Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Passes for photos??

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 23, 2014 15:49 |  #16

I don't make a living doing live bands, in fact I only started doing it a few years ago because I knew people in bands who asked me along ( I got back into photography to do street and as a hobby ). So apart from people I know who are in the bands I had to find other ways to shoot live shows. Pretty much the same as the OP. Then I got asked to shoot and write for some online blogs/sites and now I have a lot of contacts with venues/promoters/bands etc.

While this initially means shooting for free, it can then lead to paid work if people like your stuff, and how do you know if you are any good, or even get good unless you get to shoot shows in the first place?

I've almost reached the stage where I might go part time in my day job and start using my contacts and experience to start doing paid work ( for instance some bands I've shot live are interested in paying me for promo shots/ CD cover shots etc now ) That wouldn't have been the case without me doing the "free"stuff to start with. A friend who has started a media/video company is also looking to give me some work, and I'm starting to see some interest in paid writing work too.

My approach might not be the right way to do it, but so far it seems to be working out for me.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sponsored links
Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 10, 2014 08:36 |  #17

This is an old thread, but I'm new here, so I'll opine.

First, I started getting more favorable results when I stopped referring to it as a photo "pass" and started referring to it as a photo "credential". Don't ask me why, because I've no idea. Maybe "credential" sounds more important, and tour managers like people to know they do important things.

I've made a fair amount of money doing concert photography. It's not a revenue stream to rely on if you've got a mortgage to pay, but it can generate a few bucks here and there.

I recently moved to St. Augustine, and I contacted the Marketing Manager for a local concert venue. She was easy to get in touch with, but she didn't seek me out. I had to find her. I shot Daughtry at this venue last month (I'm friends with the band and the tour manager permits me to shoot their entire show) and showed her what I came away with.

She looked at my work and said "So, you'll be shooting for us, yes?"

It's one of those "Catch 22" scenarios, though. You stand a much better chance of landing a good gig if you've got experience in the pit, but you can't get that experience without getting into the pit in the first place.

It can be a tough deal, but it's a lot of fun!

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Echo63
Goldmember
2,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2014 07:52 |  #18

the flying moose wrote in post #16722970 (external link)
I want to start shooting concerts and shows but I do not want to be the guy that gives photos away for free. Would it be wrong of me to take a deal where a small local magazine run by one guy does all the work to get me access and in return I send him a few photos for use in the magazine?? Without the magazine I'd have no pass so the way I look at it, I am trading something for photos and not just giving my work away.

Make sure you are making enough money to insure your gear.
A friend of mine recently learnt this lesson the hard way.

He was shooting for a "street press" publication for free, had his 24-70 knocked off the stage by a performer.
The publication wouldnt help him out with covering his excess, so it was a $500 night for him.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 18, 2014 15:53 |  #19

Echo63 wrote in post #17103031 (external link)
Make sure you are making enough money to insure your gear.
A friend of mine recently learnt this lesson the hard way.

He was shooting for a "street press" publication for free, had his 24-70 knocked off the stage by a performer.
The publication wouldnt help him out with covering his excess, so it was a $500 night for him.

Thanks. That's something people forget about. I do have insurance on all my gear hooked up to a policy on my home insurance. Everything is covered no matter if its my fault or my gear gets stolen from my car.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2014 23:29 |  #20

the flying moose wrote in post #17103911 (external link)
Thanks. That's something people forget about. I do have insurance on all my gear hooked up to a policy on my home insurance. Everything is covered no matter if its my fault or my gear gets stolen from my car.

But how much of an excess do you have to pay if the gear gets broken ?
Wouldnt it be nice to know that the excess is at least partially covered by the money earned from the job ?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 19, 2014 00:36 |  #21

Echo63 wrote in post #17104632 (external link)
But how much of an excess do you have to pay if the gear gets broken ?
Wouldnt it be nice to know that the excess is at least partially covered by the money earned from the job ?

Echo,

You do realize, don't you, that as soon as you make any money at all from photography, none of your photo gear will be covered thru a homeowner's policy, or riders on that policy.

Once any income is earned via photography, one must insure gear thru a business policy. Obtaining such a policy normally requires that the business be registered and licensed with your state. I do not think that the OP is in a position to start a registered, licensed business for his photography endeavors.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2014 11:38 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17104694 (external link)
Echo,

You do realize, don't you, that as soon as you make any money at all from photography, none of your photo gear will be covered thru a homeowner's policy, or riders on that policy.

Once any income is earned via photography, one must insure gear thru a business policy. Obtaining such a policy normally requires that the business be registered and licensed with your state. I do not think that the OP is in a position to start a registered, licensed business for his photography endeavors.

Exactly. The policy I have now is what works best for me. If my scenario changes in the futures then I have already discussed a business policy with my broker and will have the same things set up only with liability insurance as well.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2014 12:23 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17104694 (external link)
Echo,

It's a little different here in Oz.
But you have a valid point (do the research where you live)

and for what it's worth, my personal gear is covered under a separate policy, as a work related tool, but it's not business insurance

MichaelLynn
253 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 15, 2014 23:01 |  #24

narlus wrote in post #16723755 (external link)
finding paying jobs shooting concerts for websites or small magazines is like finding Sasquatch.

or a Unicorn

Michael Lynn JR.
www.mljlive.com (external link)

ajs0371
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 02, 2014 09:05 |  #25

I did some concert photography for a couple years a few years back. I was able to get my foot in the door by working with the venue. I maintained legal rights to all photos, but allowed them to use them on their website and social media for marketing and promotion. In return, I got into the shows for free, and was given extra tickets if I wanted them for someone else. I managed to spin off some side jobs as well from that. Without working directly with the venue, I doubt I'd have ever gotten my foot in the door.

zackmassey
53 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 05, 2014 10:43 |  #26

I work in the music industry and have been shooting live shows for years, one piece of insight I would give is to reach out to your local radio station to see if they need someone to shoot for them. Typically they don't have the staff to cover shows, and the people that do - aren't really that good. You can probably work out some sort of deal with them where you get stuff and access, but may not get money.

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 22, 2015 22:12 as a reply to  @ zackmassey's post |  #27

My way in was through using shutterstock's red card program. Have a couple photo's now and since then I've just started doing the homework myself and try to ask the media relations person how to get a standard 3 song credential. Seems hit and miss but I've gotten into some good shows that way. Still not much money in it with microstock, but then again I haven't seen a huge market for concert photography in microstock anyway. Most my best microstock sellers are those that are more generic looking. not specific band members but rather silhouettes, crowd shots, and such where it can be used a little easier for most anything.

But this way you are not giving your work away exactly for free, cheap yes but not free. But most important it gives you a portfolio and you can start making money right off rather then the whole "well later on we might have paid work for you, oh hey we need you to cover this show tomorrow. Sorry it's such short notice so we don't have the funds to pay you for this one yet either but soon we promise."

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sponsored links

9,851 views & 1 like for this thread
Passes for photos??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.