Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 06:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arrgg..how to handle this...

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2014 13:06 |  #406

My best advice to you is to not fly by the seat of your pants and do not things to be "kind" or based upon feelings. Being nice only gets you trampled. Nice guys finish last. Business is a tough place and if you aren't well organized and educated in the legal wranglings of it, it can bite you in the ass and make you bow out early.

sponsored links
PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 17, 2014 14:25 |  #407

I have to admit to be drawn to this thread, reminds me of myself quite some time ago (which does not really matter, other than it makes me feel old he he).

One thing I constantly see happening with photographers out there -and people in general- is a generalization that is probably done in the mind, most times without even noticing.

Let me get to the point. A good Chef, may feel like he could run a restaurant. A great basketball player, that he could manage being part of a proffesional team. All things possible, but they bunch up a few things that should be learned separately.

Being a photographer is about learning the tricks and tips, and finding your own identity while capturing images. This is a lifetime's process, and one full of enjoyment and experiences.

A photography business (or doing business as a photographer) is a different endeavour entirely. This has to do with knowing what you have that other people want, and then learning how to go through the process of doing so. In the simplest form, a photoshoot. (How to find your customer, how to agree to terms, contracts, payments, delivery of goods, and warranties or arrangements in case of contingencies).

I know people (well one or two) who are excellent business people, but they are honest to god, crappy photographers. However, they know who to talk to, how, and they get the contracts. On the other hand, I know about a hundred of talented photographers who become jaded because the dream of having their own photo business (the seeming holy grail of photographers, a way to pay for your own toys, and spend your time doing what you love) crashes burning their dreams, and often their gear and savings. I know this well, because it once happened to me.

All I am saying is, after reading this thread over and over, treat both photography and business as separate things. Constantly hone in your skills in both. And don't let one affect the other. Be a confident photographer, and do honest business. (if you do not separate these, you cannot learn and train on these to become profficient enough to succeed).

Hope it helps, its my honest lookback at the path traveled, and what I'd share with someone who is just getting started.

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2014 15:37 |  #408

^^^ Great post

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

GTS ­ Photo
40 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 17, 2014 15:59 |  #409

RMH wrote in post #16841688 (external link)
^^^ Great post

+1.

Krichton
126 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 17, 2014 16:12 as a reply to  @ post 16823913 |  #410

porky101 wrote in post #16822183 (external link)
I have been using my 7D since 2012....I have taken over 40,000 pictures with it.....I know the camera inside out backwards every setting....what am I missing so that it sometimes exposes right and sometimes exposes wrong? (flash ETTL). When ETTL was not working, I switched to Manual power and still got the shot.
That being said, +2 EV on lightroom makes the picture perfect even with an underexposed flash. So not a deal breaker on the photo...but would still like to know why its under exposing. I was shooting through a gary phong....could that cause an issue?

This time, I would prefer to keep my price private. It seems here that the "higher" the price the more people will comment on how you need this or that etc etc

I don't understand why you have your flash set to ETTL with a modifier on. Shouldn't you be on manual power? Perhaps this is the reason why you are underexposing. My experience with flash photography is extremely limited so maybe someone else can answer this.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 17, 2014 16:32 |  #411

PhotoJourno wrote in post #16841529 (external link)
I have to admit to be drawn to this thread, reminds me of myself quite some time ago (which does not really matter, other than it makes me feel old he he).

You have come a log way, Mario. I am proud to know you. :)

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 17, 2014 17:23 |  #412

Skip Souza wrote in post #16841798 (external link)
You have come a log way, Mario. I am proud to know you. :)

Skipper!!! Many greetings to you and your lovely family.
I think we will see a lot more Mario around POTN

(Clarification note: Not more of me, as in pics of me)
(Clarification to Clariifcation note: I will post pics that I capture, but none of me, specially not in the glamour section. Sorry, those days are over ;) )
(Clarification to clarification of clarification note: I am glad to be around, missed you my friends)

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

rholly
45 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2014 14:37 |  #413

I just spent too much time reading this whole thread. I want my money refunded.

IlliniFan99
83 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 21, 2014 12:59 |  #414

rholly wrote in post #16844280 (external link)

I promise to refund it.

Oh wait, I changed my mind. :)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 21, 2014 14:11 |  #415

rholly wrote in post #16844280 (external link)

We'll be glad to refund every penny you spent to join this group...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 27, 2014 17:08 |  #416

Hey Guys,

So Did the shoot in Cape Town it went really well, Ill post the pictures when Im back on my main computer.

Here is one photo I took when I had a few minutes, let me know what you think, what a beautifull place!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: data

https://www.flickr.com …89580052@N07/14​037432732/ (external link)

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 27, 2014 18:28 |  #417

porky101 wrote in post #16865483 (external link)
Hey Guys,

So Did the shoot in Cape Town it went really well, Ill post the pictures when Im back on my main computer.

Here is one photo I took when I had a few minutes, let me know what you think, what a beautifull place!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | Content warning: data

https://www.flickr.com …89580052@N07/14​037432732/ (external link)

Lighten the foreground a bit. There is a lot of detail being missed. I really think it will improve the image.

MyFlickr (external link)

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 28, 2014 03:47 |  #418

Ye i know, dont have CS installed on this pc....will fix it up when im home:)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 29, 2014 12:45 |  #419

Actually using ETTL, from my own experience, accounts for whether you have a modifier on your flash or not. Unless your flash can not compensate at 1/1, the current camera bodies do a pre-flash as part of the TTL process and it tells the flash what power to use to get proper exposure. So it does not matter if you have a modifier on or not.
The ETTL function is not something I use regularly, but in a pinch if I know I will only have one chance to get a shot, I hit ETTL and know I will at least get a proper exposure, up to the limits of full power on the flash that is, and I can always adjust some what in post.

Krichton wrote in post #16841754 (external link)
I don't understand why you have your flash set to ETTL with a modifier on. Shouldn't you be on manual power? Perhaps this is the reason why you are underexposing. My experience with flash photography is extremely limited so maybe someone else can answer this.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 29, 2014 13:54 |  #420

Iscariotau wrote in post #16865625 (external link)
Lighten the foreground a bit. There is a lot of detail being missed. I really think it will improve the image.

Maybe. If he's shooting his 7D the shadows will be 100% noise. Nailing exposure the first time through is critical with the 7D. You can ETTR but never underexpose.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links

59,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arrgg..how to handle this...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.