Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

... is Flickr worth it?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2014 13:28 |  #31

TeleFragger wrote in post #16853050 (external link)
i use flickr and tell ya what... the majority of the world is just getting too "I dont care" as there are so many accounts for so many things that ask for pieces of information. Add them all together and get someones life out of it all...

Much of it is duplicate information. They all ask the same questions. And a lot of it can be conflicting since we don't always fill out our information accurately. The one that is the most troubling is Facebook where they can build a profile of everything you like, don't like, who you relate to, words you choose, stuff you are passionate about, moral values, what triggers you to act on some things and not others, where you go, what you do, when you do things, etc. Compared to that, no other data mining can hold a candle.

But again, the sheer amounts of data are insane and most of it is harmless. I really don't care who knows that I like Quilted Northern Toilet paper or that I eat at Papa Johns every week.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2014 13:31 |  #32

kfreels wrote in post #16853091 (external link)
Much of it is duplicate information. They all ask the same questions. And a lot of it can be conflicting since we don't always fill out our information accurately. The one that is the most troubling is Facebook where they can build a profile of everything you like, don't like, who you relate to, words you choose, stuff you are passionate about, moral values, what triggers you to act on some things and not others, where you go, what you do, when you do things, etc. Compared to that, no other data mining can hold a candle.

But again, the sheer amounts of data are insane and most of it is harmless. I really don't care who knows that I like Quilted Northern Toilet paper or that I eat at Papa Johns every week.

hah i feel the same way...

so my bro in law is screwed.. he is some mexican (last name hernandez so dont take it the wrong way) who likes guys shirtless dancing to YMCA while liking walmart trash...

i post alcohol, soccer, alcohol, hockey, alcohol, MMA, alcohol, checkin places, alcohol....

could you build anything out of that???? :p

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 14:48 |  #33

Luckless wrote in post #16853048 (external link)
I was as well, but my account got logged out when trying to make the change over to a yahoo account. The account I was already logged into didn't get auto connected to the yahoo account I had just made, but now I can't log in with my google account. I just keep getting an error and asked to log in again.

I remember to have this glitch couple of times. One day, all of sudden it doesn't like my Google login. I did this Yahoo account exercise, it was screwed even more. But on next day it was back to normal login by Google. It happens twice. Just have to wait one day.

Now they have another untested crap, if on mobile.
Google login doesn't work from this garbage, only if you choose "desktop" link.

People who does web programming for Flickr aren't qualified for this job.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2014 15:10 |  #34

TeleFragger wrote in post #16853097 (external link)
hah i feel the same way...

so my bro in law is screwed.. he is some mexican (last name hernandez so dont take it the wrong way) who likes guys shirtless dancing to YMCA while liking walmart trash...

i post alcohol, soccer, alcohol, hockey, alcohol, MMA, alcohol, checkin places, alcohol....

could you build anything out of that???? :p

Heh! Not long ago I saw an article/story, don't recall where, but a gal was on some kind of probation or parole, in the program alcohol drinking was forbidden, but she went on and partied, posted pics on FaceBook and some Law Enforcement person in her locale saw the pics and turned her in!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2014 15:39 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #35

Yeah. These stories are always funny. Like this guy who robbed a bank and got nabbed by the FBI after posting pics of himself on facebook with a machine gun.... duh.
http://www.dailymail.c​o.uk …ng-gun-used-Facebook.html (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 22, 2014 15:40 |  #36

OK so I figured I would find a thread on this. I just tried logging into flickr via my usual google account and I keep getting an error screen and no real explanation. So is this temporary or do I need to setup a yahoo account?

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 15:46 |  #37

Flickr may be in the middle of policy change. Some users may still be able to use their Google or FB account to sign in. When i sign in with my Google account, I get this:

Do you have a Yahoo account?
The Google ID you entered is not associated with a Yahoo account. To enjoy Flickr, you need to create a Yahoo account.

then there are 2 options below it:

Create Account
or login with existing Yahoo account

Create account takes me to Yahoo registration page. So there... flickr would not let me use my Google account alone. There must be a Yahoo account "associated" with it. Not sure what they mean by "associated".

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 22, 2014 15:52 |  #38

as far as I know you need a yahoo account. I've had one for a very long time, it's my main e-mail, so I don't mind. But recently I set up a 2nd flickr account to share photos from school (I'm the 'official' classroom photographer this year) and I didn't want parents to have access to my other photos or even know my other yahoo ID. I had to set everything up again using a different browser (since I didn't want to have to log out of yahoo and in again all the time), a PITA.

I also never use my real name online, only 3 people have my last name in the US, me and my kids. Google me and you find my address, when I got married, and all kinds of other stuff, info I don't want to share with FB or message boards all over the world. Not an issue for John Smith, but for me.

And never forget, there is NO privacy on the net, anything can (and eventually will) be hacked, as we continue to see. You can jump through hoops and get pretty good privacy, too bothersome to me. I see the internet as something like a crowded bar. What I'd not say there, I don't say on the net either, never know who's listening :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

aquaforester
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 22, 2014 15:53 |  #39

All I get is this:

"Sorry, there was an error. Please sign in again with the same account or a different one."

That's really helpful, since non of my google accounts will let me sign in. When you create a yahoo account does it ask you if you have any associated google accounts so the pics will be transfered?

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 16:07 |  #40

Good question, aquaforester. I've always signed in with my Yahoo account so I have no answer for you. One thing for sure is that Yahoo registration does not offer an option to associate other account. It only asks for first, last name, d.o.b, phone number etc.

I found other problem. I signed out of Yahoo and Google. Went back to Flickr page and I'm still signed in to Flickr. I can see all my photostream, edit anything I want. This is a security problem. I would never use public computers to sign in to Flickr.

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
13,212 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 22, 2014 18:21 as a reply to  @ morph2_7's post |  #41

Hi ~ I started this thread. I decided to create a yahoo account after reading the first reply.

1 TB of space = easy hi-res jpeg backups

its wise insurance at the right price (free) when you have it in addition to a physical backup drive.

cheers ~

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

aquaforester
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 22, 2014 18:49 |  #42

So right now I'm locked out. I can't sign in to my flickr account, so I can't gain access to my pics or make any changes.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

dhornick
740 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 22, 2014 19:43 |  #43

You shoulda made this a poll. I vote yes. I love Flickr and like was said earlier, all your personal info is already out there so.......

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Flickr (external link) | https://darrellhornick​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 23, 2014 04:53 |  #44

rdwalton wrote in post #16852214 (external link)
I think it's six months of inactivity. But if you're logging into flickr, then that may count as activity.

I've had flickr accounts that gone years without activity or signing in and they are still good.

koolcreation
649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 23, 2014 13:37 |  #45

Is it the same as with Google? You have to have a Gmail to login into Youtube?

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

sponsored links

7,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
... is Flickr worth it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.