Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 23 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fell for it

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 24, 2014 05:59 |  #16

Justaddwata wrote in post #16857206 (external link)
Have not had issue with several lens purchases from Abes. They always try to sell you a filter or something but no hard push or high pressure - just the option.

How long ago were your purchases?

Note the new Abe's of Maine is a different company than the old Abe's of Maine.

The old Abe's of Maine ("Abe's Electronics Center, Inc.") of Edison NJ, was an authorized Canon dealer and *would* ship your order if you just insisted "no" to their upsell. Unfortunately they went bankrupt in November 2012. Their prices were reliably good -- probably about $20-40 less than B&H / Adorama, a reliable discount if you could deal with the upsell call.

The company was purchased in July 2013 by "Westpark Electronics, LLC." and moved to Linden NJ. They are no longer an authorized Canon dealer. Now, I don't know if the old management are still part of the company, but the reviews have seriously turned south after this. First, their prices are low, too low -- below typical unauthorized dealer prices. Reader feedback based on many samples is: high-pressure sales technique, based on lies (as is evidenced by this thread), and if they don't get their upsell, they will hang up on you and never ship your order.

If you've had a positive experience with Abe's after July 2013 please contact me and let me know so I can adjust my understanding, but I haven't heard any positive stories of them yet. So far it's been people complaining that I don't list them -- and then ordering, realizing, and then complaining about how horrible their experience was. :)

sponsored links
machinez
327 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 24, 2014 06:27 as a reply to  @ PhotoPrice's post |  #17

OP, tell them to issue you a partial refund of $100 or you will be sending back. Since they are not an authorized reseller, the warranty is iffy even with USA warranty card.

Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 24, 2014 06:32 as a reply to  @ machinez's post |  #18

Here is the lowdown on Westpark via BBB too.

http://www.bbb.org …lc-in-linden-nj-27002918/ (external link)

If you look through the history of complaints, pre 2013 it was primarily delivery/shipping issues with periodic advertising issues. After July 2013, the majority has shifted to advertising and warranty issues, both related due to gray market sales and upselling.

File a complaint with BBB, and then contact Abes, and tell them you want to return the lens at their expense due to their unethical sales pitch. If you are assertive enough, you can get it to happen. It looks like they want to close BBB cases, and this is the way to make that happen.

http://www.bbb.org …2918/Complaints​#breakdown (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 24, 2014 06:32 |  #19

Great info PhotoPrice. I did not know that, and was basing my opinion of Abe's on a transaction or two from several years ago, which were OK.

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,371 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 24, 2014 06:34 |  #20

bps wrote in post #16856591 (external link)
Not me!

They had a long history of bait-n-switch, then tried to operate clean for awhile, and then went back to bait-n-switch. They should be avoided now...

Bryan

Exactly!

I ordered some equipment from them years ago, and got a call from them a day later advising me that some of the stuff I ordered was "backordered" but to make up for it they would offer me a "better, pro grade" flash for only $XXX more, and a better motor drive for only $XXX more, and be able to ship it out that day. Unwittingly I agreed. Got the stuff and was pure junk, not the higher grade "pro" stuff the scam artist, er, excuse me, salesman, said it was, more like the stuff you find at flea markets.

Went round and round trying to get them to take it back. They wanted me to pay shipping and a restocking fees and would only give me a partial credit because the items had been opened, even though the quality wasn't close to what I wanted. Mine was not an isolated incident, I know a couple personal friends that experienced the same thing from them, and stories all over the internet just confirm it is standard practice for them.

Like most photography hobbyists, I have spent thousands of dollars over the last few years on equipment and accessories, and could have spent it with them, but never spent a single dime with them after that, and advise anyone I can to avoid them like the plaque.

Michael
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 24, 2014 06:39 |  #21

Firemike wrote in post #16857517 (external link)
Exactly!

I ordered some equipment from them years ago, and got a call from them a day later advising me that some of the stuff I ordered was "backordered" but to make up for it they would offer me a "better, pro grade" flash for only $XXX more, and a better motor drive for only $XXX more, and be able to ship it out that day. Unwittingly I agreed. Got the stuff and was pure junk, not the higher grade "pro" stuff the scam artist, er, excuse me, salesman, said it was, more like the stuff you find at flea markets.

Went round and round trying to get them to take it back. They wanted me to pay shipping and a restocking fees and would only give me a partial credit because the items had been opened, even though the quality wasn't close to what I wanted. Mine was not an isolated incident, I know a couple personal friends that experienced the same thing from them, and stories all over the internet just confirm it is standard practice for them.

