Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can not install canon utility windows 8

steve6101
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2014 11:19 |  #1

Have 5d classic got a new laptop with windows 8 and will not install the utility's part so can not shoot tethered .
The new download from canon do'se not recognise 5d mk1
Can any one suggest a way round it or a fix?

sponsored links
blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 21, 2014 11:55 |  #2

i had lots of problems when trying to install the utility program,so in the end it ended up being two of my usb ports did not recognize the program,try using a another USB port and sometimes windows needs to update there usb drivers.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

steve6101
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2014 12:08 as a reply to  @ blanex1's post |  #3

Cannot install the original so can not update

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2014 12:18 |  #4

I don't know if things have changed, but at least with earlier versions of the Utilities the 5DC wasn't supported, I believe, but I may be mistaken there, I just never "tackled" it with my 5DC...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 21, 2014 13:15 |  #5

steve6101 wrote in post #16850487 (external link)
Cannot install the original so can not update

You don't have to install the original Digital Photo Pro. Registry hack allows you do install the latest version without installing the original first.

Open a registry editor (regedit) and go to the following key (assuming you have 64-bit Windows 8):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\DPP]
or
if you want to install EOS Utility, add this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\EOS Utility]

Chances are you won't see Canon and DPP or EOS Utility subkeys. Manually add them there. Exit the registry and retry installing Canon DPP/Utility.

More info: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …stall_canon_sof​tware.html (external link)
Note: Windows 8 is not mentioned in the above link but I believe the registry structure is the same as Windows 7.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 21, 2014 13:26 |  #6

I know when I bought my used T2i I contacted Canon EOS support via their email form and they sent me a link to download a full version of DPP after a few days. Go to the support page for your camera and click the "Support by email" link.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 22, 2014 00:07 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #7

It isn't all that difficult, you can download the entire Canon Suite of programs that are on the CD from the Canon website. All that you need to provide is your camera's serial number. If you get the serial number via Adobe Bridge metadata, you may need to add a leading zero -- at least that is what I experienced. One problem with the download version is that it does not give you the option of where you want to install it. I found that with Windows 7, any update automatically installs it in the C drive regardless of where the original version of the program was installed. Sort of a bummer if the C drive is a SSD.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2014 01:28 |  #8

But then the question is, does the Utilities app work with the 5D Classic? I heard it doesn't!...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 22, 2014 02:23 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

Weird situation where the computer is too new and the camera is too old. Old version of EOS Utility is required to support 5D but old version is not supported in Windows 8. The new version of EOS Utility which is supported in Windows 8 doesn't support the 5D.

A real "Catch 22".:rolleyes:

Mark

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 22, 2014 02:46 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #10

Well, the latest version works with my XTi, but of course it doesn't support newer capabilities beyond what the camera supported back when it was still in production. So with the XTi, I use EOS Utility to download images and with my 7D I can do tethered shooting.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 22, 2014 02:58 |  #11

rrblint wrote in post #16852025 (external link)
Weird situation where the computer is too new and the camera is too old. Old version of EOS Utility is required to support 5D but old version is not supported in Windows 8. The new version of EOS Utility which is supported in Windows 8 doesn't support the 5D.

A real "Catch 22".:rolleyes:

I don't know about W8, but W7 pro and ultimate can run older software in XP mode as a virtual machine within W7. Also you might be able to install and run it in comparability mode.

steve6101
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2014 03:56 |  #12

As Bill said that's the problem ,as I wish to tether my 5Dc that was the reason for the laptop
So looks like I will be looking for cheep copy of lightroom or some other tethering software ,any suggestion will be great fully recived

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Apr 22, 2014 09:02 |  #13

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16852065 (external link)
I don't know about W8, but W7 pro and ultimate can run older software in XP mode as a virtual machine within W7. Also you might be able to install and run it in comparability mode.

Yes, this is a real possibility. I've never tried it, as I have no need for old software so I can't help you with it, but I have read about other people doing this. Try the Windows 8 help website. Maybe they can provide you with the proper instructions. Good catch Bill.

Mark

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 10:39 |  #14

XP Mode is not available/supported on Windows 8.

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2014 11:32 |  #15

windows 8 ( & 8.1) use hyper-v which is M$ way to compete with vmware. it is a VM app but you must install your OS and license then apps. Also only supports limited hardware but USB is supported. I use this and it works pretty good.

for Windows 7 it is XP Mode. Was created to get people to move from Win XP to Win 7 but didnt fly that well. We are using XP Mode for machines that have software or supported HW where we can get them off of XP. Yes the VM is XP but we remove the NIC from the VM so they are not on the network and not vulnerable as XP is EOL.

for OP though he needs to get the software just working on his machine so curious if the reg hack worked or not. I need to get my surface pro 2 going with the DPP and EOS Util but I think my T2i software was good enough to install.

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

sponsored links

2,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can not install canon utility windows 8
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.