Challenge #481 - A dominant color
A colorful group of entries this week, thanks a lot to all. Nine beautiful pictures and a difficult decision for the judge. I made my private notes and picked the winners before writing the comments in an attempt to present meaningful impressions.
Comments in the order of appearance:
- teekay – G1 – ORANGE: Sunset in Bryce Canyon, Utah
I'm not sure how much goes to the natural color of the rocks and how much to the sunset, but the overall result is delighting. The canyon itself is beautiful. A great picture to start the challenge!
- JimAskew – G11 – Yellow - The Eyes Are Watching!
Not too many yellow pixels, really, but with those eyes and the powerful sight there is no doubt: Yellow is the dominant color. And the owl (is it a owl ?) is a very good lucking wild bird. Second good entry for the week, and counting ...
- Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Juicy & Sweet
The idea of 'Juicy & Sweet' is visually described by the shiny surfaces of the bowl and the strawberries. The shine and the sharp focus enhance the deep red color that dominates the composition randomly broken by the green sepals. Another one of the nine great entries, thanks Maureen.
- northants nin – G12 - PURPLE…..
You made me smile showing the same purple color that was the beginning of this challenge with the 'veronicas' and 'cucuruchos' of my pictures of the holy week.
Leaving the color aside, I imagine this flower as the garden representation of fireworks. The other flowers, out of focus and blended with the green background complete the idea of an explosion of color, purple color, of course! ...
- Spoco57 – G1X – Bright Massage
Interesting picture! No matter how many posters / ornaments / announcements they put there, the bright red is the main feature of the business front. A kind of Thai 'spa'? At the same time, the red can't hide the bamboo details, the objects displayed in the lower windows or the texture of the small glasses in the upper row.
I want one of those gift vouchers announced!. Is the photo taken in Ireland? I noted the .ie domain name of their web site.
- OhLook – G15 – Rose washed by rain
One flower, a lonely color, and the possibility of analyze the shades as we do in a Black and White picture. I think it is really a unique and clever way to present a picture for the challenge of dominant color. To complement the elements of interest, the position of the petals and the conspicuous dew / rain drop play an important role in the composition.
- GMHY – G1X - Shades of blue
The flat mass of sky and the deep blue water with the texture of the waves are enough for a photo with a dominant color, but don't make it necessarily interesting.
Several things add to that interest: the reflection of the clear sky in the water, the ground and vegetation breaking the horizon line, the fact that all the colors in the ground and houses are neutral and the absence of green in the trees. A beautiful landscape that fits the theme.
- Raven – G16 – Hot Pink Azalea
Another explosion of color. the hot pinks and the greens are equally saturated and luminous, but the flowers in the focus plane have a greater area and the volume better defined than the leaves, thus they dominate the scene. I'm wondering if that is the normal color saturation of the camera or if you used a vivid color setting or increased the colors in post processing. Nice picture too.
- marie – G2 – Foxglove
A beautiful cluster of flowers that show the dominant purple color enhanced by the dark green background. I must confess that I have never seen them before, and I'm heavily attracted by the spots inside the flower that resemble small white painted flowers. The ninth beautiful photo to close the weekly challenge. Thank you, marie.
Counting from one to nine on each new entry was my way to mesure the difficulty of the judging task. After the thirth entry, the nightmare of removing photos from the three top places began. Thank you all, your creativity made this challenge special and now, after choosing the winners, I'm enjoying every entry even more.
- 1st - OhLook – G15 – Rose washed by rain
- 2nd - teekay – G1 – ORANGE: Sunset in Bryce Canyon, Utah
- 3rd - Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Juicy & Sweet
OhLook, challenge #482 is yours, congratulations and good luck!
A dominant color topic description:
A topic inspired by the comment to my photo of the previous challenge.
I'm not entering the physics realm; take it just as a visual description of a given image. I'm asking for a color that has its presence enhanced by the subject or some characteristic of your photo. Shades of similar colors may work too. I'm hoping to see colors that appear naturally in the composition. Excessive color effects and 'selective color' effects are discouraged to keep the prevalent colors as natural as possible.
To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.
Post until Monday noon GMT, 28 Aptil 2014.
- Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.
- Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
- Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
- Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
- Posting --
- One photo per photographer in each challenge.
- Photo Title in the message subject line.
- Camera model.
- EXIF data, if you like.
- One photo per photographer in each challenge.
- Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
- Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
- New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
- Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
- Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
- Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.