Like most photography hobbyists, I have spent thousands of dollars over the last few years on equipment and accessories, and could have spent it with them, but never spent a single dime with them after that, and advise anyone I can to avoid them like the plaque.

Well unfortunately however bad Abes was in the past, the new Abe ownership is much worse. :(

I have purchased from Abes in the past too, and since I knew how everything would go down, I simply declined all their offers and requested that I be shipped what I paid for.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 24, 2014 08:56 |  #22

Yes I purchased them a few lenses several years ago and I was simply contacted on phone and they did ask if I needed a filter I said NO and that's it. The new one is just terrible - plastic mount ??? what is that?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 24, 2014 10:15 |  #23

alpha_1976 wrote in post #16857778 (external link)
Yes I purchased them a few lenses several years ago and I was simply contacted on phone and they did ask if I needed a filter I said NO and that's it. The new one is just terrible - plastic mount ??? what is that?

The most fun you can have if you ever get these calls is just play along and make it sound like you love what they are giving you.

"What, a plastic mount? Spectacular, I love those types of mounts since they don't ding up my camera when I mount them. I wasn't expecting that, thanks!"

"What a 1 hour battery? That is great for me, because I only shoot 10 minutes at a time, so I can go out for 6 sessions on one battery, thank you so much! I don't need the longer life batteries."

"Only a 3 month warranty vs a 1 year warranty? That is okay, I only keep equipment around for a month anyways, so thank you for saving me money by only giving me a 3 month vs 12 month warranty."

The salesmen don't have those responses on their cue cards. :)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 24, 2014 17:11 as a reply to  @ post 16857416 |  #24

Why would anyone pay $100 for a Canon Hood?

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2014 17:16 |  #25

eye2i wrote in post #16858949 (external link)
Why would anyone pay $100 for a Canon Hood?

There are Canon hoods some photographers would be madly happy to only have to pay $100 for.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 24, 2014 17:27 |  #26

pwm2 wrote in post #16858957 (external link)
There are Canon hoods some photographers would be madly happy to only have to pay $100 for.

I know, sorry, what I mean is who would pay $100.00 for a Canon 24-105L hood?

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 25, 2014 01:17 |  #27

PhotoPrice wrote in post #16857480 (external link)

The old Abe's of Maine ("Abe's Electronics Center, Inc.") of Edison NJ, was an authorized Canon dealer and *would* ship your order if you just insisted "no" to their upsell. Unfortunately they went bankrupt in November 2012. Their prices were reliably good -- probably about $20-40 less than B&H / Adorama, a reliable discount if you could deal with the upsell call.

The company was purchased in July 2013 by "Westpark Electronics, LLC." and moved to Linden NJ. They are no longer an authorized Canon dealer. Now, I don't know if the old management are still part of the company, but the reviews have seriously turned south after this. First, their prices are low, too low -- below typical unauthorized dealer prices. Reader feedback based on many samples is: high-pressure sales technique, based on lies (as is evidenced by this thread), and if they don't get their upsell, they will hang up on you and never ship your order.

If you've had a positive experience with Abe's after July 2013 please contact me and let me know so I can adjust my understanding, but I haven't heard any positive stories of them yet. So far it's been people complaining that I don't list them -- and then ordering, realizing, and then complaining about how horrible their experience was. :)

I do appreciate the update. I was unaware of the most recent change in ownership. My transactions were prior to this change. I will update my own recommendations and advice accordingly. ;)

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 25, 2014 07:08 |  #28

PhotoPrice wrote in post #16857480 (external link)

That totally explains it, thanks for the info.

I used to be a satisfied Abe's customer between 2008-2011. I bought probably 4-5 lenses and bodies from them, an authorized Canon and Sigma dealer. Never had a problem, only 1 upsell call which was short and not pushy.
I was puzzled with the new recent complaints about Abe's and the fact that they were no longer an authorized dealer. This info clears up my confusion.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

mark48
919 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 25, 2014 09:14 |  #29

I'd just as soon pay a bit more and order from B&H or Adorama. If nothing else, the peace of mind the extra bucks brings to me.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 25, 2014 11:06 |  #30

mark48 wrote in post #16860243 (external link)
I'd just as soon pay a bit more and order from B&H or Adorama. If nothing else, the peace of mind the extra bucks brings to me.

There is a median there somewhere. You can still get great deals outside the big retailers from valid sources. It just requires research, patience, and diligence, and a bit of common sense. :)

sponsored links

5,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fell for it
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.