Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wisconsin to Oregon trip ideas

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2014 23:42 |  #1

Hi All,
My wife and I are planning a trip from Wisconsin to Oregon this summer and we are looking for travel ideas. We are looking for advice on routes and great landscape stops along the way. I would appreciate it if you could point us in the right direction. Thanks!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

sponsored links
bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 23, 2014 14:42 |  #2

You coming in on I-84? How far off the highway are you willing to go? What part of Oregon are you visiting? I can come up with some good ideas if I knew where you'd be.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 23, 2014 21:47 |  #3

Glacier Nat'l park in Montanna if you go north, or Yellowstone.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

georgebowman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 23, 2014 23:34 |  #4

We thought about heading west on I-94 across Minnesota, North Dakota and then pick up I-90 at Billings, Montana. Then take I-90 through Idaho to Washington and then on 385 to I-82 and then I-84 to Portland. We plan to visit Astoria, OR since my wife and I are both "Goonies" fans. We would like to drive south along the coast on Hwy 101. We would love ideas for places to visit along the coast. We could take Hwy 87 out of Billings and visit Glacier on the way West or stop there on the way back home. I'm planning on taking a bunch of compact flash cards, my MacBook Pro and Passport so I can shoot plenty of images. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeepin
120 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 24, 2014 09:17 |  #5

X2 on Glacier Park. Schedule some time for riding the "red bus" over the Going to the Sun Road. Also visit Many Glaciers area in the northeast corner. Then come on over and enjoy the Columbia River Gorge as a prelude to the Oregon Coast.

5D Mk II, 7D, 15mm fisheye Canon, 16-35 2.8L II, 24-70L, 85 1.2L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 600EX, CX113 Induro, KS-6 gyro for when the tripod doesn't work. :)

http://www.BREWSPHOTO.​COM (external link)

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 24, 2014 14:20 |  #6

On the coast:

The bluffs at Blacklock Point
Thor's Well
Peter Iredale shipwreck at Fort Stevens
Wizards Hat at Bandon
Dunes at Coos Bay
Shore Acres State Park if the surf is rough.
Heceta Head lighthouse
Any of the haystack rocks at Cannon Beach or Pacific City
If you want a cool architecture shot, shoot the Arch Cape Inn during sunset.

WVUEerFan74
140 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 24, 2014 14:51 |  #7

If you change your mind and go through SD, there is always the Badlands and the Black Hills too.

Canon T2i Digital SLR; stock 17-55mm and Sigma 70-300mm telephoto.
I am just learning so any suggestions are welcome.

georgebowman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 24, 2014 22:42 |  #8

Thanks for the great ideas. I think we may hit Glacier on the way west and the focus on the Oregon coast. My wife and I have visited the Black Hills and Bad Lands several times so we will likely bypass South Dakota this time around. I'll have to get down to business and start preparing an itinerary. Please let me know if there are any other ideas. Thanks again!

TheInfamousGreedo
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 24, 2014 23:28 |  #9

Take I-94 out. When you pass Billings, MT, you'll come to Laurel, MT; exit there. This is highway 212 which takes you over Bear Tooth Pass. From there you have a few options: you can head to Yellowstone, you can loop back to I-94 via highway 89 which will take you back to Livingston, MT (amazing views) or you can take 191 back to I-94 which follows the Gallatin river up to Bozeman. It mostly depends on if you want a scenic drive or a day or two of other activities.

I-94 is actually very beautiful to drive through Montana, so no need to venture off to any back roads. From there I'd get off in Missoula and take highway 12; this heads west into Idaho via Lolo Pass. I took this on accident many years ago and it's an unbelievable drive. I was heading to Bend (central Oregon), so I headed south at Kooskia. You can continue on 12 which takes you into Walla Walla and eventually you'll end up in northern Oregon. The route I took takes you down 95 which borders Hells Canyon.

You've got a lot of options, but if it were me I would make it a point to see part of Montana/Wyoming on the drive out.

TJ Simon (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

oahumike
460 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 25, 2014 03:37 |  #10

WVUEerFan74 wrote in post #16858666 (external link)
If you change your mind and go through SD, there is always the Badlands and the Black Hills too.

There's not a lot more in the Midwest after this. So many state parks near that area. I would recommend to do it again

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

georgebowman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 25, 2014 23:43 |  #11

Thank you everyone! I agree with Oahumike about the Midwest. We've traveled Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois pretty heavily over the years. It is truly beautiful, especially along the Great Lakes. We haven't traveled the in the Northwest US yet. I can't wait until June when we head out on our adventure. Thanks again.

Dave ­ R.
275 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 26, 2014 07:44 as a reply to  @ georgebowman's post |  #12

Hope this helps. If going to Astoria on Hwy 30 out of Portland you will pass within a 1 1/2 miles of my place. Wave as you go by or PM me and perhaps I could meet with you for a coffee or ??? I'll be in Green Bay this summer participating in some fishing derby. My son-in-law grew up there.

https://maps.google.co​m …spn=2.969397,4.​828491&z=8 (external link)

georgebowman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 27, 2014 22:55 |  #13

Dave R. wrote in post #16862495 (external link)
Hope this helps. If going to Astoria on Hwy 30 out of Portland you will pass within a 1 1/2 miles of my place. Wave as you go by or PM me and perhaps I could meet with you for a coffee or ??? I'll be in Green Bay this summer participating in some fishing derby. My son-in-law grew up there.

https://maps.google.co​m …spn=2.969397,4.​828491&z=8 (external link)

I just might give you call if we're close. I'll send you a private message if it's going to work out. I'll bet you are fishing in either a Walleye or small mouth bass fishing tournament. The Fox River and Green Bay have some of the best walleye and small mouth bass fisheries in the world. Great place. I was in Green Bay twice in the last couple of weeks. It's a great city. Don't forget to visit the Packers Hall of Fame. Nice place to visit.

ickmcdon
323 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 28, 2014 22:43 |  #14

Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, ND, right along I-94.

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 30, 2014 20:16 |  #15

Don't bother with the red bus tours in glacier. just drive the road and pull over at as many pullovers as you can (they are positioned in the right stops for spectacular views). the road is surprisingly wide (especially after the recent renovations) and is super easy to drive.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

sponsored links

2,721 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wisconsin to Oregon trip ideas
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.