Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading my 500D (Rebel T1i)

Orias
109 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 21, 2014 17:00 |  #1

Howdy folks,

I know this is "another upgrade advice" question, but it's always good to get opinions on these things!

I've had my Canon EOS 500D for about 4 years now. It's what really got me into photography in a more serious way, and I've loved every minute of it. But a lot has changed in the past years since the model was introduced and the technology seems to be moving on fairly fast. I am considering upgrading in the near future (it's bonus time soon at work) and I am looking for advice as to the next step. I am certainly not a pro (I don't have time with work), but I always strive to get as close to pro-level photos as possible. I am not looking for a 5D MKIII or anything like that (unless it's very cheap), but the 6D, 7D, 60D, 70D are the kind of things that seem like reasonable upgrades.

I definitely want to stick with Canon as I am used to the functions, terminology .. and I just like them. But more importantly my lenses are all Canon or Canon fitments. I have:

Canon 17-55mm EF-S Kit Lens
Sigma 70-300mm F4.6 DG Macro
Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro

If I understand it correctly, the EF-S kit lens won't work on the 6D, but I think the EF 100mm is the one I want to make sure I can still use (it's the expensive one).

I primarily enjoy wildlife and macro work, but often find myself in the reptile area in the zoo where light levels are an issue, and high ISO's are necessary. Anything that can help me focus better in these low-light situations is also a bonus!

Any suggestions from others who have made similar upgrades would be very welcome!
Thanks, Ori

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2014 17:19 |  #2

Orias wrote in post #16851126 (external link)
I primarily enjoy wildlife and macro work, but often find myself in the reptile area in the zoo where light levels are an issue, and high ISO's are necessary. Anything that can help me focus better in these low-light situations is also a bonus!
i

A FF body will buy you about a stop. Would a macro flash help or would it cause too much reflection on the glass?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 21, 2014 17:21 |  #3

EF lens will work with all Canon cameras, the EF-s Lens are for the crops only. The Sigma will work on both as well.

I started with the T1i, fell in love with DSLR and photography and upgraded to the 5D II. I recently sold the 5D II and got the 6D. I love the 6d, fantastic pictures and easy to use. You will love it as well.

The 6D has superb ISO performance and will work great for those light situations, with either the kit lens, which is f/4 and does pretty good, but with a cheap 50mm f/1.8, you would be good to go.

I use the 6d for wildlife and birding as well. Many will state that the 6d is not capable of sports and birding, which is nonsense. People have been birding with full frame cameras way before these fancy DSLR cameras were invented. You do not get as much reach with a full frame camera, but you get superior images. I can zoom in, crop and have a very good photo.

Coming from the T1i to the 6D will be a huge jump is so many things, you will surely love it as well.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 21, 2014 17:22 |  #4

tkbslc wrote in post #16851160 (external link)
A FF body will buy you about a stop. Would a macro flash help or would it cause too much reflection on the glass?

Pretty sure flashes are prohibited in a reptile house.... :cry:

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 21, 2014 18:22 |  #5

michgirl wrote in post #16851164 (external link)
Pretty sure flashes are prohibited in a reptile house.... :cry:

They certainly are. And even if they weren't, I don't really want to bother the little critters with flashes etc in their faces ;). The best I can really do is a tripod, relatively long exposures (1/20 or so) and hopefully a still subject. But any help I can get from the camera itself to limit the exposure time whilst maximizing the image quality is a bonus for sure.

The 6D is certainly the one that appeals to me the most right now. I often get confused with the way Canon label their models. I naturally assume the 7D must be better than the 6D, and definitely better than the 5D .. but clearly it's the opposite, grrr!

Thanks very much for the advice though, it's great to get feedback from someone who's been through the exact same upgrade process!! :D

Cheers, Ori

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,163 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 23, 2014 03:34 |  #6

Heya,

I think the 70D would do what you want the most. You get significant ISO quality increases, and remain on APS-C. Why? You want wildlife and macro, so crops are great for that, because of the perceived reach you gain. Add in the 70D's better ISO performance and range, and you get an all around upgrade, and keep your reach with it. Works with all your lenses.

