Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2014 (Monday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next

Shooting in the rain with a car + girl

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 28, 2014 16:40 |  #1

I was contacted by a girl to do a car-shoot with her boyfriend's car. It has been raining, and I want to do a shoot with her on the car in the rain.

Have you guys done this? Do you have any tips? How do you bring your camera gear out? Do you use an umbrella? :) How do you protect your equipment from water?

How should I light it? Due to the rain, i would just use my speedlite.

My equipment are:
5D3, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L ii, 16-35L, 580EXii x2

Most of these are lightly weather sealed, but I dont want to ruin my equipment.

I might be able to find shelter in a place under a building, and shoot the car in the rain.

How do I light it to get the rain falling effect?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

tandemhearts
582 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 28, 2014 16:51 |  #2

Water should be back lit to be visible. It doesn't have to be falling on the subject to give the impression that it is.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 28, 2014 19:08 |  #3

tandemhearts wrote in post #16867898 (external link)
Water should be back lit to be visible. It doesn't have to be falling on the subject to give the impression that it is.

Is it usually done simulated? That is, not in actual rain?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

tandemhearts
582 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 28, 2014 21:10 |  #4

Real water - from a hose if needed, but not necessarily on the subject. Models don't always want to get wet.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=n6DD8xphzWw (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2014 10:44 |  #5

Optech rainsleeve for your camera, maybe an umbrella on a light stand to cover most of it. Or, strap an umbrella to a backpack frame - you'll look like an Inspector Gadget dorkus, but you'll be free to move around the shoot area while staying mostly dry.
Plastic bags over your Speedlights. Big Ziplock baggies, or maybe even clear wastebasket liners.

Cheapo modifiers, if any. They won't melt in the rain, I promise.
I had to wash one of my cheap PBL brolly boxes after the cat took a pee on it. It held up just fine to a vigorous wash in the bathtub. Though, I didn't let it dry fully before putting it away, so it mildewed a little. I should have let it dry for several days before closing it up.

If you use modifiers, put heavy sandbags on your light stands. Where there's rain, there's probably a breeze. Put the sandbags into heavy garbage bags to keep them dry. The light stands are metal; they'll be fine in the rain, just let them dry thoroughly before folding them away.

Backlight the raindrops to get them to light up and freeze in space.

Here's one of my favorite shots of my wife; it's not quite what you're looking for (we were doing a promo shoot for a Halloween show), but you can see the effect of the backlighting on the rain. This is two bare Speedlights on tall stands behind her; refer to the shadows on the ground for cues as to their exact position.
http://www.avidchick.n​et …2-moxie_20120819_1904.jp​g (external link)

Shooting in a downpour is one of the items on my bucket list for 2014.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2014 11:40 |  #6

nathancarter wrote in post #16869660 (external link)
Shooting in a downpour is one of the items on my bucket list for 2014.

So, its actually possible to shoot in a downpour? According to the previous responses, I had resolved that I would 'simulate' rain, rather than actually do it in the rain.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2014 14:16 |  #7

Sure, it's possible, with some luck.

You can't control real rain, but you CAN control simulated rain. If it's not raining outside, and your model is standing there getting bored, ... well, that's not a very good shoot.

Fortunately, around here (central Florida) it's relatively easy to predict rain, especially when a midsummer tropical storm blows through.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tandemhearts
582 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 29, 2014 14:21 |  #8

I didn't say you couldn't, but I know my wife would not be a willing participant. :)

In sunny NorCal, we won't see rain for 6 months, so I'd have to fake it.

BestGamingPcReview
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2014

May 26, 2014 07:21 |  #9

Maybe you need someone to help cover you with umbrella from the rain so you can easily take the shoot.
or simulate rain will be better

http://bestgamingpcrev​iew.com/ (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,628 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2014 14:06 |  #10

I love shooting in the rain. Cover your lights with white plastic garbage bags, protect your camera and go to town.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …%20wedding/barn​es-712.jpg (external link)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ggibbs1971
316 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 01, 2015 10:45 |  #11

I tried shooting in the rain. It was miserable, living in Fl we are getting soaked.

Geoff
40D, 5D, 50/1.8, 100/2, 300/f4, 17-35/2.8-4, 28-70/2.8, 70-300 IS, 580EX, 680, 3001N, Nova 5, Rezo 170, Edit 140, & Slingshot 100Aw.

6,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting in the rain with a car + girl
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.