Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 16:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Intro, 200 f/2.8L, software

Michael ­ Barkley
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 23, 2014 16:28 |  #1

Well folks, I used to lurk here as a Nikon user. I learned a lot. Long story short I took photography seriously years back, got depressed, sold everything. Anyway, the love of the art has me back, and shooting Canon. I had no gear keeping me brand orientated... And even if I did, after trying the Canon and Nikons side by side, there is no comparison for me. Canon hands down!

I shoot a 6D, 20mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8 and on Monday I will have a 200mm f/2.8L.

I have always preferred primes, and the dicipline of using them. I recently tried a 200 L glass and upon review of the images and experience I had to order one... I could definitely do with a handful of cheap manual flashes and triggers, but I'm not always logical!

I tried this with a 2x TC and it was still pin sharp, focus speed was still good. It may be a useful addition for wildlife.

The only lens I am considering in the much later future is a fast 50 for very shallow dof. That can wait!

What are your go-to lenses?

What software are folks preferring these days? I installed a trial of the new lightroom a few months back and it was buggy as hell! I used Capture One 4 before IIRC. It was fine, but left me with a load of copies of photos and was a big ask on the computer.

Kind regards,
Mike

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 23, 2014 16:30 |  #2

Just to be clear, usually when people talk about the 200L they mean the 200 F2 monster lens. For me is the 135L thats my go to lens.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,287 posts
Gallery: 1697 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 23, 2014 16:33 |  #3

Heya,

What do you primarily shoot?

I saw you mention wildlife, but what else?

Go to lenses are based on what you're shooting.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 23, 2014 16:36 |  #4

Software= canon DPP
Go to lens = all in my list below depending on the situations.. Hell even my 18-55mm piece of sh1t with my 350D will get a look in for the Brazil World Cup :-)

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Michael ­ Barkley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 23, 2014 17:09 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #16856207 (external link)
Just to be clear, usually when people talk about the 200L they mean the 200 F2 monster lens. For me is the 135L thats my go to lens.

Understood. Definitely clearly denoted that I have ordered the 2.8 L. The f/2 is much out of my financial capability now.

Michael ­ Barkley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 23, 2014 17:11 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #16856216 (external link)
Heya,

What do you primarily shoot?

I saw you mention wildlife, but what else?

Go to lenses are based on what you're shooting.

Very best,

Still life, portraiture, nature, abstract.

Really just meant if you had a fave just due to how you react to using it, aesthetically or otherwise!

Michael ­ Barkley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 23, 2014 17:12 |  #7

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16856220 (external link)
Software= canon DPP
Go to lens = all in my list below depending on the situations.. Hell even my 18-55mm piece of sh1t with my 350D will get a look in for the Brazil World Cup :-)

I will look into dpp, thanks!

That wee 18-55 is surprisingly sharp for a kit zoom!!

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 23, 2014 17:37 |  #8

Michael Barkley wrote in post #16856200 (external link)
What software are folks preferring these days? I installed a trial of the new lightroom a few months back and it was buggy as hell! I used Capture One 4 before IIRC. It was fine, but left me with a load of copies of photos and was a big ask on the computer.

Kind regards,
Mike

Lightroom buggy? I don't see that at all. It's as solid as stable as anything I've ever used. I've used it since the release of LR4 and now am on LR 5.4 and it's the best, easiest to learn photo managing and editing software I've found. PS is too expensive and complex for the typical photo editing, and DPP is too basic (although for free it's not bad). PS Elements is okay and I use it when I need to step outside of the simple task of developing my RAW files, but LR handles 95% of what I do, with a couple of plugins assisting.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2014 17:47 |  #9

mostly LR 5.4, I've used LR for many years. No complaints, and not buggy on my MacMini. I could live w/o photoshop, but not w/o LR. Also have many plugins from OnOne, Alienskin and Nik, fun stuff, often leading me to editing ideas I'd not have come up with on the spot. Great books out there if that's your style, tons of tutorials and youtube videos out there to learn how to do just about anything. I have PS, had it also for over a decade, I doubt I'll ever sign up with Adobes subscribe for life or loose it model nowadays.

OnOne Perfect Photosuite also works as stand alone program and is getting better all the time. Most if not all allow you to download a trial version.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

rossco63
30 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2010

Apr 24, 2014 03:32 |  #10

+1 for LR, I have been using it since 4.x and it is now the preference over PS / Bridge. Currently using 5.4 on both OSX Maverics (Home) and Windows 7 x64 (Work) and sharing libraries.
Simplicity is the key for me.
And it still is a installed app vs cloud app
:)

20D / 7D / 5Ds R / 17-40 F4 L / 24-105 F4 IS L / 70-200 F2.8 IS L / Speedlite 550EX / Samyang 6.5 F3.5

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 24, 2014 16:27 |  #11

DPP and PhotoLine.

abcde12345
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 28, 2014 22:09 |  #12

Just wondering, how is the prime doing? I've had a hard time choosing between 70-200mm F2.8 L USM II and this, and I wonder how does the 200mm F2.8 compare to it. In fact, reviews seem to say that the zoom is comparable to the prime!

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Intro, 200 f/2.8L, software
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.