Otherwise, the 6D is beast in low light. You lose out on a lot of reach though, and cannot use your EF-S lenses. The loss in reach can be a big deal. You maximize low light performance, but you also have to spend more on longer physical lenses to maintain the same angles of view from a distance. 300mm suddenly is not so long, when you see it on a full frame when looking at wildlife (there's never enough reach!).

So I would look at it like that. They are both excellent cameras. One maximizes image quality and ISO performance. One gives you improved ISO performance, better image quality, and maintains APS-C reach on your current lenses.

Ultimately I think the 70D would be best for what you're doing.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 23, 2014 04:00 |  #7

If you get the 6d you lose use of two of your lenses. It sounds like you would rather keep use of all those lenses, and definitely keep use of the 100mm. The latter will work on all bodies. You also state you like wildlife. Get a crop body and all your wishes come true. There are people on this forum that advise to get the equipment that they have. The 6d is not the best choice for photography. A 7d, 70d or 60d is what would most probably best suit you. I would go with the 7d or 60d. I know I'll get flamed for this, but some 70d's have a serious focus problem that canon seems to not have rectified yet. If you get a 70d do a test with a 2.8 lens or lower as pointed out in the thread explaining the 70d potential problem. That being said, crop is where you probably want to be given you shoot wildlife.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 23, 2014 04:01 |  #8

Also, 6d bodies, from everything I've read, have poor outer autofocus points.

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 23, 2014 04:47 |  #9

Thanks very much for the additional advice, certainly makes a lot of sense. I think the only lens I would actually not be able to use on the 6D would be the 18-55 EF-S kit lens that came with my 500D. I think the Sigma 70-300mm is EF and will work on anything. But yes, the 100mm is the most important one to me which is definitely EF.

Focus is certainly very important to me. It's the one thing I seem to struggle most with on the 500D .. hitting that "tack-sharp" focus point. More than likely down to me being terrible, but if the camera can help me in any way (extra focus points, better focus etc) then it all helps. A lot of the "wildlife" that I am currently shooting is in zoo's (unfortunately) as it's currently my best option whilst working out in Madrid, so "distance" isn't a massive issue as I am usually relatively close. But whenever I am back in the UK then I try to get out "in the field" as it's a lot more accessible and familiar to me.

All the suggestions are definitely an upgrade on the 500D. The 7D having the bonus of being an additional lens-worth of money cheaper than the 6D :). I just want to make sure that if I am going to get an upgrade, then it's going to be one that's going to last me another 3-4 years.

Thanks very much again, appreciate all the advice.
Cheers, James

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 23, 2014 08:04 as a reply to  @ Orias's post |  #10

First off I have to say I am not a pro, but I do strive for this type of shooting as well.

Most of my low light type shooting is inside the house, and I've found that the 6d handles it the best, this camera is geared to low light shooting. But high action type wild life the keeper rate will not be as good as lets say the 70d is since it is geared more for wild life. So if in the near future you see this type shooting coming, I would look at that as well.

There is one thing I've learned through the years, and it's editing skills as well as better lenses also play a huge part in what comes out of the camera. I guess what I'm trying to convey to you is know where to put your money in your investment for what you need your camera to do for you. And the truth is, it's not always in a newer better camera.

My prior camera was the Canon XTi, loved it with some nice glass. Since then I've bumped up too the 60d and 6d. Love both for what they were designed to do.

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 23, 2014 10:07 |  #11

The 70D is certainly another option. Most of the wildlife that I find isn't so much "high action" in terms of running around, flying etc though. Some is .. but for the most part I like to hang around and wait for a still moment to take a shot. This is why something with better image quality and low-light performance might have an edge over an action-oriented body, as I am sure all cameras can handle action shots when needed, just with differing degrees of quality.

