Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Photo Bankruptcy

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 19, 2014 11:18 |  #76

I have heard that on Monday several stores will reopen to liquidate merchandise and to address folks that have gear held at the stores -- or that was shipped to vendors for repair.

I really do hope Oakbrook opens again, its a good store. Did Calumet consider this their flagship store after they left Bensonville?

sponsored links
henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 23, 2014 11:24 |  #77

According to court papers filed Monday in Calumet’s bankruptcy case, CalPhotoUS LLC—a new company formed by Calumet’s former principals—is offering $2.825 million to acquire inventory, store leases and other assets. (external link)

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

RickyH
398 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2014 18:46 |  #78

Patrick_E wrote in post #16845001 (external link)
I sure hope so!

I used to rent lighting gear there a couple of times per year as well as purchasing some other gear.

Added plus is I live about 15 minutes from there.

Pat

Same here! Just open this one. I know I sound selfish, but I don't care!

Equipment: Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Canon 430 Speedlite.

Josh13
164 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 24, 2014 22:11 as a reply to  @ RickyH's post |  #79

Calumet in San Diego is open and selling everything off at 20-50% off. Not a lot of stuff left there they said they opened almost two weeks ago and think they will be open for maybe another week. I got a rental 400 f4 DO.

5DIV, Elan 7n, 400 f4 DO I, 100-400mm II, 1.4x TCIII, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8 STM, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7rIII, A6300, 100-400 GM, 85 f1.4 GM, 90 Macro, 55 f1.8, 16-35 F4, 35 f2.8, Batis 25 f2, Samyang 14 f2.8 AF, MC-11.
D500, 200-500, Tokina 300 f2.8, 35 f1.8
S110, D20, Hero 6, 3+

waylandcool
486 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 10, 2014 22:26 |  #80

Calumet Oak Brook is open under new (hopefully brighter) management. The manager of the Chicago store (John?) opened a new store just north of downtown Chicago about a month ago.

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 11, 2014 07:50 |  #81

I have mixed feelings about stores that close. On the one hand, yeah, it's sad that they couldn't stay in business. Another brick & mortar retailer falls victim to the big bad internet.

But on the other hand, I think "Why?" Why did they fail?

More often than not, it's not the internet, it's mismanagement. I know of two brick & mortar stores in southern California which, last I head, were still doing very well. My daughter shops regularly at one of them.

Someone mentioned Ritz Camera executives. Well, who was running the show before those guys came on board? Photographers? Maybe the photographers weren't getting it done, and had run it so far into the ground that it couldn't be salvaged. If that's the case, how do the guys from Ritz deserve all the blame?

Say what you will about Ritz, but every Ritz I've ever walked into has been well stocked with products across the pricing spectrum. Some employees knew their stuff, some didn't, but that's easily fixed. Their prices weren't the best, but they didn't have to be. I know plenty of people who won't shop on the internet. They want to put their cash down on the counter and walk out with their purchase. These are the people who shop at Ritz, and there are still a lot of them.

I don't have an independent camera store here in St. Augustine. If I put "camera store" into Google, it comes back with "Wal-Mart" or "Costco" in Jacksonville. I have to go to Orlando, a good 90 minutes away, if I want to go to a decent camera store. Consequently, I do the vast majority of my shopping online. But even if there was a brick & mortar store here, it would still need to be well-stocked for me to be remotely interested in visiting it. I've only lived here a short time, but my understanding is that none of the shops that used to be here were run very well.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 11, 2014 09:19 |  #82

Road Dog wrote in post #17024693 (external link)
Say what you will about Ritz, but every Ritz I've ever walked into has been well stocked with products across the pricing spectrum. Some employees knew their stuff, some didn't, but that's easily fixed. Their prices weren't the best, but they didn't have to be.

I used to annoy my family by visiting a Ritz store every time we passed one, whether running errands or out of town on vacation. I wanted to see how a multi-site chain which competed with B&H was operated on a store-by-store level. YMMV but in my overall experience their inventory was limited by brand, limited to lower-level, lower-priced amateur or entry-level cameras. They had a smattering of lenses, flashes and other accessories but certainly not a range I'd describe as wide or deep.

I'm not saying they should have had more -- presumably they knew their clientele -- but IMO they did not represent one-stop shopping for a photographer above the hobby level.

And, like chains in other industries, they opened with lower prices, drove locally owned mom-and-pop stores out of business. Then, when they became the only game in town, found no impediment to limiting the range and scope of products and accessories.

