Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 16 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Horseshoe Bend at night

EKOEPP
312 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 17, 2014 22:47 |  #16

Epic

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

sponsored links
e30mikec
105 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 18, 2014 19:46 |  #17

Wonderful shot! Would love to see this blown up and printed.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/m_colby/ (external link)
/ 6D / 24-105L / 85 1.8 /
Follow my Road Trip Blog
http://lost-on-land.tumblr.com (external link)

Zerimar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,528 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2014 20:15 as a reply to  @ e30mikec's post |  #18

A blog post outlining how this shot was done:

http://rickrphoto.word​press.com …cing-landscape-composite/ (external link)

Rick Rose - Add me! (external link) Photography Los Angeles California Hasselblad H2 x2 + Phase One IQ150 | Canon 5D MkII | RRS TVC-34L BH-55
HC 35 f3.5 | HC 100 f2.2 | HC 120 f4 Macro |HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5 | 85 f1.2 MkII L | 100 f2.8 Macro | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | Profoto + Mola
Gear List | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,216 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 18, 2014 22:09 |  #19

Great job faking the sky and stars.
Don

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2014 06:58 |  #20

No offense, but how can you say "third times a charm" for your visit there when the part of your picture that people are saying wow to (the night sky) wasn't even taken in the same state as the foreground? It would be one thing if you took two shots at the same location and blended those, but this is a little misleading. I think it's a cool image but maybe should be posted in a different forum like a photoshopping forum.

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 19, 2014 08:00 |  #21

Rick,

You have misled people into thinking this was an image that you captured at Horseshoe Bend, which is not the case. Half of the picture was taken at Horseshoe Bend and half of it was taken in Death Valley. You have created a computer-generated artificial scene rather then a photograph. The end result may be pleasing to the eye, but it is not a real landscape that exists in any form of physical reality.

Bryan

My Gear List

tomtomadv
22 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 19, 2014 11:00 |  #22

Incredible shot.
I can see every stars at detail.

HD Wallpaper list (external link) make your desktop look stunning

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 19, 2014 22:56 as a reply to  @ post 16842384 |  #23

amazing! I especially love the look of the water, but everything else is spectacular too. if I were to make any comment though it would be that the vignetting of the sky looks a little odd to me. just doesn't look right. but still looks beautiful.

edit: I just read the part about the compositing from a different location. hmm... I think I might agree with the comments above on that. I think it's one thing to composite many pictures from the same location (which I do myself), but to me what is depicted here never existed.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2014 12:39 |  #24

I don't know why half of the respondents are so up in arms about this. It's a gorgeous image and he isn't trying to fool anyone - it's clearly stated in the thread and the subsequent blog link this is a composite.

No, it's not in the documentry style but he's not representing it as such either. In the end, it's a wonderful image created with a camera and post processing...that's photography, albeit a different style than what some of the more vocal members care for.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 21, 2014 12:46 |  #25

MNUplander wrote in post #16850559 (external link)
I don't know why half of the respondents are so up in arms about this. It's a gorgeous image and he isn't trying to fool anyone - it's clearly stated in the thread and the subsequent blog link this is a composite.

No, it's not in the documentry style but he's not representing it as such either. In the end, it's a wonderful image created with a camera and post processing...that's photography, albeit a different style than what some of the more vocal members care for.

First off not a knock against the photo which is spectacular.

However in response to your comment, no it was not clearly stated. The whole first page of this thread was a misrepresentation. He started by saying he finally got this shot which implies he got the whole shot. A few posts later he stated he used a tilt shift which I thought he meant he tried to keep the aperture bigger while keeping both top and bottom in focus which would suggest to me that again he took a few shots of the same thing at around the same time.

He didn't mention anything about the sky not being there until the 2nd page. Unless I missed something?

Anyway again nothing against anyone. I'm sure it wasn't a purposeful misrepresentation but I do believe that it was read that way. It would have been clearer if the composite was mentioned in the first post.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 21, 2014 13:57 |  #26

MNUplander wrote in post #16850559 (external link)

I'm certainly not up in arms about it. And yes, it's a beautiful image that was conceived and created with software.

The image was displayed for several days with nothing more then ""Finally captured this image during my 3rd visit to Horseshoe Bend" before he later explained in further detail that was in fact a blend of two images that were captured in two completely different geographical areas. To me, that is very misleading until he explained what the image is that we're looking at.

Again, it's a gorgeous computer-generated scene, but it's not a landscape photograph when it contains things that absolutely do not exist at the same location. What if I used computer software to blend in Delicate Arch onto the edge of the Grand Canyon? Would that be a landscape photograph, or would it be a computer-generated scene? Once you start to mix completely different geographical elements together that can't be taken in the same frame, then it ceases to be a photograph.

Bryan

My Gear List

florianfrance
114 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 21, 2014 14:12 |  #27

Very nice

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 21, 2014 15:27 |  #28

OK, so I guess I wasn't aware of the sequence of events and should have paid more attention. So, for those of you that I rubbed wrong, please accept my apologies.

I guess where I diverge is that I don't hold the term "photography" as sacred. I'm of the mind that it can most certainly be called photography if the elements of the image are created with photographic equipment, skill and knowledge along with some luck, persistance and timing. This includes and goes beyond a picture of an Eskimo and Obama riding a tiny horizontal sky scraper like a teeter totter balanced on delicate arch. Of course, that doesnt mean everyone has to like it or it's any good - but that's no different than any other form of art.

This goes double when all of the elements in the composite are captured as well as they are in Zerimar's photo. Where I begin to take issue is if the artist misrepresents what they have created. I understand now this is probably where all the controversy began since it wasn't immediately identified as such.

I don't think it was intentional and this is a great image - bravo.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

flunky51
106 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2014 16:17 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #29

So, if the photographer had fixed in the light fall off in the upper corners, and created more of a realistic light fall off gradient where the earth meets the night sky - and not told anybody about his process, would everything be okay? I know lots of photographers who keep a file of sky/cloud photos - and lots of guidebooks that advocate the practice - to drop into their otherwise dull sky areas via masking. This photo is a nice effort that just needs a little tweaking. I celebrate the photographer's attempt to broaden his creative process with trial and error.

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 21, 2014 17:25 |  #30

flunky51 wrote in post #16851050 (external link)
So, if the photographer had fixed in the light fall off in the upper corners, and created more of a realistic light fall off gradient where the earth meets the night sky - and not told anybody about his process, would everything be okay?

No, it would not be ok as he would be leading (or misleading) people to believe that that was a legit photo taken at Horseshoe Bend. I think the overall finished product is awesome, but it's not pure photography. It may be art, but not pure photography. As a photographer, I want people to see what I saw at that location and would never want them questioning my integrity as a photographer. That being said, I have a few HDR images and a few selective coloring shots that' I've done, but I always, always make sure people know they are just that.

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links

9,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
Horseshoe Bend at night
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.