Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did a salesperson give me good information?

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 22, 2014 20:19 |  #16

On the 6D I find the D-Pad a snap as I used it on my T4i, and I am already on the center point focus by default.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,025 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2014 21:21 |  #17

Forget what he said about AF. Ultimately, I believe the 6D is more future proof. Both will deliver excellent images. However, the 6D yields better high iso images and less banding. At this point considering the price, there is no way I would consider a 5dii.

Jason

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 22, 2014 22:18 |  #18

Numenorean wrote in post #16853751 (external link)
No...you can't. The shutter and aperture dials change shutter and aperture by default. Not AF point. So a dedicated AF controller is much faster than having to press a button then turn dials and having an AF controller which works quickly and easily is critical when you're shooting professionally.

I don't get the blind support people have for the joystick. I had one on my 20D, don't miss it at all with the 6D. With more AF points like the 5Diii I could see it being handy, on a camera with 20 or less points I think the multi-controller works perfectly, even when using my battery grip. I must have larger hands than the average photographer or something...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2014 22:57 |  #19

Better sealing, more intuitive, and easier when zooming around on a pic. Dials are okay, but after a decade of shooting with all the cameras I have, I will always take a joystick over a dial/directional pass. As a gamer it is also second nature, directional pads are always relegated to secondary actions. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 22, 2014 23:08 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16854483 (external link)
Better sealing, more intuitive, and easier when zooming around on a pic. Dials are okay, but after a decade of shooting with all the cameras I have, I will always take a joystick over a dial/directional pass. As a gamer it is also second nature, directional pads are always relegated to secondary actions. :)

^ My Xbox controller (joystick) works just fine, but you will have to pry my Super Nintendo Controller (D-pad)
from my cold dead hands. :D

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2014 23:10 |  #21

Bah I see your Nintendo controller and raise you the intellivision controller. :D

(One of the worse systems, unresponsive half the time controller to game, had to reset a bunch, etc, I really didn't like mine)

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2014 01:45 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16854406 (external link)
I don't get the blind support people have for the joystick. ...

It is akin to the Compact Flash is better than SD mentality. Humans are, for the most part, hugely averse to change, even for the better.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 23, 2014 01:58 |  #23

I think the 6d May be a slightly better choice simply because it's newer. The different lay out might take a bit of getting used to. However a 5d2 was one of the best cameras around a few years ago. It still is. For your type of shot either choice can be taken with confidence

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 23, 2014 02:30 |  #24

Maggie_B wrote in post #16853614 (external link)
Thank you all so much for responding :)
I don't shoot sports or wildlife so that's not a problem. I mainly do portrait and macro /still life, and landscapes.
I'm tempted by the 6d too! Oh the struggles.
Thanks again for the reassurances on the focusing :)
Mag

I have a 5D2 and if was given the choice now would go with the 6D.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

Maggie_B
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 23, 2014 08:17 as a reply to  @ Maverique's post |  #25

I have decided that I think the 6D might be the better choice for me. I have always struggled with shaky hands so the more I can push up my shutter spead with higher ISO's the more keepers I will hopefully get.

Thank you all for contributing ! ! ! :)

Mag

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 23, 2014 09:50 |  #26

FWIW, on the joystick/D-pad issue, the 70D's D-pad can be set to full-time autofocus point movement, so it's just like the joystick but you put your thumb a little lower. No extra button press necessary; if the camera is awake, you can move the autofocus point any time. I'm unsure if it's the same on the 6D though, but I'd imagine they would have similar available settings.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 23, 2014 09:54 |  #27

^ Yeah you can do the exact same thing with the 6D that is how mine is configured. I have used both methods the D-pad on my 6D and the joystick on my old 7D and the few 5D series cameras I have used. It makes absolutely no difference which method your camera offers, they are both extremely simple.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

auto-clicker
773 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 23, 2014 10:25 |  #28

Buy the best and latest at the moment that you can afford.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 23, 2014 10:39 |  #29

Maggie_B wrote in post #16853181 (external link)
I dropped into my local camera shop today because I was hoping to upgrade my body from my 5D Classic. I just can't justify the cost of a 5D Mark iii so I was debating a new 6D or a used 5D Mark ii.
The gentleman in the store claimed that the 5D Mark ii had terrible focusing issues that they tried to fix with firmware updates but it was still very undependable and he wouldn't recommend it.
I kind of want to stick with the 5D series as that is what I am used to and I have all CF cards.
I guess I would just like to hear from other 5D Mark ii users whether they were disappointed with the focusing.
Thanks,
Maggie

Just get the 6D, I used to have the 5dII, wasn't really great as the 6d,
6D has
better screen
lighter
way better high ISO quality, about two stops better!
a SD card is $20
it has a almost silent shutter sound
better for resale
GPS and WIFI
and more!!!!

Don't go back, go forward!!!!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 23, 2014 12:11 as a reply to  @ sega62's post |  #30

This is how I rank the 5D2, 5D3 and 6D (as well as a few other camera bodies) from my experience and interactions with them. If cameras touch, they are basically identical, otherwise gaps don't designate "how much better" or "worse". Others may swap a few items here and there. Just a "scorecard" I am trying to come up with that quickly identifies my opinions on some lines, quantitatively backed rankings on others (like battery life or MTBF).

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sponsored links

5,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did a salesperson give me good information?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.