I don't have any of these poles, but it's no coincidence that the Photoflex is huge and doesn't flex. Stiffness is mostly determined by exterior diameter and thickness, and sag by length, diameters, and weight. Assuming these poles are all similar thickness aluminum, the only way you are getting less sag is with a larger diameter.

Don't believe any claims of no sag from any horizontal bar, unless it's pre-curved upward and sags to be straight. Reduced sag sure, maybe even sag so small that it can't be seen, but not zero sag.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 21, 2014 11:11 |  #5

What advantage does a telescoping bar offer over the stock Ravelli bar?

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2014 16:32 as a reply to  @ tandemhearts's post |  #6

I do TONS of on-location events such as Corporate Events, Proms, High School Homecoming Dances, etc..... And I have four Manfrotto Telescoping Cross Bars and absolutely LOVE them. Very sturdy and compact and will fit inside of a standard 44" stand bag. Will open up to 9.5' so it's able to hold your background muslins and paper. Well worth the price. However, there are other knock-offs that are just as sturdy that I will recommend. My friend have two of these and they are just as sturdy and just as good. They are silver and not black like the Manfrotto and they're not as compact as the Manfrotto (44"). Instead, they are about 48", which makes it difficult to find a stand bag to carry them in. But the up side is that they are less than $30..... Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​2ed0fc2263 (external link)

MARK

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 21, 2014 16:52 |  #7

I have the Manfrotto as well and highly recommend it. I use it with both 54" a and 107" seamless. No problem.

MANswers
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 21, 2014 17:58 |  #8

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16851080 (external link)
I do TONS of on-location events such as Corporate Events, Proms, High School Homecoming Dances, etc..... And I have four Manfrotto Telescoping Cross Bars and absolutely LOVE them. Very sturdy and compact and will fit inside of a standard 44" stand bag. Will open up to 9.5' so it's able to hold your background muslins and paper. Well worth the price. However, there are other knock-offs that are just as sturdy that I will recommend. My friend have two of these and they are just as sturdy and just as good. They are silver and not black like the Manfrotto and they're not as compact as the Manfrotto (44"). Instead, they are about 48", which makes it difficult to find a stand bag to carry them in. But the up side is that they are less than $30..... Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​2ed0fc2263 (external link)

frugivore wrote in post #16851108 (external link)
I have the Manfrotto as well and highly recommend it. I use it with both 54" a and 107" seamless. No problem.

thanks for your replies guys, so while we are on manfrotto corssbars, can you also guide me if the manfrotto backdrop kit is worth it? there is a backdrop kit that comes with the same crossbar.
http://www.adorama.com​/BG314B.html (external link)
the entire thing is for 270+ dollars, if you leave out 70 *the cost of the crossbar*, is it worth spending 200 for this stand? I was debating between ABSL Ravelli and the PBL heavy duty stands by steve kaeser. the abs ravelli and the manfrotto crossbar will cost me 170 bucks, while the pbl stands will cost me around 140 with the manfrotto crossbar. However if the manfrotto backdrop over all is a good kit, i will go with that.. what are your suggestions on this?

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2014 18:29 |  #9

MANswers wrote in post #16851219 (external link)
thanks for your replies guys, so while we are on manfrotto corssbars, can you also guide me if the manfrotto backdrop kit is worth it? there is a backdrop kit that comes with the same crossbar.
http://www.adorama.com​/BG314B.html (external link)
the entire thing is for 270+ dollars, if you leave out 70 *the cost of the crossbar*, is it worth spending 200 for this stand? I was debating between ABSL Ravelli and the PBL heavy duty stands by steve kaeser. the abs ravelli and the manfrotto crossbar will cost me 170 bucks, while the pbl stands will cost me around 140 with the manfrotto crossbar. However if the manfrotto backdrop over all is a good kit, i will go with that.. what are your suggestions on this?

NO.....
Purchase a good crossbar and stands separately.
You could get a couple of nicely used Manfrotto 10' Stands for under $100 and a Manfrotto Cross Bar for about $50 (Total = $150). Used Manfrotto Stands are plentiful but a used Manfrotto Cross Bar is rare, so you might have to settle for a "NEW" Manfrotto Cross Bar.

MARK

MANswers
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 21, 2014 20:08 |  #10

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16851297 (external link)
NO.....
Purchase a good crossbar and stands separately.
You could get a couple of nicely used Manfrotto 10' Stands for under $100 and a Manfrotto Cross Bar for about $50 (Total = $150). Used Manfrotto Stands are plentiful but a used Manfrotto Cross Bar is rare, so you might have to settle for a "NEW" Manfrotto Cross Bar.

Wow, why didn't i post this earlier, i have been researching for almost a week.
Thats a fantastic suggestion. Although i don't know where to find the Manfrotto 1052BAC stand in used condition. don't see on ebay as well as criagslist. The reason i was looking for the 1052bac model was cos of the air cushion. I realize its not important for a backdrop.. however one of my colleague hurt his palm really bad with a backdrop stand w/o air cushion. makes me paranoid.

say_cheese
790 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 22, 2014 16:28 |  #11

frugivore wrote in post #16851108 (external link)

Same with me, Manfrotto with 107" heavy muslin, and it does not sag and is reasonably prices.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

sponsored links

4,475 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any telescoping crossbar that does not bend.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.