Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 18, 2014 13:23 |  #31

sharod wrote in post #16838205 (external link)
Love it!!!

BUT, it is said in a tone that is dripping with love ;):lol:

That's what I keep telling myself. She's really going to lose it when I'm done overseas and move up there; especially if I get a partial studio set-up in my aparment :)

sponsored links
Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,783 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 19, 2014 21:39 |  #32

As long as you aren't making the whole vacation a photography exhibition he needs to realize that this is YOUR vacation as well as his. I am sure you make concessions for the other couple so they should understand your passions as well. If they don't understand then maybe you need to find other people to travel with. We travel with my brother and sister in law who are not into photography much at all but they will give me all the time i need to get a particular shot if I need it...and they don't complain!

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 20, 2014 05:37 |  #33

Point-n-shoot-n wrote in post #16847126 (external link)
As long as you aren't making the whole vacation a photography exhibition he needs to realize that this is YOUR vacation as well as his. I am sure you make concessions for the other couple so they should understand your passions as well. If they don't understand then maybe you need to find other people to travel with. We travel with my brother and sister in law who are not into photography much at all but they will give me all the time i need to get a particular shot if I need it...and they don't complain!

I just went and counted how many pics I took on my 8 days cruise......230 :(

I bought an 8mm fisheye, intending on some interesting photos. It made it out of the bag zero times.

I am not blaming the other person, I only have myself to blame. I should have just followed Nike's motto, "Just do it"! But I was more concerned with the other party's feelings, and for that, I suffered photographically.

I am in the planning stage for a trip out west, Yellowstone, Teton's, Glacier. As much as I do love this other couple, I will not invite them along. This will be a great photographic opportunity, and I plan on taking full advantage of it :D!!!!!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,783 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 20, 2014 13:52 |  #34

The problem with looking out for everyone else's feelings is yours inevitably get hurt.....just remember you are entitled just as much as everyone else is.....look out for #1 !!

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 21, 2014 02:43 |  #35

joedlh wrote in post #16825864 (external link)
Yes. My ex-wife.

The thing is, when you've captured a moment, it becomes more significant with time. Nobody remembers the amount of time you spent getting it right. Too bad the impatient folk don't get that.

I get what you're saying and I see your point, but let's look at it from their perspective. During shooting, photographers are selling people on the promise that they WILL get it right. And promises are kind of cheap.

Now combine that with how a lot of photographers actually only make a relatively small number of images that anyone will care about after a year. It's typical for LOTS of images to get weeded out entirely. Of the ones that are deemed worthy of full attention and result in prints or whatnot, they'll usually get forgotten fairly quickly, drowned out by the other good images you're making (and if this doesn't happen, you aren't making enough images). And ultimately, even if you're producing a lot of good work and are reliable enough that most of your work is good enough to get proper final treatment, that still means that you're drowning out most of your OWN work. It's like if my wife was a photographer (I don't have a wife) and she was constantly bombarding me with great images. Sure, that's fine, but realistically speaking I only have so much time in my day and so much space in my brain to remember all of that great content. Unless I'm looking at her stuff over and over again, a lot of it is just not going to matter to me because I don't have the time to revisit it. It's like watching a movie. Even if it's great, people are always looking for great stuff that is NEW. The great stuff just then keeps on piling up, which leaves most people very little time to keep rewatching the great movies that they've already seen. Outside of a few cases, most of that just gets lost in fading memory because you see it and appreciate it and then move on to other stuff. It might be great now, but the chances of you caring about it in two years are probably pretty slim.

And that's kind of the case with photography. I'm enjoying the moment NOW. Someone then asks me to put that enjoyment on pause, based on the idea that they'll give me images that I'll enjoy for a lifetime. And it is VERY hard to deliver on that promise. Because even if all of your images end up being great (which is unlikely), it is unlikely that THIS particular image is gonna be one that I care about in a couple of years.

Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just asking to look at it from the other side. I absolutely understand why people get impatient.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 21, 2014 03:06 |  #36

sharod wrote in post #16847618 (external link)
I just went and counted how many pics I took on my 8 days cruise......230 :(

I bought an 8mm fisheye, intending on some interesting photos. It made it out of the bag zero times.

I am not blaming the other person, I only have myself to blame. I should have just followed Nike's motto, "Just do it"! But I was more concerned with the other party's feelings, and for that, I suffered photographically.

I am in the planning stage for a trip out west, Yellowstone, Teton's, Glacier. As much as I do love this other couple, I will not invite them along. This will be a great photographic opportunity, and I plan on taking full advantage of it :D!!!!!

