Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for bird photography with Canon Rebel T5i

livelaughlovejs
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 24, 2014 18:19 |  #1

What is a good lenses to photography birds with under $1400.00? :) I have a Canon Rebel T5i camera.

I like to photography birds.

Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Zoom Lens / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens

sponsored links
tomj
629 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 24, 2014 18:40 |  #2

Canon 400/5.6

Flickr (external link)

livelaughlovejs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 24, 2014 18:46 |  #3

I have been looking at this one
Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lens
L Series super telephoto lens with Optical Image Stabilization for Canon EOS SLR cameras

Is it better than the Canon 400/5.6?

Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Zoom Lens / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens

livelaughlovejs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 24, 2014 18:48 |  #4

http://www.crutchfield​.com …L-IS-USM-Lens.html?tp=279 (external link)

This is the web site

livelaughlovejs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 24, 2014 18:52 |  #5

Their the same price.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 24, 2014 18:53 |  #6

Yeah but you just added another zero. Did you leave a zero off your budget?

livelaughlovejs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 24, 2014 19:37 |  #7

Yes, Sorry! I messed up! :)

txcanon
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2014 20:51 |  #8

For $1400 I would go for the canon 400 f/5.6 like tomj mentioned above. For a few dollars more a canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 is also a good choice.

Brad
My Photo Gallery (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 26, 2014 11:57 |  #9

txcanon wrote in post #16859406 (external link)
For $1400 I would go for the canon 400 f/5.6 like tomj mentioned above. For a few dollars more a canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 is also a good choice.

But not better :p

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 26, 2014 12:23 |  #10

Foggiest wrote in post #16862946 (external link)
But not better :p

"Better" is subjective here. Sure, the prime is slightly sharper and a little quicker to AF, but the zoom has IS and more versatilty with focal length. Which is "better" depends on what each person prioritises, and what they need at the time. They are both very good lenses for bird photography.

The 100-400L is a very capable, and versatile, birding lens.

The 400L is a slighter better birding lens when it is suitable for the shot in hand (which I admit, will be the majority of the time), but there are times that the IS, or a shorter focal length, of the 100-400L will get you the best shot when the 400L can't.

When I am birding, I carry two bodies. One with a long prime, and one with the 100-400L to get the shots the prime is too long for. If I had to choose between 400 prime and 100-400 zoom ONLY, I would go for the versatility of the zoom. The IQ difference is negligible and only noticeable when pixel peeping.

I have a lot of bird shots that were taken between 100 and 400 mm.

hairyjames
419 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2014 01:37 |  #11

400L over the "Dust Pump" if you want the best image quality of the two, plus it is superior for tracking birds in flight.

Get the Pump though if you like the zoom but understand that this design allows dust to eventually get inside the lens . . . so you'll be sending it out to Canon for cleaning every couple of years.

Both will give you outstanding results though. I put my money on the EF400/5.6 L . . . and NO regrets whatsoever.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 27, 2014 04:49 |  #12

hairyjames wrote in post #16864181 (external link)
Get the Pump though if you like the zoom but understand that this design allows dust to eventually get inside the lens . . . so you'll be sending it out to Canon for cleaning every couple of years.

Seven years since I bought mine - no dust yet (despite three trips to Africa). I don't know of anybody who actually owns this lens who has suffered from this myth.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 27, 2014 06:24 |  #13

sandpiper wrote in post #16862988 (external link)
"Better" is subjective here. Sure, the prime is slightly sharper and a little quicker to AF, but the zoom has IS and more versatilty with focal length. Which is "better" depends on what each person prioritises, and what they need at the time. They are both very good lenses for bird photography.

The 100-400L is a very capable, and versatile, birding lens.

The 400L is a slighter better birding lens when it is suitable for the shot in hand (which I admit, will be the majority of the time), but there are times that the IS, or a shorter focal length, of the 100-400L will get you the best shot when the 400L can't.

When I am birding, I carry two bodies. One with a long prime, and one with the 100-400L to get the shots the prime is too long for. If I had to choose between 400 prime and 100-400 zoom ONLY, I would go for the versatility of the zoom. The IQ difference is negligible and only noticeable when pixel peeping.

I have a lot of bird shots that were taken between 100 and 400 mm.

Hehe.
In my post the ":p" said what your post said!
:p

100-400 or 456, it's a close enough call with pros and cons.
I went with the 456... oh that lens hood is genius!

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2014 08:57 |  #14

400L over the "Dust Pump" if you want the best image quality of the two, plus it is superior for tracking birds in flight.

Whilst I do agree here, the IQ difference is only noticeable when pixel peeping, or possibly if making very heavy crops or very large prints. Once the images are processed, and given normal sharpening for output (and I don't find I need to sharpen images from the zoom any more than from the prime) the difference disappears.

As for the tracking superiority, I would say that I find the actual tracking to be as good as a prime once you have acquired the target, as the actual focus shift due to the movement of the bird is small. I have tracked fast moving birds with the zoom and it keeps them in focus just fine.

The difference in AF is noticeable when you first start focusing on a BIF, if the lens is focused at a significantly different distance, as it takes a little longer for the zoom to wind its way to the correct focus, where the primes tend to snap onto the target quicker. Once the target is in focus though, I have not noticed the zooms tracking ability failing to keep it in focus.

I have had my 100-400L for 9 years, often shooting in VERY dusty conditions such as on the "tank bank" at Duxford on a sunny day, where tanks are constantly driving close by and filling the air with fine dust, so that the camera is quickly covered in a film of the stuff and needs regular brushing down, including brushing it off the lens and front element.

According to your theory, I should have needed to send it in 4 times by now. In actual fact it has never been in for cleaning, nor does it have any noticeable dust inside it. I have never heard any complaints about dust from someone who actually owns the lens, indeed when threads have been started by potential buyers asking about the "problem", all the replies from actual users have been that the myth is rubbish and they have no dust issues.

Yet the myth persists because of people who don't have the lens repeating it, whenever the lens is discussed.

Both will give you outstanding results though.

I couldn't agree more with this, they do have different strengths but both are extremely capable lenses for bird photography.

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 29, 2014 14:26 |  #15

I went for the prime, simply because animals around here are so shy around here that there's little need to zoom out.

The tamron 150-600 seems like a worthy option too, but I've never used it myself, so I can't comment too much on it.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

sponsored links

14,540 views & 1 like for this thread
Lenses for bird photography with Canon Rebel T5i
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.