Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best way to clone Windows 7 OS to SSD?

dandingo
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 21, 2014 18:50 |  #1

So I've finally joined the 21st century and picked up a Crucial 240GB SSD. I installed it in my desktop and confirmed via the CMD prompt that it's showing up.

I did a bit of research and am currently in the process of using EaseUS to clone Windows 7. My question is, since the program hasn't gotten to this point yet, is will I be able to only choose the operating system and my applications? I ask because I have about 600GB of photos on my current hard drive but don't want to transfer those (and won't be able to because of their size). Also, is this the best way to clone my SSD and also have it as my boot drive? I'm a little green on this stuff.

My plan is to run the OS, apps (LR and PS) as well as the LR cache and catalog on the SSD and I'm picking up a Drobo from a friend later this week for my backup.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2014 00:28 |  #2

You really, really should consider doing a clean install.

Kel
Gear

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 22, 2014 00:32 |  #3

To be honest, any time I get a new drive (SSD or HDD) I take it as an opportunity to do a "spring cleaning" and start from scratch.

What I think you are asking do to is possible but honestly I have no experience with the software you are using. If you don't have an external backup of your photos now, I would hold off on doing anything until you have a guarantee against something going wrong...programs and OS can always be reinstalled, but recovering lost photos is a major PITA.

My own (unasked for) experience:

I did a similar move as you a few years ago...I got my storage drives FIRST, copied my photos and other important data over, plus any backups of downloaded software etc. Then I backed up that storage drive just in case I did something stupid.

Then I installed the SSD, booted to the Win7 installer and installed a fresh copy. After booting up, installed all my programs, then hooked my storage drives back in, and voila, just the OS and programs on the SSD, and all the data separate and in duplicate. Has worked fantastically for 3 years, and still going strong.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,657 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 22, 2014 02:33 |  #4

If your system is running fine now there's no particular reason for a clean install. Most SSD manufacturers include cloning/migration software with the drive or for free via their website.

But I find that any computer, over time, gets bogged-down by remnants of past software installs and upgrades. Even my daughter's 4 year-old MacBook Pro, which had been acting up for over a year, ran much better after a clean OS and application install on the same hardware. You can get the basics installed and setup in a day and then work on the lesser utilities and apps as needed.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 22, 2014 05:19 |  #5

For cloning, I use Acronis True Image.

That one software is well worth it. You can use it to backup your system, clone your systems and do complete hard drive wipes.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 05:43 |  #6

RHChan84 wrote in post #16852189 (external link)

That one software is well worth it. You can use it to backup your system, clone your systems and do complete hard drive wipes.

Ditto...that's what I use, it works great!

Reginald D. Walton | GEAR | Smugmugexternal link

patrick023
525 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 22, 2014 10:34 |  #7

RHChan84 wrote in post #16852189 (external link)

If you have a Western Digital harddrive in your computer already, you can download a free copy too. Just Google the Arconis True Image WD edition.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 10:58 |  #8

dandingo wrote in post #16851362 (external link)
I did a bit of research and am currently in the process of using EaseUS to clone Windows 7. My question is, since the program hasn't gotten to this point yet, is will I be able to only choose the operating system and my applications? I ask because I have about 600GB of photos on my current hard drive but don't want to transfer those (and won't be able to because of their size). Also, is this the best way to clone my SSD and also have it as my boot drive? I'm a little green on this stuff.

My plan is to run the OS, apps (LR and PS) as well as the LR cache and catalog on the SSD and I'm picking up a Drobo from a friend later this week for my backup.

How's your current HD partitioned? Is the OS and software in its own partition (C drive) and the rest is in another partition? If so, you should be able to clone C drive only.

If everything is stored in 1 giant C partition, move the 600GB photo somewhere else first then clone the whole HD to SSD. This is a bit risky.

dandingo
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 22, 2014 12:06 |  #9

I actually wouldn't mind doing a fresh install since I have my LR catalog and all my photos backed up. I just can't, for the life of me, find a tutorial on how to do it with the Win 7 recovery discs. Do I have to format the SSD prior? Do I have to have it boot from the BIOS or boot from the discs? Any help would be appreciated!

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 22, 2014 12:24 |  #10

There are a couple of ways, but the basis is that you need to have your machine boot the Windows disc. In BIOS there will be a boot priority setting; change this so that the CD/DVD drive is the primary and it will attempt to read that disc before booting to the SSD (or other HDD).

Alternatively, some computers will have a simple menu system (upon startup) which allows you to select what drive to boot without having to manually change the priority order; this is more of a one-time use thing.

One thing to consider/be sure of... is to make sure that you have all of your software license keys (e.g. MS Office, etc). If you have programs installed but don't have the keys, you can run a program called Magic Jelly Bean. It will provide you with a listing of every key installed on your system and also allow you to save it as a .txt file.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 12:35 |  #11

dandingo wrote in post #16852853 (external link)
Do I have to format the SSD prior? Do I have to have it boot from the BIOS or boot from the discs? Any help would be appreciated!

No you don't. Remove the existing HD. Install your new SSD. Change your boot order to have CD/DVD as the first priority. Restart and follow the prompt.

dandingo
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 22, 2014 17:24 |  #12

I decided to clone my existing HDD because of having Quickbooks on here as well as everything set up. I can't believe how easy it went with Macrium Reflect. I had my Win 7 recovery discs ready to go but once Reflect was finished cloning to my SSD, I restarted and prepared myself for a PITA process but it instantly booted from the SSD!

I seriously couldn't believe it. I've been working on this for almost two days and tried using EaseUS and Acronis and was all ready to do a fresh install. So glad I didn't. My 2.5 year old HP is flying! I just thought I'd update this thread for anyone looking to do the same. Thanks for all the advice and info!

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 22, 2014 22:40 |  #13

Macrium reflect, but a clean install is better.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,636 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best way to clone Windows 7 OS to SSD?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.