Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best agency site to sell photos?

timelessfancy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 17, 2014 11:57 |  #1

Hi, I have a load of stuff just sitting around and would like to try and earn a couple of pounds/dollars/euros from them.
There are so many around that I would like a point in the right direction. I would prefer a free site rather than having to pay for the privilege.
Any help much appreciated.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2014 11:59 |  #2

If you think you are just going to put stuff online and have sales start up, you are probably in for some disappointment. You might look at the stock agencies, a lot depends on what kind of stuff you shoot.

timelessfancy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 17, 2014 18:19 |  #3

I have no false expectations, I was with a couple of agencies before it all went digital. I've got all sorts. Travel, ecology, street scenes, celebrities, and other stuff. I don't expect to make a fortune but it stands more of a chance in an agency than sitting in my drawers. I would like to be with someone who has been recommended by a satisfied customer.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 17, 2014 21:13 |  #4

timelessfancy wrote in post #16842042 (external link)
I have no false expectations, I was with a couple of agencies before it all went digital.

...unfortunately when things went digital the entire stock photography market went tits up. (Well realistically about six years after digital became more mainstream.) Look up the word "microstock" to see the impact digital has had on the stock photography industry.

It is still possible to make money from stock photography: but the photographers that tend to make money through stock have business plans orientated around shooting stock: so they produce lots and lots of images targeted at whatever is trending right now. The market for old "archive" stuff really isn't that big any more: if you have unique stuff in your archive then your best bet is to directly market it to people who would probably want to buy. You need to do your own research: match up with agencies that have similar work to what you want to sell then maybe come back to places like here for feedback on those agencies. It is hard to know what direction to send you without having seen any of your work. Consider looking at the new wave of agency like Image Brief: they post "briefs" and you can submit images from your archive that match the image brief. (Or you go out and shoot new stuff!) Best of luck.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

timelessfancy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 18, 2014 03:40 |  #5

Thank you for that. I will have a look. I have looked at microstock but there are so many that I thought I might find people who had had some experience with them. Will look at Image Brief and see what it is like.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 18, 2014 04:05 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

timelessfancy wrote in post #16842042 (external link)
I have no false expectations, I was with a couple of agencies before it all went digital. I've got all sorts. Travel, ecology, street scenes, celebrities, and other stuff. I don't expect to make a fortune but it stands more of a chance in an agency than sitting in my drawers. I would like to be with someone who has been recommended by a satisfied customer.

Yeah, I was in stock for like 1 year about 6 years ago. It's not even worth submitting. You get $.75 per image now, and there is so much content out there that you can't stand out easily yet only get like 10 sales a month.

TriExposure (external link)

timelessfancy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 18, 2014 06:50 |  #7

Gosh, I think I was making £50 a month back then. Things have really gone bad.

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 19, 2014 05:26 |  #8

Alamy is a popular choice if you seriously do want to sell photos as stock. But with millions of photos out there stock photography now is not really worth it unless you can find a pathway to selling certain kinds of images.
I am however apart of the news photography on Alamy, if you catch a headline photo of a serious crime scene or a major sporting event and upload it via FTP before anyone else you could been talking serious money if a news company requests to use it. News companies obviously choose sites like Alamy over hiring photographers now, that is the only really big downside of it. I feel guilty uploading to Alamy knowing that out there an amazing and better photographer than me has probably been made redundant over the past few years because of sites like these. But because I currently have no job and am in education, if an image does sell it is a nice bit of cash for me.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,009 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 23, 2014 17:16 |  #9

I sell my budget images on iStock, and my premium (NZ only) ones on photonewzealand.

Although micro stock you get pennies per image, it's better than your image just sitting in your card drive collecting data dust. Most of my iStock images are just test shots of new gear, shots from learning a new technique etc so nothing spectacular, but they do sell!

My most popular image to date (external link) has sold 5 x per month and is increasing, which is pretty neat –*considering these kinds of images will never sell as prints ;)

It just takes a while to gain momentum with micro stock, but once you have a neat portfolio you can pretty much just forget about it, upload new shots every now and then and 'hey look, I can cash out and buy a new lens!' – after a few months ;)

6D | 600D | A6000 | 10-22mm ƒ3.5-4.5 USM | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | TM 35mm ƒ1.8 VC | 40mm ƒ2.8 STM | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 55-250 ƒ4.5-5.6 II | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 24, 2014 09:07 |  #10

I have about 1200 images on Alamy. I sell about 1 a month and average sale is about $35. Granted it's mostly editorial shots. I also use a new site called Picfair.com where you can set the price yourself. Sold a few on there too so far.

A lot of folk set up Smugmug and Zen sites and pay the premium subscription to sell their stuff but I have no what return on investment they are getting if any.

Most of my income from photography is in photojournalism or weddings, or direct sales to newspapers without using agencies. I also submitted work to Demotix for a while and the returns were really low.

No matter what avenue you go down, you can bet there's another few hundred folk all doing it too.

The key is to stick at it even through the rough spells. Just keep your head down and gun for the goals you set yourself.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2014 13:54 |  #11

Kyle Blunt wrote in post #16845599 (external link)
Alamy is a popular choice if you seriously do want to sell photos as stock. But with millions of photos out there stock photography now is not really worth it unless you can find a pathway to selling certain kinds of images.
I am however apart of the news photography on Alamy, if you catch a headline photo of a serious crime scene or a major sporting event and upload it via FTP before anyone else you could been talking serious money if a news company requests to use it. News companies obviously choose sites like Alamy over hiring photographers now, that is the only really big downside of it. I feel guilty uploading to Alamy knowing that out there an amazing and better photographer than me has probably been made redundant over the past few years because of sites like these. But because I currently have no job and am in education, if an image does sell it is a nice bit of cash for me.

Does Alamy's sports side apply for credentials for you? Curious about that...

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the best agency site to sell photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.