Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sharing screen calibrator . . . . Am I wrong.

Pixel ­ Pig
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 27, 2014 11:34 |  #1

Hi folks,
I have a quick question for you all. I have just had an argument with a fellow tog in my area. He is offering to calibrate other peoples monitors for them if they take their monitors to him. He is selling this as a sort of service.

My argument was that this is not a true calibration service. If the person does not have the calibration software on the computer attached to the monitor then his calibration means nothing.

I am of course simplifying the argument as I won't go into the things that I pointed out to him. I could be wrong but this just smacks of taking advantage of people who have no idea of the colour/ screen calibration world.

Am I wrong.

Cheers.

John

sponsored links
chrisa
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 27, 2014 11:37 |  #2

When you calibrate a monitor you create a profile. Once created, the software and device need not be present on the computer. The profile should be placed in the folder with all of the other monitor profiles.

Pixel ­ Pig
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 27, 2014 14:29 as a reply to  @ chrisa's post |  #3

Yes Chrisa, you are correct and this was on the list that I discussed with him. The whole thing stinks to me tho I suppose as an entry or first exposure to screen calibration, it could be useful to some but I think that people should just buy their own especially as they are not that expensive now. From my experience in showing some hobbyists how to calibrate it came across as rocket science to them. Try explaining to some where a profile would live on the computer and it's met with complete blank and lost expressions.

They also ask questions about how often should it be done and as some read up on it first they also query the idea of ambient adjustment, which as I have just informed one of his customers queries, will not happen if they do not have the device attached.

It's not sour grapes on my part I just don't like the fact that it's making a quick buck off the unwary and not totally informing them.

John

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2014 14:40 |  #4

Your spot on when you boot your PC/MAC it has to load a color profile that is saved locally. The monitor does not save any color calibration data internally so having someone calibrate a monitor on different PC accomplishes exactly nothing from a color calibration standpoint.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

chrisa
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 27, 2014 15:12 |  #5

I used to calibrate customers monitors onsite when I worked for a commercial printing company. We offered it as a service to avoid some of the "Well it didn't look like that on our monitor" claims from unhappy and uneducated customers.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 27, 2014 18:38 |  #6

Licensing for multiple machines?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Pixel ­ Pig
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 28, 2014 03:19 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #7

Chrisa, you were doing it as an established commercial biz that I imagine had all the proper licences and insurances in place which is different from this fly by night idea and you obviously know what you are doing.

He has now taken some things onboard after another photographer pitched in.

He has now realised that he can't do it by people bringing their monitor to him as he doesn't know how to supply the profile to them . It was also suggested that he would maybe need to adjust his insurance (if he has any) for potential damage to their equipment.

The idea now is that the service will be on laptops only. I take it that this is so the software can be installed on the laptop, which in itself brings up the above mentioned software licence abuse . . . . This has been pointed out but seems to be blatantly ignored.

John

chrisa
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 28, 2014 07:31 |  #8

Yes, we had a multiple site license. I assumed that this person that you are talking about was supplying the profile and instructing the client where to place it and how to activate it. If not, he doesn't really have a clue.

Pixel ­ Pig
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 29, 2014 00:36 as a reply to  @ chrisa's post |  #9

No he doesn't have a clue and that is one of the things that annoys me. I've now washed my hands with him and will no longer offer any advice as he doesn't take any of it in good faith that you are trying to genuinely help and point out the pitfalls of his ideas.

It's the people who will go to him for any advice/service that I feel for as it will only lead to possibly more people like him portraying themselves as pro togs.

Anyway I'm done with him now.

Cheers for all the comments folks.

John

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 01, 2014 22:31 |  #10

Does the graphics card used affect the rendered colors at all? If you calibrate on one CPU, and then move the monitor to another CPU/Grafx card, is the calibration still the same?

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sharing screen calibrator . . . . Am I wrong.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.