Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can we talk about solutions for backpacking?

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 21, 2014 18:39 as a reply to  @ post 16851315 |  #16

IMAGE: http://mainbytephotos.com/potn/camera_holster1.jpg
Does it swing back and forth when coming down hill ? We tend to hike down hill faster(due to gravity).

My Gear: Do you really want to know?

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 21, 2014 19:48 |  #17

Lyle Krannichfeld wrote in post #16851315 (external link)
Well, I am going to use one of the Luma Labs thingies (external link) sandwiched between my L bracket and camera, clipping the camera to my shoulder strap with a carabiner. I went as far as looking into making custom straps that will clip to my shoulder straps and the bag to drop my camera to my hip on the right side, but I think for the upcoming 4 day trip I'll keep it simple and see how it goes. I may add something like the op/tech slr pouch (external link) for some protection, though I'm more concerned with some protection from rain.

I'll pop my Lee filter pouch in the brain of my bag for easy access, along with an extra battery and lens cleaner. Still looking around at options for the inside of the bag, trying to find something self contained that I can use modularly inside of other things, like Pelican cases that I occasionally check. Maybe one of the F Stop ICU bags (external link). Thanks for the heads up on them, hadn't seen them before.

The tripod will just get lashed to the outside, hopefully to the loops for trekking poles and the like.

I have just come back from a trekking trip. I carried my camera and primary lens in a toploader bag mounted on my chest, with extra lenses, filters, extension tubes (etc.) inside my pack. My tripod was either inside the pack or mounted on the outside of the pack, depending on expected usage.

I used Op-Tech uni-loop connectors (http://optechusa.com/u​ni-loop-1178.html (external link)) to attach the toploader bag directly to D-rings on the shoulder straps of my main pack. This had the benefit of allowing me to detach the toploader bag and use it as a shoulder bag (when not using the main pack) just by carrying a shoulder pad with the same quick release connectors as the uni-loops (also Op/Tech).

I also have uni-loops on the camera lugs, so I can connect the camera to a wrist strap, the shoulder strap, or the shoulder straps of the pack. I find it to be a versatile system.

The camera is out of the way when walking, and the weight is carried on the shoulder straps of the pack - I really didn't even feel it when it was mounted. The only disadvantage is slightly reduced vision of your feet - this was less of a problem in practice than I expected.

Cheers, Damien

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 21, 2014 19:55 |  #18

I did look at that system, but with the humidity here I just don't want a camera bag strapped to my chest. We'll see how it goes, might come around to it.

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Tonga tours to swim with the Humpbacks: AUMAKUA TOURS (external link)
Sony A7R III, 12-24G, 16-35GM, 50 1.4ZA, 85 1.4GM
DJI Inspire 2 with X7 and 16, 24, 35, 50

mainbyte
332 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2014 18:22 |  #19

PerfectTan wrote in post #16851326 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
Does it swing back and forth when coming down hill ? We tend to hike down hill faster(due to gravity).

No, if you notice there is a belt that goes around my waist at the bottom of the camera holster. This keeps the camera from moving, pretty much, at all. I can remove this belt if I don't feel the need for it. But to be honest with you, when I am wearing this I don't even notice it, as it doesn't need to be too tight.

I also added a "safety" belt that is attached to the camera and the strap that goes around my neck. (the one looped by my stomach).

The one issue with this is that I have to add the lens hood if needed as it won't fit in the holster, but in practice it is no big deal.

... and thanks for the nice comments folks!

btw.. here is a link to the company that I er.. uh.. borrowed the idea from:

http://www.skytoptradi​ng.com/newsectiontest2​.html (external link)

Ron

Canon 6D | Canon 7DII | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-300 4/5.6L |100mm f/2.8L macro | 50mm 1.4 | 580exII | 2 - 430exII |

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 23, 2014 03:08 |  #20

Very good job with that holster, that's no mere cobbled together DIY project, it looks perfect and appears like it functions well too!

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 23, 2014 08:04 |  #21

Lyle Krannichfeld wrote in post #16851482 (external link)
I did look at that system, but with the humidity here I just don't want a camera bag strapped to my chest. We'll see how it goes, might come around to it.

I use it in the TX summer. In the mornings it's very humid. I'm sweating maximum amounts anyway, and none of it is going to evaporate no matter what I do. Honestly, if you carry a camera in a bag anywhere other than your main pack, then it's going to have to cover some skin surface area (like the holster above). The toploader chest pack does not hang there snug on your chest. It's only snug on the straps, starting at your shoulders and going down your back, but you already have a pack covering that surface area, so there's no additional heat load. In front, there is some airflow behind the toploader (not that it makes much difference in high humidity).

StayFrosty wrote in post #16854740 (external link)
Very good job with that holster, that's no mere cobbled together DIY project, it looks perfect and appears like it functions well too!

+1 A+ work there

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2014 03:16 |  #22

All the camp gear in the backpack. The camera and the lenses in a waterproof camera bag from Ortlieb on my chest.

sponsored links

7,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can we talk about solutions for backpacking?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.