Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2014 (Monday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40mm for scenery

gjleighton
32 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 28, 2014 15:43 |  #1

I am wondering what folks think about using the 40mm pancake lens for shooting outdoor scenery type photos. I bought the SL1 and the 40mm because it seems a viable option for carrying a high quality camera and lens backpacking. Typically I have left my DSLR at home and take smaller point an shoots. Never happy with the pics. Now i am kinda second guessing myself. I have not had a chance to use it in the mountains on a hike. Any feedback as to whether i am at least in the ballpark as far as using lens this for this type photos. Wondering if I am setting myself up to be disappointed. the other option that i had it narrowed down to was the G16. any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. thanks

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,200 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 28, 2014 16:16 |  #2

Heya,

Works fine. So long as you like the angle of view, it doesn't matter what lens you're using. 40mm on a crop is a little tight for scenery maybe, but so long as you're able to make it work, from a bit of a distance, then you're good. If you're doing tighter scenery anyways, then it definitely works. I like the pancake for walk around. An SL1 with 40mm F2.8 pancake for walkaround is great, I love it over using P&S. P&S's can't do what F2.8 looks like. And my pancake lives at F2.8.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 28, 2014 17:03 |  #3

I suppose you could shoot 3 vertical shots and stitch them together in post. I have not tried that hand held, but it might work if you need a wide shot.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 28, 2014 17:05 |  #4

On this forum (and elsewhere) as soon as someone says scenery it is assumed that they want a WA or UWA lens. Actually one can shoot scenery with any lens. Gene

GEAR LIST

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2014 17:10 |  #5

gasrocks wrote in post #16867918 (external link)
On this forum (and elsewhere) as soon as someone says scenery it is assumed that they want a WA or UWA lens. Actually one can shoot scenery with any lens. Gene

Word.
Like suggested you can stitch shots together. Even 2 shots stitched together will give you a much wider FOV. Of course, Samyang makes very inexpensive wide angle lenses that won't add much size, weight, or cost. Set the ap to something pretty small and everything will be in focus. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

speedync
Goldmember
1,408 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 28, 2014 19:27 |  #6

Here's something to think about. You can buy the EOS M with 22mm pancake cheaper than a wider lens for the dslr. Like a 24mm f/2.8. Add the adapter to the M, & you have the best of both worlds.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2014 20:22 |  #7

gasrocks wrote in post #16867918 (external link)

This just about sums it up.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

spiderm0nkey
62 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 28, 2014 22:25 |  #8

I love the 40mm for landscapes! It's sharp, lightweight and the image quality is stunning. If I can't fit all of the scene in by standing back a bit, I take several photos and stitch them together in post. This method has never failed me.

Here's an example. This is 3 shots stitched together.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …0363695_o_zps1e​ea1cf1.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D Mk 2 + Grip | 40 F/2.8 | 17-40 F/4 L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Apr 28, 2014 23:31 |  #9

^^ bad a$$

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 29, 2014 03:14 |  #10

I used to have a Canon 60D with the EF 40 STM and the EF 28 IS USM lenses.
I found the 40mm, was nice and small, but too "zoomed in", the 28mm was a bigger lens, but gave a more "normal" view. I tended to use the 28 more than the 40.
Like you I found the whole DSLR stuff just too bulky to take out and about (particularly hill walking).
I considered changing the 60D for the SL1, due to it being smaller and lighter.
When I compared them in the shop there wasn't much in it and as soon as you put a lens (other than the 40mm) on the SL1 it gets bulky again.

Before the 60D I had a Canon G12, but was never happy with the images.

So.. I decided to jump ship and try the Fuji X-series.
I bought a Fuji XE1 and a few lenses.
It's far lighter, and far less bulky.
The image quality from the Fuji is actually just as good as, if not better than, the Canon 60D.

In the end I sold all my DSLR stuff and now just use the Fuji.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,761 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2014 08:34 |  #11

I'm another vote for "as long as you like the FoV, the 40 pancake is a great little lens."

If you want something in the same size category (tiny) but a little wider, you could always pick up some MF glass and an adapter. You can pick up an Olympus OM 28/3.5 for $35-50 bucks and an inexpensive adapter for less than $15. You would need to be/get comfortable with manual focus and aperture control, but it's not like the scenery is going anywhere so it's not too big of a deal.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Scud49
203 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 29, 2014 09:49 as a reply to  @ WhyFi's post |  #12

SpiderMonkey - just wanted to comment on your shot above - that's just terrfic- very nice work!

Canon 5DS-R
Canon 24-70MM II
Canon 180MM f/3.5 Macro
Canon 100-400MM IS II
Canon 500MM f/4 IS II

spiderm0nkey
62 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 29, 2014 21:32 |  #13

Thank you! The 40 is a brilliant lens, especially on full frame. I have contemplated selling it several times since I already have the 17-40 L however I don't have anywhere near as much fun shooting with the 17-40 as I do with the pancake. I can't rave enough about how cool this little lens is :)

Canon 5D Mk 2 + Grip | 40 F/2.8 | 17-40 F/4 L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,048 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2014 22:19 |  #14

you can take a landscape shot with any lens...personally though, i'd rather backpack with something wider/and longer than just the 40mm on a crop camera

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 30, 2014 01:14 |  #15

I did not like the FOV on the 40 stm on crop (64mm) but I do like it on Full Frame.
I would recommend the 24L on crop (38mm) and it works great on FF too. :D

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

2,116 views & 0 likes for this thread
40mm for scenery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.