Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Sep 2009 (Friday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is a Photography Degree Worth It?

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2014 10:10 |  #46

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16849917 (external link)
That's the beautiful thing about getting a formal education from an accredited program. I had to take chemistry, physics, algebra, art history, history of photography, not to mention all of those photography classes as well as business/marketing....

I see things haven't changed much, our program requires all those classes as well. I've come to love any Art form more and more after taking Art History classes, etc.
My color theory class was the last class taught in a non-digital manner, so some things are changing. (BTW, I was glad to take it when it was taught the traditional way with mixing paint, it was fun!)
We do still have a film class, I loved that class and if I could I'd take it again :cool: (the assignments were pretty loose other classes are more specific in what the assignments require).
The networking one can do at school is excellent, most graduates keep in touch with our teacher and he brings them in, or we go visit and they talk about their work etc.. Also that's how I got into Assisting, (and some of my friend's too) lots of Graduates have contacted our teacher and asked for Assistants.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

sponsored links
Bilderknipser
889 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Apr 22, 2014 10:15 |  #47

yogestee wrote in post #16850131 (external link)
During the course there was a huge drop out rate. From the 130 or so students who began in my cohort, around 40 finished year four.
In the first year, one of our teachers told us we were only industry fodder. That was like throwing down the gauntlet.

You can see lots of that today still, from my first photo class I'm the last student still at the school :(. The same beginning class started with 27 students last semester, 6 finished it :confused: (that certainly made the rounds at school)..

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 22, 2014 19:38 |  #48

How times have changed.

With an art degree these days your only options are to become a barista or work some other minimum wage job where your closing line is "would you like fries with that"?

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 22, 2014 21:07 |  #49

Kanye wrote in post #16854042 (external link)
How times have changed.

With an art degree these days your only options are to become a barista or work some other minimum wage job where your closing line is "would you like fries with that"?

Somethings change, somethings stay the same. The course I did is still available and still very selective. I attended the Sydney Institute of Technology which changed to the Sydney University of Technology a few years back, far from an art school.

The course is still taught as a science as opposed to an arts course. Most students who do this course work in the industry even before admittance. The course is highly selective. One has to submit a portfolio and attend an interview. The interviewer actually tries to talk you out of attending by giving examples to how difficult (and it is) the course really is.. He'll recommend you attend East Sydney Technical College if you want just an arts diploma.

Kayne,, I think you are missing one vital point. The purpose of doing any course isn't always about making money or gaining employment at the end of the course. Sometimes doing a course is about the knowledge, the enjoyment and the experience.

I'll be retiring early in a few years. I'm planning on going back to school. I'm thinking about doing a writing course, possibly something to do with travel writing.

Both my parents have done TAFE (look it up) courses just for the enjoyment and knowledge, and have never worked in that field of study.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

VosAmour
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2014 13:14 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
madjack
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2014 13:40 |  #51

VosAmour wrote in post #16855768 (external link)
nope it is not, a photo degree is a nice waste of money/time. Get a real trade - electrician,plumber etc.

I don't understand how anything that gives you more knowledge than you already had could be a waste of time.

www.pva.org (external link)

VosAmour
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2014 17:11 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
madjack
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2014 18:39 |  #53

VosAmour wrote in post #16856313 (external link)
more knowledge wont get you work when it comes to PHOTOGRAPHY.

this is the advice i give out to anyone who is young who wants to become an ARTIST(and pay for art school/degree)- DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Get a TRADE and do the ART as a HOBBY. For 97% of people a HOBBY does not put food on the table and pay for living. A TRADE will. And if the HOBBY takes off ... its a bonus.

I see this all the time, everyone wants to be an artist, and they starve and they realize they just ****ed up and get a proper education. And hope that by that time its not to late and they wont be replaced by someone who is younger and has the skill.

Just sayin'

I was just commenting on learning something as being a waste of time.

I have studied a lot of things for the sake of learning, without a monetary interest.

www.pva.org (external link)

VosAmour
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2014 19:40 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 23, 2014 20:02 |  #55

I would never spend money or time majoring in the arts because people do this simply because they enjoy doing so. If you want to justify the money you spend then major in business and minor in the arts and photography.

No learning is a waste of time, but justifying the cost in both time and money has some learning a better investment than others.

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 24, 2014 14:34 |  #56

Get a photography degree if you have aspirations to teach photography on the college level.

If you're serious about photography to make a living, get a business and/or marketing degree first, practice photography on the side. Learn how to run the business of photography (and come up with a business plan), learn how to market yourself for jobs and gigs in photography. Network, network, network!

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 28, 2014 14:23 |  #57

yogestee wrote in post #16854237 (external link)
Kayne,, I think you are missing one vital point. The purpose of doing any course isn't always about making money or gaining employment at the end of the course. Sometimes doing a course is about the knowledge, the enjoyment and the experience.

Not if you acquire debt for it. Since most schools in the U.S. stick you with a big bill that often takes decades to pay off.

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 28, 2014 18:44 |  #58

I feel even if you end up going into other jobs having a degree is still going to help you out in life. So I would say go for it if it is something that you enjoy.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2014 21:31 |  #59

Kanye wrote in post #16867549 (external link)
Not if you acquire debt for it. Since most schools in the U.S. stick you with a big bill that often takes decades to pay off.

Things are a bit different in Australia. We don't accrue huge education debts like you do in the US, and our student loans system is much easier on the pocket.

I did my course from 1986 to 1990, around $400 per semester . I was also able to claim that back on tax as it was a expense related to employment. I started working for a newspaper in April 1990. The newspaper reimbursed me for my studies for that year. Before that I was self employed.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ShadowKingpin
112 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 11, 2014 20:53 |  #60

Coming from somebody who went to school for it--no. It's beyond worthless to have. You are way better off teaching yourself and saving yourself the 20+ years of debt.

sponsored links

12,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is a Photography Degree Worth It?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.