Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying to get back into photography.. keep or sell 30D?

restinginlove
75 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 23, 2014 01:32 |  #16

moss-one wrote in post #16854611 (external link)
The Xti is an interesting case, since the 400plus firmware hack gives it unbelievably more power. I hung on to my Xti for another 2-3 years just because of that.
The 30D is a great camera - no firmware hacks, however to give it a boost.
It depends on the type of photography you want to do. While I skipped over the 30D myself I did have the 20D which is extremely similar. I found I was missing shots of sports due to relatively low burst speed, and low light performance was poor beyond ISO 400 (sometimes pushed to 800).
I upgraded to a 60D last year, much better burst speed, but more importantly for me I can comfortably shoot at ISOs above 2000 with no issues.
I'd agree with GeoffSobering above - keep that 30 for a while and see what you need to get the shots you want.

All I've really figured out with 400plus is the shutter count (which is under 9k. For owning it 6 years, that's not much, I gotta step it up!). I need to immerse myself in the user guide one of these days. I do wish I had better high iso performance but I can live. I do need to get noise ninja or something similar in the meantime, though.

I do feel self conscious trying to shove it in my purse and bring it out while doing normal day to day stuff. And it's too big to put in my backpack and bring to campus with me. So instead of buying a new body, I bought a used fuji x100 off amazon yesterday. It should have better high iso capabilities than the xti and honestly I mainly shoot indoors for casual social stuff and I feel like the x100 won't stand out so much in those cases. Plus I can use it as a nice point and shoot when I don't have the room for my xti. I think it'll be more useful for me than a new dslr body for a while, since in the last three years or so I've taken my xti out with me maaaaybe three times? So I think it'll be a nice compliment to the xti and an upgrade stepping stone.

website (external link) & flickr (external link).
Canon 5dc - t5i - XTi - 40mm f/2.8 - 85 f/1.8 - sigma 35 f/1.4 ART - sigma 50 f/1.4 (not the ART!) - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
Feedback

sponsored links
hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 23, 2014 08:56 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16854490 (external link)
Stay with the 30d, very nice and sharp images, upgrade your old kit lens to the newer stm model though.

+1 to most of the above; no reason to upgrade for upgrade's sake. Get back out there and see what sort of images you get with what you've got. If you find it lacking in one area or another, at least you'll know what you need to focus on when considering an upgrade.

Also +1 to TS on the 18-55 STM. It can be had for dirt cheap on Ebay ($110!) (external link), and takes impressively sharp photos for the price. It even serves as a make-shift macro lens with a very short MFD. Check out these flower shots I took recently (and here). Its focus motor is also totally silent.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Mike ­ -
31 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 23, 2014 09:45 |  #18

Why would you think, just because that there are later versions available, that an earlier version of a given camera is no longer usefull ?

If the 30D is in good condition, it should produce fine pictures as long as your settings are up to it.
I still have my D30 all the way to my last purchase, the 50D. They all still work fine, and produce great results, despite the differences. You just have to work around these differences.
Yes, the 30D is a bit slower, the high ISO shots aren't quite as clean as the later cameras, but, there are ways to 'work around' many of the shortcommings.

Take your 30 and start shooting away.
If you can, rent a later camera. After spending time with the 30, see if a newer camera is really worth the money...! Good lenses mean more than many newer cameras.

Mike

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,606 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 23, 2014 09:52 |  #19

If you must buy something then buy glass.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 23, 2014 10:51 |  #20

Yep a better glass. My 20D was more than capable with good lighting and good lens :)

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 23, 2014 13:39 |  #21

Thank you all for your advice and insight! I appreciate it! I'll stick with the 30D for now, probably for the rest of the year or so, depending on how quickly I can get back up to speed with where I once was.

:D

My first legit camera is a Canon AE-1 Program, given to me as a birthday present from my best friend. And so my obsession begins...
Canon EOS-6D: 24-105mmL, 16-35mmL, 50mmL

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 23, 2014 13:51 as a reply to  @ noopi's post |  #22

Keep it! My father shoot birds with a 7D and 20D. I can't tell which image is shot with which body - because it's the same 100-400 taking the shots.

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Apr 23, 2014 14:00 |  #23

What's your budget?

Fujifilm X100F

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 23, 2014 14:51 |  #24

st3mpy wrote in post #16855871 (external link)
Keep it! My father shoot birds with a 7D and 20D. I can't tell which image is shot with which body - because it's the same 100-400 taking the shots.

Not to mention the same skill set.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2014 14:58 |  #25

noopi wrote in post #16855823 (external link)
Thank you all for your advice and insight! I appreciate it! I'll stick with the 30D for now, probably for the rest of the year or so, depending on how quickly I can get back up to speed with where I once was.

:D

Come back and post photos!:D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

N2bnfunn
747 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 24, 2014 00:15 |  #26

Sell like in yesterday

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2014 10:25 |  #27

So I pulled my camera out of the closet, and I put the battery in the charger and waited ~1 hour or so before putting it back in the body, but alas, it seems my battery is dead.

I ordered this battery (external link) as a replacement.. Does anyone have experience using these? I mean, the reviews looked pretty promising, and it was only $15, so what the heck, right?

My first legit camera is a Canon AE-1 Program, given to me as a birthday present from my best friend. And so my obsession begins...
Canon EOS-6D: 24-105mmL, 16-35mmL, 50mmL

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,683 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 24, 2014 10:48 |  #28

noopi wrote in post #16857997 (external link)
So I pulled my camera out of the closet, and I put the battery in the charger and waited ~1 hour or so before putting it back in the body, but alas, it seems my battery is dead.

I ordered this battery (external link) as a replacement.. Does anyone have experience using these? I mean, the reviews looked pretty promising, and it was only $15, so what the heck, right?

BP-511 aftermarket batteries are aplenty, and there is nothing special about them, unlike newer batteries with the id chips, etc. Sterlingtek, and many others should be good, so yes the one you linked to should be perfectly fine. :)

Your local Radio Shacks might still carry these too, as might Best Buy.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

auto-clicker
813 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 24, 2014 10:52 |  #29

noopi wrote in post #16853616 (external link)
Hi POTN! I am in a bit of a slump in my life and I wanted to get back into photography. I took 3.5 years off after my best friend (who gave me my first camera and introduced me to POTN) passed away unexpectedly. So, getting back into it is still a sensitive thing for me.
Anywho, I have a Canon 30D that I bought used off of POTN. I have the Canon f/2.8 macro lens (non-L version), the standard 18-55 kit lens, and one more that I can't recall off the top of my head. I also have some kenko tubes and a 580EX2 external flash.
My question is, is a 30D still decent? Or should I try to sell it and upgrade to something newer? I initially focused on macro photography, but I think I want to try to do some simple portraits or something.
I'm not super-rich or anything, but I do have some money sitting around.
So, do you think I should stick with a 30D or try to upgrade to something else? In terms of quality, are the popular T*i Rebel's superior to a 30D (probably a silly question, but I've been somewhat avoiding photography for above reasons, so I don't have much knowledge of what's new).

Any advice would be appreciated!

This is just your hobby, so just go out and shoot...it's not so much the gear for you but the process...just go out and shoot.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 24, 2014 10:52 |  #30

it's a SterlingTEK. These and the Wasabis have the best reputation among third party battery providers.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links

4,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying to get back into photography.. keep or sell 30D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.