Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2008 (Friday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Settings for wedding

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 11, 2008 06:31 |  #46

fredlef wrote in post #5700767 (external link)
CFN 03 fixes the shutter to 1/250th in AV mode.

Thanks for the tip. But since we're fixing the aperture (Av) and the shutter (CFN 03), we might as well be in Manual mode!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

sponsored links
glockamole
244 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 11, 2008 06:36 |  #47

cdifoto wrote in post #5698113 (external link)
Faster but less accurate. With a little planning of each shot or series of shots you can decide on and set your focus point. I don't think the number of events I've shot matters as much as the quality of the images I've created. Take a look at the latest thread I started & decide for yourself if my advice is worth taking. Or just click here (external link).

I was going to start using different focus points rather than recompose with the center focus point, but then I read that the center point is more accurate. How much more accurate is the center point for focusing? Is it negligible as compared to changing the focal plane when recomposing?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 11, 2008 06:46 |  #48

glockamole wrote in post #5700973 (external link)
I was going to start using different focus points rather than recompose with the center focus point, but then I read that the center point is more accurate. How much more accurate is the center point for focusing? Is it negligible as compared to changing the focal plane when recomposing?

The accuracy of the center point is rendered moot when you focus-recompose...especially at wider apertures where DOF isn't as deep. The relative accuracy of the center point to the others depends on your camera body and the lighting conditions. If you use the Speedlite or ST-E2's AF-assist beam, all your focus points covered by that beam are plenty accurate. :)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 11, 2008 07:33 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #49

With the 40D (or other non-Rebel body), it's really easy to switch the focus points QUICKLY using the joystick. Just takes some practice, but I'm able to frame the shot, pick the AF point, half-press, focus, and then take the shot quicker than the P&S of the guy next to me being shot in full-auto :)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2008 15:20 |  #50

ebann wrote in post #5700957 (external link)
we might as well be in Manual mode!

Actually, in that case you're better off in manual mode IMO ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 28, 2014 01:45 |  #51

Hi

I'm new to Wedding and Pre-Wedding Photography.

I've few questions, if anyone cab answer :

1. What Metering should be used for Candid Photography ?
2. Av Mode of Tv Mode is better for Wedding/Pre-Wedding purposes ?
3. How to avoid Shadows in case of Portraits ?
4. whether Flash is necessary for Candid Photos shoot outside and indoor ?
5. Focus Point option ?

My Current Equipment List is :

5D-Mark3 x 2, 70-200/2.8 IS2, 24-105/F4, 50/1.4, 580Ex2 Flash

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 28, 2014 01:48 |  #52

rakesh wrote in post #16866344 (external link)
Hi

5. Focus Point option ?

Regards

Rakesh

Besides reviving an ancient thread, if you need to ask these questions, you shouldn't be shooting a wedding.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 28, 2014 03:06 |  #53

Tony_Stark wrote in post #16866348 (external link)
Besides reviving an ancient thread, if you need to ask these questions, you shouldn't be shooting a wedding.

Tony

I'm primarily Wildlife Photographer but now I'm getting some Wedding Assignments hence I asked for.

In case you feel that I shouldn't opt for Wedding Photography, then it is your personal view.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 28, 2014 04:22 |  #54

Tony_Stark wrote in post #16866348 (external link)

Agreed.

Peter

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2014 05:59 |  #55

there is a difference being the primary shooter at a wedding

or being a second/assistant and not being relied upon

the OP hasnt stated which he is

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 29, 2014 07:47 |  #56

rakesh wrote in post #16866344 (external link)
Hi

5. Focus Point option ?

Regards

Rakesh

I will answer your questions, not because I am a pro...yet. I have been studying the info here and many other places for about 20-30 hours a week since January and will keep on studying/practicing. I have my first free wedding in July. A couple of second shooter jobs in August and my first solo in September. I am sure that I won't be fully prepared, even then.

1. Use whichever metering mode is producing the results you need for the light you are in.
2. This will vary by photographer. Many use manual, many use AV. Some use TV and even a few use P.
3. Control shadows by controlling the light. There are many methods for this.
4. This will depend on your lighting conditions and will be impossible to answer. You will need to understand light well to be able to know when flash is needed - if it's an option at your event.
5. I use a single focus point on the area which I want in focus. I cannot speak for anyone else.

There is a ton of info in the FAQ threads. I suggest you read them and re-read them some more. Also, this thread https://photography-on-the.net …hlight=email+re​ply&page=5 has some good points.

There are also many training videos on youtube. Google is your friend. Make notes, read books, practice, practice, practice. There is FAR more to shooting a wedding that camera settings. Best wishes to you.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 29, 2014 21:59 |  #57

dynamitetony wrote in post #16869134 (external link)
there is a difference being the primary shooter at a wedding

or being a second/assistant and not being relied upon

the OP hasnt stated which he is

I'll be one of the primary Photographer alongwith my friend.

For general Wedding Shoots, the Groom's family has hired another photographer who won't be doing Candid shots.

As far as I understand and what I studied till now, the for Candid shots, natural light is most preferred option as light source. Flash use is minimised and my purpose of entering into this arena is same to minimise the use of Flash and rely on Sun to give his light for my pictures.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :

sponsored links

42,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Settings for wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.