I think the biggest downside for me is the lower focus points on the 6D compared to the 7D and 70D. Still, it will be a month or so before I have to finally decide, so I guess I can keep researching.

Thanks again!!

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 23, 2014 12:48 |  #12

One thing to keep in mind, the 7d was released 5 years ago and more advanced technology has replaced it. Doesn't make the 7d a lesser camera, for sure, it just might not have some of the later features and capabilities of a newer camera. I purchased my 5d II in 2012, when it was 4 years old (I think). It didn't have some of the capabilities of the newer models that I wished for (IE: ability to trigger off camera flash, higher ISO capabilities, ability to set maximum ISO with auto) yet I found no fault with IQ, color, contrast, etc - things equally as important.

There is no clear answer and it always comes down to which feature is most important to you?

Robin

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 23, 2014 13:41 as a reply to  @ michgirl's post |  #13

Also a very good point. I think I am looking at either the 6D or the 70D at this stage. They are the newer models so, as you said, should be a little more future-proof.

The 70D doesn't have the low-light performance of the 6D, but it doesn't seem bad .. certainly better than the 500D at any rate. Both seem relatively similar with most of the other stats (megapixels, weight etc). Just the 70D has more focus points, and the 6D is full-frame.

I guess I'll work my way through some of the reviews and make my mind up. Also there's the cost. For the cost of the 6D body alone I could get the 70D with a decent lens ;)

Thanks again,
Cheers, J

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 23, 2014 13:44 as a reply to  @ Orias's post |  #14

Hi,

I too started with a T1i and I upgraded to the 70D. I mainly chose it for the AF. I thought about the 6D, and going FF, but in the end I could not get past the 11 AF points, with only 1 center-point cross type. I struggled with that on my T1i (the focus, recompose method was getting old, it got me into more trouble than I can count), and I myself could not go there. FWIW, I have no problems with my 70D.
I will tell you, choose what is most important to you, as it is a personal choice. You have to be comfortable using it, if you're not, it's not the camera for you! My suggestion, if at all possible (head to a local camera store) and hold and play around with the cameras you are considering.
I wish you luck in your decision-making process. They are all great cameras, you can't go wrong with either one.

Lynn
Canon 70D | 10-22 USM | 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | 55-250 IS | 100 f2.8L macro | 430ex III-RT flash | and all my husbands gear!

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2011

May 27, 2014 11:01 as a reply to  @ MissFire's post |  #15

I'm going to have to re-open this thread as I am still totally undecided. Every time I think I have found the feature that tips me in one direction, I find something else that tips me the other way. I've read and watched countless reviews and videos. The money for the upgrade to the 70D or 6D is almost in the bank, so I am looking for anything that will help me finally choose!

I have tried to weigh up the pro's and con's as much as possible, so for me (upgrading from the 500D/Rebel T1) it looks like:

6D
Much better image quality
Great low light performance
Full Frame

70D
Better image quality
More focus points
Rotating Touch-Screen
More lens choice
Cheaper

I think the biggest sticking point for me is the fact that the 6D has very good image quality, but only 11 focus points (and only one cross-type). Whereas the 70D doesn't have as high image quality, but has 19 focus points. Either way, they will both offer better quality than the 500D/T1. I also want to choose the one that will offer me the most "future-proofing" too. Things like GPS and Movie quality aren't really much of a concern for me either.

As mentioned before, the 6D would mean that I won't be able to use my 17-55mm kit lens from the 500D anymore, but I would still be able to use my Sigma 70-300 and Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. I also had my eyes on the Canon 55-250 IS which seems very nice for the price, but that's also not going to work on the 6D.

Does anyone have anything else they can offer up to help me decide. I shoot a whole variety of different subjects, so it's hard to pick based entirely on what I like to shoot. I guess I lean more towards macro and animals (mostly zoo) though.

You can see some examples of my pictures HERE (external link), maybe someone out there can see some trends which will suit either the 6D or the 70D more for my style!

Thanks very much!
Cheers!

sponsored links

6,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading my 500D (Rebel T1i)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.