Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 24-70mm VS tamron 24-70mm

tomohdi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 26, 2014 11:33 |  #46

mag10 wrote in post #16861736 (external link)
Here's the same crop without any adjustments or noise reduction in LR.

QUOTED IMAGE

my shot is little more noisy . after all I'm not sure if i want to buy 24-70mm maybe i will be fine with my 24-105.i will test it and then will decide what to do.
thanks a lot for your kind support.

sponsored links
CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 27, 2014 01:16 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

I highly recommend the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM on a full-frame body for such shooting. Fast aperture, IS, and nice results at ISO 3200 are exactly what you need. I think the key here is a bit of overexposure maybe 1/3 or 1/2 EC, and ALWAYS custom WB. You will get some funny looks photographing a piece of paper, but it really helps the results. I use an 18% grey card.

clarnibass
792 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 27, 2014 03:06 |  #48

tomohdi wrote in post #16850250 (external link)
Most if time my shot has noise .if you believe 24-70 will help me please help me to choose one of these lenses: Canon 24-70mm Mark II no VC or Tamron 24-70mm with VC.

I assume that like any other person who takes photos in low or any light, the light is not always the same. So this means you use various ISOs and shutter speeds. Putting the blurrier background (at same FL) you'd get with the f/2.8 lens aside, I would consider it like this:

The f/2.8 (when used @ f/2.8) would allow you one stop lower ISO for same shutter speed. Is this one stop significant for you?
But at what shutter speed? e.g. if this is 1/30 at 40mm, then without IS it could be an issue for you (or not), so you might sometimes have to raise ISO back to compensate.
If you are taking a photo of a few people then sometones f/4 with IS can be better than f/2.8 without IS (depending on the situation).
If noise is an issue for you, in a situation whre you don't get motion or camera movement blur using e.g. 70mm, f/4, ISO 1600, 1/20 with IS, you'd need 70mm, f/2.8, ISO 800, 1/20 but without IS. This could be a problem so you'd need to raise ISO significantly, which defeats the whole point.
If you (almost) never get to shutter speeds one stop slower than where IS is helpful to you, then the f/2.8 lens could help you with noise, as long as there's no other reason you might want to use f/4.

These are all examples and things to consider for how and what you want to take photos of. The same for whether any lens is good or not. People will comment on how it works for them, but it can vary.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 27, 2014 03:19 |  #49

tomohdi wrote in post #16862907 (external link)
my shot is little more noisy . after all I'm not sure if i want to buy 24-70mm maybe i will be fine with my 24-105.i will test it and then will decide what to do.
thanks a lot for your kind support.

Glad to be of assistance - hopefully it just provides an additional data point for you to consider. I've found in photography, just like most things in life, there may be many ways to solve a problem or get the results that you want - it doesn't always require buying expensive new equipment (though buying new equipment can be more fun). It's good to look deeper into any problem/issue you're encountering and figure out what all your options are. It struck me that in your case, getting a new lens capable of f2.8 may not fully address the problem you identified. Good luck with your decision!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 27, 2014 11:43 |  #50

bikfoto wrote in post #16861578 (external link)
I'm planning to get the Tamron as well. But now doubting....

Naturally, decisions are always influenced by what you read here. If it happens to be that the people posting are the people who don't really like the Tamron, then potential buyers will obviously think twice.
But then if it happens that you catch another thread (or another time of day even) where people who like the Tamron are the majority of posters, you may just feel that you want to go for it. These POTN threads are no doubt valuable (afterall, I too read them all the time), but they represent a very little sample size and they may be biased (without any ill intentions) depending on who "shows up" to contribute to the thread :)

I do have the Tamron, I like it, it's pretty sharp, but if I had the money I'd probably buy the Canon 24-70 II. Opinions are always influenced by the financial background of the poster, but that's subjective and cannot be applied to other people's decision making process.

Just to finish up my post, our fellow member, Talley (very active contributor here) has the Tamron, loves it, but bought a Canon 24-70 II also a couple months ago. After some testing he ended up returning the Canon and keeping the Tamron.
If these are the kind of experiences that you happen to read, they obviously shape your decision towards buying the lens. But this was just one example.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

griesmonkey
230 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 28, 2014 08:58 |  #51

Would people generally consider the Tamron better than the canon V1? I'm debating on these two coming from an 18-135 STM IS on a crop body. Just looking for some better quality overall and better performance in low light situations.

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

tomohdi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 28, 2014 09:44 |  #52

clarnibass wrote in post #16864231 (external link)
I assume that like any other person who takes photos in low or any light, the light is not always the same. So this means you use various ISOs and shutter speeds. Putting the blurrier background (at same FL) you'd get with the f/2.8 lens aside, I would consider it like this:

The f/2.8 (when used @ f/2.8) would allow you one stop lower ISO for same shutter speed. Is this one stop significant for you?
But at what shutter speed? e.g. if this is 1/30 at 40mm, then without IS it could be an issue for you (or not), so you might sometimes have to raise ISO back to compensate.
If you are taking a photo of a few people then sometones f/4 with IS can be better than f/2.8 without IS (depending on the situation).
If noise is an issue for you, in a situation whre you don't get motion or camera movement blur using e.g. 70mm, f/4, ISO 1600, 1/20 with IS, you'd need 70mm, f/2.8, ISO 800, 1/20 but without IS. This could be a problem so you'd need to raise ISO significantly, which defeats the whole point.
If you (almost) never get to shutter speeds one stop slower than where IS is helpful to you, then the f/2.8 lens could help you with noise, as long as there's no other reason you might want to use f/4.

