Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2014 (Friday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Light and weddings

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2014 13:34 |  #16

While it's a great lens, 50mm isn't a lot of reach, nor much flexibility. You're gonna have to be right up front with the bridal party to get any facial expressions or other kinds of closeups - then you'll be running around the rest of the time trying to get a variety of shot styles.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
philodelphi
Goldmember
1,171 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 21, 2014 14:44 |  #17

I think the likelihood of flashes being allowed in churches varies significantly from one place to another; I am in the USA on the east coast and I have NEVER encountered a church that did not permit flash. Otoh, I have shot in lots of really big churches where the flash wouldn't do much good anyway. An earlier poster said that the church is not the issue, the reception is... that has been my experience as well. Receptions are DARK!

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 135mm f/2L USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2014 15:03 |  #18

Agreed on the receptions. You can add your light...but then you gotta focus. :p

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 21, 2014 16:42 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #19

A quick call to the wedding coordinator at the church or the officiant will answer these questions for you. Generally, with 90% of the churches I am in, flash is OK for the processional and after the pronouncements of husband and wife. At that point most religious concerns have concluded

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2014 23:27 |  #20

I use a 70-200 then a 24-70 for aisle shots. I'm often at ISO3200 or 6400.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,311 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 22, 2014 00:10 |  #21

You have no business booking a wedding if you are unsure about being able to deliver professional results.

There, I said it.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 22, 2014 10:42 |  #22

I would say that half of the receptions I shoot would eat a natural light shooter for lunch. To offer wedding services without being ready to handle these situations seems to be unwise, to put it mildly. Preferring to shoot natural light is a perfectly valid approach for wedding photography, but it really has to be paired with the knowledge of how to manufacture light when the light on scene is lacking in quantity and / or quality. To re-emphasize: this situation WILL occur.

In the majority of situations I do not use flash during a ceremony, shooting mainly at ISO 1600 and f/2.5 ish. For processionals I'm usually using the 50mm and like to be around 1/200.

However, if the clients, the venue allow the use of light and I feel like it's feasible to introduce (low enough ceilings, a place to put speedlights that isn't too intrusive) and will be required to deliver the results my clients expect of me, I'll use it. I'm probably using flash at 30% of the ceremonies I shoot.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

jbsg02
192 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 22, 2014 12:36 |  #23

Last wedding I did I shot the whole ceremony at 1.2 and without flash i was only at about 500 ISO

jbriggsphoto.com (external link)
5D3, 6D, 70-200 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 85mm 1.2L ii, 135mm f/2L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 580 ex ii

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,171 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2014 14:48 |  #24

jbsg02 wrote in post #16852942 (external link)
Last wedding I did I shot the whole ceremony at 1.2 and without flash i was only at about 500 ISO

Hell, you could have thrown caution to the wind and gone up to 800 ISO!

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 135mm f/2L USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

jcolman
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2014 17:06 |  #25

philodelphi wrote in post #16853294 (external link)
Hell, you could have thrown caution to the wind and gone up to 800 ISO!

hahahahah!!

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 22, 2014 18:59 |  #26

jcolman wrote in post #16853692 (external link)
hahahahah!!

800 iso... buwahahhahahah

I start at 1000 inside with these 5d3's. They are super clean but not so sure i would shoot a processional that shallow.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2014 23:55 |  #27

I always ask the officiant or wedding coordinator for the church what the ground rules are. Most churches have a policy of allowing photographers to shoot flash before the ceremony and during the processional and from the kiss on out. I always shoot with a tripod during the ceremony with a telephoto from the back of the church or where ever I'm allowed to shoot. My suggestions for supplemental lighting was primarily intended for the processional and formals (before or after the ceremony). With that said, I shot most of my weddings over the last 30 years with film and only a handful with digital before I retired. So take my advice for what it's worth. I don't like noise so I always opt for supplemental lighting. Good luck!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

lmparker
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 23, 2014 05:28 |  #28

I posted earlier that I know the rules of the Church. Flash is allowed down the isle and back but not during the ceremony itself. The reception area is actually a well lit area with large windows, so thankful about that! I agree with what you guys are saying, i'm not ready and I have no business.... I have four months to prepare for this, I was a second shooter on a previous wedding and the bride and groom saw my work from that and came to me to ask me to do this for them. They can't afford very much and i'm the only photographer they can afford. I just came on here asking for advice from ya'll, you guys/girls have some awesome experience with photography and I just want to be the best photographer I can be for this. So I agree.. I really had no business saying I would do it :(

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/59975​4803419949 (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2014 06:14 |  #29

If you are taking money for the job the first things you are going to need is a contract and any relevant insurances. And get some backup kit.

Peter

lmparker
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 23, 2014 06:17 |  #30

Actually, what we decided on is that they would only buy the pictures they like and the rest they wont buy. So would I still need all of that Memories of tomorrow?? I'm not getting a flat fee. I'm just taking pictures and hoping they buy them otherwise I don't get anything. They want me there about 8 hours.

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/59975​4803419949 (external link)

sponsored links

8,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Natural Light and weddings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.