Well, gee...you're disappointed that you ONLY got 230 images out of an 8 day cruise? That tells me that you shoot a LOT. That also tells me that nearly all of those images would ultimately amount to nothing. Even if half of those images were absolutely awesome, the average photographer lacks the resources to do anything with them. That stuff isn't gonna be hanging in a gallery, it's vacation pictures. At best, you're gonna print them small and have them framed around your house. A few might end up as wallet sized prints, a few might be small prints in the bedroom or living room, but no one has space for 130 prominent prints. The vast majority of that stuff is gonna be confined to a digital folder, which means that people have to deliberately go out of their way to keep looking at, which means that it's rarely gonna happen because no one has that much time to keep looking through that many old photos.

Again, I'm not saying don't shoot. I'm just saying that if you are gonna shoot, you probably SHOULD care about the other person's feelings. Because realistically, if you're working enough to be consistently good, then the vast majority of your output is gonna end up in a box in the attic. Photographers are collectors, and the thing about collectors is that they tend to pile up stuff that no one is ever gonna care about or even see again.

You've gotta take that into consideration. Because while you're thinking about capturing the moment, the person who you're asking to stop for a picture is likely just thinking about how he's stopping his fun for a picture that's probably gonna end up boxed away without ever being looked at again. I'm not saying to not take pictures, I'm just saying that one should probably be really discreet about it unless it's the rare case of a photo opportunity that you know is just really gonna turn out to be magical. And when you shoot 230 pictures in 8 days, most of those photos don't fit the bill. ONLY 230 pictures in 8 days means that you've still gotta do a lot of editing for those images to have any lasting impact.

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 21, 2014 08:56 |  #37

sharod wrote in post #16847618 (external link)

Good for you! Get out there, take all of the time you want and get some good pictures.

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 21, 2014 10:59 |  #38

Point-n-shoot-n wrote in post #16848408 (external link)
The problem with looking out for everyone else's feelings is yours inevitably get hurt.....just remember you are entitled just as much as everyone else is.....look out for #1 !!

This is NOT true! One cannot, should not, hold up a group for personal needs. If your group is fast moving and likes to see lots of things, then you demanding that they stop and wait for you is disrespectful. You have to work with the group dynamic. Either shoot on-the-go with minimal fuss, or plan into the vacation time for you to shoot at your pace.

The SO and I were in Las Vegas with their family (my in-laws). I wanted to get pictures at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. While planning events and outings, I made sure to include a morning where I could go catch the sunrise. I met some of the family for breakfast after the shoot.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 21, 2014 13:38 |  #39

I shoot solo for one reason. I cater to no one but the landscape I am engaged with. I can take an hour or 10 minutes and I don't have to put up with attitude as a distraction.

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 21, 2014 18:37 |  #40

jetcode wrote in post #16850714 (external link)
I shoot solo for one reason. I cater to no one but the landscape I am engaged with. I can take an hour or 10 minutes and I don't have to put up with attitude as a distraction.

My sentiments exactly!

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 21, 2014 18:58 |  #41

jetcode wrote in post #16850714 (external link)

mark48 wrote in post #16851318 (external link)
My sentiments exactly!

I think I will treat myself to some "me" time. I live 30 minutes from Antietam Battlefield, and 45 minutes from Gettysburg Battlefield. I have been on Flickr getting some ideas for locations. Now, I just need to get out and shoot :D

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 21, 2014 20:03 |  #42

sounds like a nice subject. :)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 23, 2014 05:22 |  #43

Nukehed wrote in post #16850311 (external link)
This is NOT true! One cannot, should not, hold up a group for personal needs. If your group is fast moving and likes to see lots of things, then you demanding that they stop and wait for you is disrespectful. You have to work with the group dynamic. Either shoot on-the-go with minimal fuss, or plan into the vacation time for you to shoot at your pace.

I agree totally !!
you are a group and you should work as a group !
when i read "you wait people clear the place" "wait the good light" "wait whatever" it does not take 1 minute as you said (may be in your mind)
It seems that you see only your POV not his point of view ...
When i travel with my wife and friends i shot on the go without stopping the group, but in this case i usually don't shot or just the group, or if i want time i tell the group "see you in 2 or 3 hours at this place", but i will care to not pull back the group even if they all like taking pics ... ( in all cases, i prefer to be alone to shoot )

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

VosAmour
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2014 13:13 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
IL2AZ
101 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2014 18:09 |  #45

(Deep Sigh...) The lack of patience and complaining from the wife has definitely led me to go it alone. Oh well, things could be worse. It's actually very peaceful.

Canon 50D, 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 430EX II,

sponsored links

6,567 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.