Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Large design firms don't "buy" photographs?

ram1958
206 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 21, 2014 16:35 |  #1

In the past month, two large design / engineering companies have contacted me regarding "donating" local images for commercial use.
The donated photographs would be part of design and remodeling projects at large chain restaurants.

Seems, both Applebees and Pizza Hut are in the process of refreshing and remodeling hundreds of restaurants across the good old USA.

Evidently, the design companies, (contracted) are donating :rolleyes: some services because they don't have a budget for "locally themed" photography for said "locally themed" design.

What's most aggravating (to me) is that large design, graphics and engineering firms have no qualms in using "donated" or "credited" work in their for profit business model.

Invariably, someone will provide the photographs for credit and that "credit" won't even buy them a damn meal! :cry:

Bob

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 21, 2014 16:50 |  #2

If someone offered you a free camera, would you turn it down?

Make them an offer, and remind them that it still stands every now and then. If they have months left on the project then they won't be in any hurry to pay out for soft elements of their project if they think they might be able to get them for free/super cheap. When deadlines are becoming short most people become more willing to use up some of their budget to get what they need.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 21, 2014 17:00 |  #3

Do what I do, provide them a link to a page where they can purchase usage rights. ;) Granted I usually don't hear back after that. :confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 21, 2014 17:04 |  #4

Billion dollar companies are begging for free photos....

"Evidently, the design companies, (contracted) are donating some services because they don't have a budget for "locally themed" photography for said "locally themed" design. "

The part they donating is your free photos.

Quote them standard commercial rates, they on a fishing trip to see where they can reduce their costs to make the maximum profit.

Unfortunately, on the other hand someone is bound to "donate" a photo just for the thrill....

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,168 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 21, 2014 17:21 |  #5

This is very common and getting more so all the time. The news is filled with credited shots, especially the weather reports. Craigs list has requests for wedding photogs for low cost or free, sr. portraits, travel brochures, heck, even Pizza Hut was using sent in photos for a national commercial. I think that many people just don't see the value in photography anymore and are happy someone shows interest. Odds are that they will get all they need and then some and many will be happy if their photo makes it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 22, 2014 10:21 |  #6

If your work is not any better than what someone else will give away for free why should you get paid for it?

That's how I see it and it applies to all fields; you're either worth what you charge in a free market, including those who price their services at zero, or you're not.

The problem isn't that someone else is giving away service. It's that you aren't good enough to command your asking price.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 22, 2014 10:52 |  #7

tickerguy wrote in post #16852611 (external link)
If your work is not any better than what someone else will give away for free why should you get paid for it?

That's how I see it and it applies to all fields; you're either worth what you charge in a free market, including those who price their services at zero, or you're not.

The problem isn't that someone else is giving away service. It's that you aren't good enough to command your asking price.

Don't take away from the very talented amateurs out there who can turn out professional quality work but don't need the money. ;) That's part of the problem out there right now. For example, imagine if you needed to get your car fixed and you had a choice, let the dealer fix it or try your luck with little Jimmy next door who just got his first tool kit. Chances are Jimmy's not going to be the right choice, even for free. However, what if "Jimmy" were actually a retired mastertech with a fully stocked garage who was willing to fix your car for free just for the fun of it? That's about where photography is at right now. :confused:

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,168 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2014 11:05 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16852682 (external link)
...For example, imagine if you needed to get your car fixed and you had a choice, let the dealer fix it or try your luck with little Jimmy next door who just got his first tool kit. Chances are Jimmy's not going to be the right choice, even for free. However, what if "Jimmy" were actually a retired mastertech with a fully stocked garage who was willing to fix your car for free just for the fun of it? That's about where photography is at right now. :confused:

That's my feeling as well. Just look at the images being shared here and many other share sites. The quality of work has improved dramatically and much of it is from people who make their living doing something else and photography is done for fun. There will always be a need for professionals but with access to such large libraries of images from folks who would be happy to see them published even for no compensation, the market is going to change and it will become more difficult for those trying to make a living from photography.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 22, 2014 11:20 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #16852708 (external link)
That's my feeling as well. Just look at the images being shared here and many other share sites. The quality of work has improved dramatically and much of it is from people who make their living doing something else and photography is done for fun. There will always be a need for professionals but with access to such large libraries of images from folks who would be happy to see them published even for no compensation, the market is going to change and it will become more difficult for those trying to make a living from photography.

I remember about this time last year or so during a discussion about stock photography, someone made a statement that really sums up the direction of the photography market today. Basically, photography is moving back to a patronage model. We're getting to the point where there is so much cheap or outright free photography available that if you want to make a living from photography it'll be through paid shoots, not stock image sales or "portfolio pieces". Even the guys who used to make a living shooting fine art and landscapes are having to turn to books, blogs and workshops to make money now.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,154 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 22, 2014 11:23 |  #10

Disgusting.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 22, 2014 11:29 |  #11

tickerguy wrote in post #16852611 (external link)

Except that there are some very good photographers who do not have the overhead that a full time pro has so they can charge half the rate.

Not to mention that to most of the population "good enough" is probably achieved by anyone who is shooting for a year or two. So to Pizza Hut your work may be better, but the don't need better. They need cheaper (read: free).

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,769 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 22, 2014 11:34 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #12

As long as new people continue to be convinced that they are going to get recognition and exposure from these publication and as long as all your big name instructors continue to teach people that this is how you get recognition and grow a business.....we will continue to see companies refusing to pay for photography services.....why should you pay for something when there is plenty of people that will give it to you fro free ??

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 22, 2014 12:24 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16852682 (external link)
Don't take away from the very talented amateurs out there who can turn out professional quality work but don't need the money.......

There is an incredible amount of very, very good work being produced for free. And every day these "libraries" of photos become more widely accessible to potential clients.

—Eric

ram1958
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 22, 2014 12:44 as a reply to  @ tickerguy's post |  #14

Ticker, not sure of your point...:confused:

I have no intention of providing "quality" images without compensation, period.

My example:
The (design firms) initially contact the local chambers, city administrations and newspapers for quality images.
In turn, referrals (local photographers) are made.

Design firms business depend on and employ creative professionals architects, graphic / interior designers, lighting engineers and the like. The large firms have in house staff.
Obviously not all aspects of a design project can be done in house and this is where local photographers are required.

The firms contact local photographers and request "donated" images, for use in the "locally themed" remodeling project.

My rub: Despite local imagery being a key element of the design project, the photography is devalued to such an extent that images should be donated!
(note: per news releases in some cases these large scale remodeling projects have budgets in excess of $200,000)

I'm not aware of requests for "donated" lighting designs and fixtures.

In Summary:
At one time, these types of projects, would have been an opportunity for a (paid) assignment for local photographers. (albeit maybe a one a done)

Since sourcing free local images has worked before, the practice will continue.

Not breaking news... Take it for what it's worth... personally I don't like it nor will I participate in the devaluation of our craft.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2014 13:36 |  #15

benji25 wrote in post #16852769 (external link)
but the don't need better. They need cheaper (read: free).

No, they WANT free...needs and wants are not the same thing...;)

And since he wasn't contacted by Pizza Hut, but by the design firm, let's not assume Pizza Hut is the one trolling on the cheap without more info..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

23,376 views & 0 likes for this thread
Large design firms don't "buy" photographs?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.