Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

fastest multi-core, batch-resizing software?

the.forumer
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 22, 2014 18:45 |  #1

I'm currently using FastStone Resizer to shrink the images (for viewing on tablets, as storage is limited and not expandable). while it is not bad, it is still not as fast as i need it to be - because it only uses a single core (in my overclocked 4.7ghz i5 2500k).

While I have also separately tested LR5.3 (selecting different batches to be processed at the same time, so that i can maximize all 4 cores), it doesn't seem to be significantly faster than the former.

any suggestions on other cutting edge software i could consider?

Thanks in advance for your help !

sponsored links
FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 22, 2014 20:25 |  #2

We use Photomatix Pro. I don't know if they have a PC version or not.

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2014 00:33 |  #3

If you have Photoshop, you could try Image Processor.

Moppie
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 23, 2014 01:24 |  #4

Doesn't matter how fast your processor is if it can't read and save the data to the hard drive.

Are you running a single spinning disc?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,996 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 23, 2014 01:35 |  #5

I'm sorry but when it comes to image resizing I would be looking for quality over speed as my main benchmark. As long as you can set a batch job going just run it while you are doing something else (if its that big a batch). It's the sort of thing I would have the computer do while I was sleeping. I see the issue being the need to do lots of read/writes to disc as your real limitation on speed. Even if each core can access RAM independently your stuck with disk access.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2014 01:45 |  #6

Are you processing jpegs, or converting from Raw and then resizing the resulting jpeg?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 23, 2014 04:25 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #16854679 (external link)
Are you processing jpegs, or converting from Raw and then resizing the resulting jpeg?

What happens is this:

1. RAW files processed in LR, converted to Max quality JPEGs for archival
2. Max quality JPEGs downsized and reduced quality to maximize space/optimize viewing on tablets

I'm looking at Workflow #2. I've accumulated over 100,000 photos these years and have backed them up to the cloud. one alternative I'm using now is browse these photos on the cloud from my tablet.. but even with a fast connection, there's a slight pause for every photo i browse through.

this leads me to want to create small (2000px on long side) and manageable files to be stored locally on the tablet. quality wouldn't be so much of a concern here. for example, there wouldn't be a significant visual difference between a 6Mb and 500kb JPEG (2000px) even when viewed on a good screen like the ipad air.

i'd see the software as the bottleneck here. i tried using a ssd (840 Pro) as the source drive, and with a decent processor + 16gb ram, there's no way a resizing task could max out the rig.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2014 15:20 |  #8

Hmm, first, when you say you are converting the Raw to max size/quality jpegs for "archival", well, that's not what I do. My "archive" is the Lightroom Library/folders with my Raw files. I move these to an external library drive. And, they are backed up to an external backup drive.

Then, I Export images that I want to share or use externally, like you said, smaller jpegs for viewing, I actually keep those jpegs on the external library drive for either future reference or archiving or whatever.

I'm confused as to what you consider your "bottleneck" to be. You mention a bit of a slowdown with your tablet, and if you are trying to view those full-size/quality jpegs, sure, but with my workflow all I'd worry about is the resized jpegs I Export for sharing/viewing.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 23, 2014 17:57 |  #9

tonylong wrote in post #16856072 (external link)
Hmm, first, when you say you are converting the Raw to max size/quality jpegs for "archival", well, that's not what I do. My "archive" is the Lightroom Library/folders with my Raw files. I move these to an external library drive. And, they are backed up to an external backup drive.

yes, i've never found the need to revisit my RAW files, so the max quality JPEGs become my main source of archival. it is only for commercial assignments that i keep RAWs.

Then, I Export images that I want to share or use externally, like you said, smaller jpegs for viewing, I actually keep those jpegs on the external library drive for either future reference or archiving or whatever.

I'm confused as to what you consider your "bottleneck" to be. You mention a bit of a slowdown with your tablet, and if you are trying to view those full-size/quality jpegs, sure, but with my workflow all I'd worry about is the resized jpegs I Export for sharing/viewing.

there were 2 options which i mentioned previously:

1. view my max quality jpegs on the cloud (from tablet)
the bottleneck would then be on the tablet cum network connection.

2. view resized jpegs locally from tablet
the bottleneck would be only on the conversion process.

hope it's clearer this way.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2014 18:52 |  #10

Well, it's up to you...to me you are adding to your workflow (creating full-size "archive" jpegs)...now you want to resize them, well, go ahead, I just don't bother with that "archive" step, but my Exports can be freely viewed in whatever media I wish!

Tony

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2014 15:29 |  #11

XNView MP and XNConvert. Free. Does a whole lot more too. The "MP" designation is for "Multi Processor" (as opposed to XNView). It is what Bridge wishes it could be.

http://www.xnview.com/​en/xnviewmp/ (external link)

kirk

Screenshot of the "resize" action dialog, with Resample algorithm menu popped open - more than Bicubic.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 30, 2014 20:22 |  #12

kirkt wrote in post #16858762 (external link)
XNView MP and XNConvert. Free. Does a whole lot more too. The "MP" designation is for "Multi Processor" (as opposed to XNView). It is what Bridge wishes it could be.

http://www.xnview.com/​en/xnviewmp/ (external link)

kirk

Screenshot of the "resize" action dialog, with Resample algorithm menu popped open - more than Bicubic.

this is exactly what i needed! i tested your suggestion vs Faststone and it was almost 4x faster (1min vs 4mins converting 192JPEGs).

the only feature lacking is that i wished it could resize based on max. file size (e.g. restrict to 500kb per file).

thanks anyway!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 30, 2014 21:35 |  #13

Change the resize mode to "MPixels".

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 30, 2014 21:48 |  #14

Also, don't forget the Tools > Batch rename ...

kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 30, 2014 21:50 |  #15

If you do not need the Bridge-like GUI, just the batch conversion, try the more compact XnConvert:

http://www.xnview.com/​en/xnconvert/ (external link)

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

5,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
fastest multi-core, batch-resizing software?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.