As I said, YMMV

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 11, 2014 10:07 as a reply to  @ henryp's post |  #83

A few years ago I woke up and realised I wanted an EF135 and thought it would be fluffy to at least try and use my local camera shop. The whole affair had an air about it I was doing them a favour being loyal to local small business, etc, their price well above what was a few clicks away on the internet. After a month of them not getting it, replying 'they didn't know what Canon were playing at,' I asked for my deposit back and everyone had a resigned feeling, no words needed to really express. I think I got it a few days later, cheaper, off Amazon delivered to me at work.

I know on the one hand Amazon, at least in this country, aren't very good at paying corporation tax, something local businesses aren't big enough by their very nature to avoid, but on the other hand even when I tried to shop at my local high street camera store, prepared to pay a bit more out of some romantic notion of 'shopping locally,' and giving them the benefit of having to source it in, a month was more than enough to make my romantic notions of local high street loyalty evaporate effortlessly away.

They closed down a while ago, which didn't really surprise me.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 11, 2014 10:53 |  #84

henryp wrote in post #17024857 (external link)
I used to annoy my family by visiting a Ritz store every time we passed one, whether running errands or out of town on vacation. I wanted to see how a multi-site chain which competed with B&H was operated on a store-by-store level. YMMV but in my overall experience their inventory was limited by brand, limited to lower-level, lower-priced amateur or entry-level cameras. They had a smattering of lenses, flashes and other accessories but certainly not a range I'd describe as wide or deep.

I'm not saying they should have had more -- presumably they knew their clientele -- but IMO they did not represent one-stop shopping for a photographer above the hobby level.

And, like chains in other industries, they opened with lower prices, drove locally owned mom-and-pop stores out of business. Then, when they became the only game in town, found no impediment to limiting the range and scope of products and accessories.

As I said, YMMV

While I never conducted any type of inventory, they always had the latest prosumer bodies, and always had plenty of white lenses on the shelves. The were also always well-stocked in Nikon, as well. I never had them order anything for me, but I know people who have, and there didn't seem to be any limitation on what they could get from a manufacturer.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 12, 2014 17:53 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

waylandcool wrote in post #17024176 (external link)
Calumet Oak Brook is open under new (hopefully brighter) management. The manager of the Chicago store (John?) opened a new store just north of downtown Chicago about a month ago.

not sure about that... who decided to have the store clossed on saturday, but opened on sunday....

i was there on saturday week after opening and saw about 4-5 angry customers that didn't know the store was closed on saturday and just left...

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 12, 2014 18:20 |  #86

henryp wrote in post #17024857 (external link)

As I said, YMMV

That was always my experience. A few bodies and things to claim to be full service photo shop, but very low end accessories and bad advice.

waylandcool
486 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 14, 2014 16:13 |  #87

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17027550 (external link)
not sure about that... who decided to have the store clossed on saturday, but opened on sunday....

i was there on saturday week after opening and saw about 4-5 angry customers that didn't know the store was closed on saturday and just left...

Hence the hopefully part. I've seen stores closed on Sunday before and I've also seen stores open all weekend and closed on Monday or Tuesday. The closed on Saturday thing is strange to me since that seems to be the busier shopping day then Sunday.

waylandcool
486 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 14, 2014 16:16 |  #88

Road Dog wrote in post #17024693 (external link)
I have mixed feelings about stores that close.

They may be 20 miles apart (roughly) but in driving time, it's at least an hour between stores. I live in the far suburbs and I never drive into the city much less downtown. Too much hassle. Oak Brook is easier to get to from the suburbs. So the two stores really serve different client bases.

rjharris
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 14, 2014 18:53 |  #89

They may be Jewish and will not open from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night the true Sabboth. B&H will not process orders from that time either if memory serves me correctly. It's not just a seventh day adventist thing anymore. There might be some other religions that do that as well.

DRLPhotog
245 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 15, 2014 11:15 |  #90

rjharris wrote in post #17032033 (external link)
They may be Jewish and will not open from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night the true Sabboth. B&H will not process orders from that time either if memory serves me correctly. It's not just a seventh day adventist thing anymore. There might be some other religions that do that as well.

I'm thinking this is exactly why they are closed on Saturday's because they were also closed for a couple days in early June for a Jewish holiday.

Dwane
---------------
Canon 7D MK II | BG-E7 | Canon 5D MK III | EF 70-200 2.8 IS II | EF 24-70 2.8 | EF 1.4x II | 580EX II | (3x) 430EX II
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

20,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Photo Bankruptcy
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.