Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your "Brenizer Method" shots!

PeteD
Goldmember
2,953 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 24, 2014 19:43 |  #1066

eriet30 wrote in post #16858819 (external link)
How much does the "order" of shots help LR. I.e. I have been told get one full shot of subject then start top left above move right then down then back left then down then back right... etc.

Does that help at all or am I overthinking it

Not butting in but, I have done many of these and also know people who do them. We get best results with getting the main point of interest in the first one to two shots. That way if they happen to move, it is no big deal. Then just continue around the rest of the frame you want to fill. You do not want to jump all around say like from one corner to another however.LR, photoshop, etc,,, will automatically put them in order by number. You just want to cover the entire section. Does not matter if you go left to right, right to left, up or down , etc.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it!!
52weeks completed (external link)
My 365 thread on the Camel (external link)
P & A Photos Flickr (external link)
P & A Photos Photobucket (external link)

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 24, 2014 23:10 |  #1067

I got one question in mind, do you take several frames that include the subject? If so, what if the subject moves? I mean humans aren't statues. Doesn't matter how hard you try to stay still, there's going to be slight movement. Is PS smart enough to stitch the subject flawlessly?

NG8JGFX
741 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 24, 2014 23:14 |  #1068

Josh Young wrote in post #16857160 (external link)
My first gut reaction was, "that doesn't look real." But I didn't want to call anybody out unless I had the fact :). In addition to the blur incorrectly placed in some places, the photo looks like it was shot at around 70-100mm maybe (I'm still learning how to see focal length :p ). With the Brenizer we'd end up on the wide side of the focal length typically.

Looks like PS Tilt Shift Effect filter to me

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2014 00:58 |  #1069

morph2_7 wrote in post #16859618 (external link)
I got one question in mind, do you take several frames that include the subject? If so, what if the subject moves? I mean humans aren't statues. Doesn't matter how hard you try to stay still, there's going to be slight movement. Is PS smart enough to stitch the subject flawlessly?

I've found that it's easier to just have them move out of the frame after I took their shot. I first take a few of the subject to make sure I get the right pose or expression. Sometimes I even have them do several poses. DO try to include the whole subject though as that will give you one anchoring frame to build around.

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2014 01:15 |  #1070

Josh Young wrote in post #16845466 (external link)
Size of the frame I case you guys are interested

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …97417947@N08/13​908049511/  (external link)
48 MSGS (external link) by BoneDC (external link), on Flickr

This shot unfortunately suffers from a lack of proper posing direction. We were walking back from doing our community service when I noticed the potential in the background. So I just ask the group for a shot and they just fall together into a gaggle. :). Taking a few frames of the subject is important to make sure that you got the right pose and expression. You can even have them do several poses. As long as you're not moving and that there are not too many straight lines, PS will stitch them correctly.

So, after I finish taking several frames of the group, I then let them walk past by me, and shot the rest of the frame. Often, when you do this, the frame with the subject will be completely masked, but that is easily brushed away. The beauty is the frame with your subject is likely going to be one of your first two frames. I also combined the subject shot with the one that include the full shoulder of the guy to the right.

As you can see from the final frame, it's got potential, but needs just a bit more to push it better. :)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/13908125136_78a480436f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …97417947@N08/13​908125136/  (external link)
48MSGS (external link) by BoneDC (external link), on Flickr

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2014 01:17 |  #1071

Also, while I shot the subjects horizontal, I shot the pano vertical as I'm more comfortable doing that. PS stitched it without skipping a beat :)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 25, 2014 01:54 |  #1072

Thanks. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the editing technique. I'm a complete PS newbie. I'm hoping to get a result automatically, something like clicking Photomerge - select all photos - click OK.. and voila.. final result. If it requires manual adjustments (like masking, layering etc), I'm afraid I don't have the skills :-(, yet.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 25, 2014 03:33 |  #1073

Josh Young - I'm so inspired by the way you grab a "snapshot" moment (e.g.) with friends and family, but then go on to create an outstanding image that I'd have otherwise thought only attempted with planning, time care, specialized equipment and patient models.

Brenizier results can look over posed, but your are so natural / personal / real.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2014 17:19 |  #1074

Thanks Martin. You've got some great images on your Flickr page yourself. Gorgeous landscapes.

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 25, 2014 17:21 |  #1075

morph2_7 wrote in post #16859799 (external link)
Thanks. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the editing technique. I'm a complete PS newbie. I'm hoping to get a result automatically, something like clicking Photomerge - select all photos - click OK.. and voila.. final result. If it requires manual adjustments (like masking, layering etc), I'm afraid I don't have the skills :-(, yet.

Morph, PS will automatically blend and layer for you. All you have to do is brush in/ out the layer you want on top for the most part.

Josh ­ Young
762 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 28, 2014 15:08 |  #1076

Here's my most ambitious stitch yet :). A 78 shot Brenizer at Partnach Gorge in Southern Germany.
5D3 with Tamron 70-200 at 85mm and 3.2

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/14066280855_11f6048431_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nqZn​eH  (external link) True Love's Kiss (external link) by BoneDC (external link), on Flickr

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 28, 2014 15:20 |  #1077

Josh Young wrote in post #16867656 (external link)
Here's my most ambitious stitch yet :). A 78 shot Brenizer at Partnach Gorge in Southern Germany.
5D3 with Tamron 70-200 at 85mm and 3.2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
True Love's Kiss (external link) by BoneDC (external link), on Flickr

That is very nicely done!

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 28, 2014 19:17 |  #1078

im just wondering, why did you go 85mm f3.2 when you could have gone 200mm f2.8 for a much greater depth?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

UmphreyBogart
466 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 28, 2014 20:01 |  #1079

Can extension tubes be used to heighten this effect?

6D

Tamron 70-200mm f2.8| Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 17-40 f/4L

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2014 10:33 |  #1080

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/14066137512_548405e8f0_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nqYC​Ch  (external link)
Bluebell hill (external link) by mdcaptures (external link), on Flickr

Would this pass casual inspection as Brenizer? I faked it. What gives it away?

Will post a real one when I can master the basics.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

sponsored links

487,758 views & 147 likes for this thread
Show us your "Brenizer Method" shots!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.