These are all examples and things to consider for how and what you want to take photos of. The same for whether any lens is good or not. People will comment on how it works for them, but it can vary.

thank you , thais very good point of view.when i answer to your questions i believe IS not make a big difference in low light if i shooting family.but having IS on your lens is a advantage for different situations. i think with my 16-35mm on 35mm i can manage the shot to be come less noise and sharp. i will give a try tonight.
thanks for info.

tomohdi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 28, 2014 09:46 |  #53

mag10 wrote in post #16864241 (external link)
Glad to be of assistance - hopefully it just provides an additional data point for you to consider. I've found in photography, just like most things in life, there may be many ways to solve a problem or get the results that you want - it doesn't always require buying expensive new equipment (though buying new equipment can be more fun). It's good to look deeper into any problem/issue you're encountering and figure out what all your options are. It struck me that in your case, getting a new lens capable of f2.8 may not fully address the problem you identified. Good luck with your decision!

I'm agree with you and appreciate your kind help.

tancanon58
965 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 28, 2014 10:03 |  #54

dave_bass5 wrote in post #16853044 (external link)
Why get a 5DMKIII then?

Not criticising,just asking based on your comment about not being a pro and not spending money.
The Tamron is hardly a cheap lens anyway. I do agree, the Canon isn't needed by a lot of people, but it's a rock solid performer that won't let you down if you are a pro, or just need a faster, more reliable lens.

I owned Nikon D700, Canon 5DMk2 and lot of Nikon and Canon lenses before. To be honest this hobby had burned my wallet but still love Canon Full Frame and have tried to fulfill my liking of taking amazing pictures with full frame body so I have decided to cut down by using 3rd party lens even though I denied buying them. And I did try Tamron 24-70 for awhile then decide to keep and sold 24-70 mk1. Again I am not a pro but using 5D3. People think it is little weird but it is just me!!!

Bodies: 5D MkIII/ Oly ED-M5/ G10
Lenses: Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC /and some Panny and Oly lenses.
Flash: Canon600EX RT.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 28, 2014 10:10 |  #55

gabebalazs wrote in post #16864857 (external link)
Naturally, decisions are always influenced by what you read here. If it happens to be that the people posting are the people who don't really like the Tamron, then potential buyers will obviously think twice.
But then if it happens that you catch another thread (or another time of day even) where people who like the Tamron are the majority of posters, you may just feel that you want to go for it. These POTN threads are no doubt valuable (afterall, I too read them all the time), but they represent a very little sample size and they may be biased (without any ill intentions) depending on who "shows up" to contribute to the thread :)

I do have the Tamron, I like it, it's pretty sharp, but if I had the money I'd probably buy the Canon 24-70 II. Opinions are always influenced by the financial background of the poster, but that's subjective and cannot be applied to other people's decision making process.

Just to finish up my post, our fellow member, Talley (very active contributor here) has the Tamron, loves it, but bought a Canon 24-70 II also a couple months ago. After some testing he ended up returning the Canon and keeping the Tamron.
If these are the kind of experiences that you happen to read, they obviously shape your decision towards buying the lens. But this was just one example.

Yup. Love my Tamron. Loved my Tamron 70-200 but the range doesn't fit my needs so I got rid of it for the sig 120-300.

I don't always use the 24-70 but I refuse to give up a short zoom. This was another factor for me. Not worth keeping a $1800 lens that doesn't get used much. and it doesn't allow for 1/10 @ 70mm shots :)

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 28, 2014 12:55 |  #56

griesmonkey wrote in post #16866821 (external link)
Would people generally consider the Tamron better than the canon V1? I'm debating on these two coming from an 18-135 STM IS on a crop body. Just looking for some better quality overall and better performance in low light situations.

The Tarmon is a marginally better than the Canon version one. Bad new is, based on the sample testing I've seen, the best performing Canon version 1 is only as good as the worst performing version 2.

I personally had lots of hope for the Tamron 24-70 since it was priced so well, but it just didn't perform as well as I wanted. The extra $1000 was well worth it...my keeper rate is really high, which is important when doing paid work.

I do have the Tamron 150-600 and I'm totally happy with it....

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 07, 2014 01:46 |  #57

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16852510 (external link)
I had the Tamron, and returned it the next day.. No way sharp enough for me... Even after much microadjustment.. so its either the 24-70 mk2 or the 35mm 2.0 IS

WELL !!! I brought the Canon mk2 yesterday and the very first shot was better than all of the Tamron shots I took in the short time of owning it. The mk2 is outstanding !!!!!!!!

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links

8,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 24-70mm VS tamron 24-70mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.