Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 08 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soft focus. Why?

bdaniels72
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 08, 2014 01:32 |  #1

]I am fairly new to the photography scene. I shoot my kids sports. I often get pictures that seem to have a soft focus, maybe a glow. What am I doing wrong? Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Images can be seen here:
https://plus.google.co​m …lbums/599979864​6019275537 (external link)
Thanks in advance.

Canon 60D 70-200 2.8 1.4x

sponsored links
canons900
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 08, 2014 08:00 |  #2

If you post a select few here on the website instead of linking to multiple photos, you will get more feedback.

There are too many on the webpage to even begin to look at what you are describing.

bseitz234
497 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 08, 2014 09:38 |  #3

Plus, I can't find any exif on those, even if people do follow your link. What aperture were you shooting at? What was your shutter speed? What focus mode were you using? Those are all things we need to know before being able to help.

-Brian
5 EOS bodies, and constantly growing lens selection.
IG @bseitz234

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 08, 2014 09:58 |  #4

When I clicked on the photos from the gallery, they opened individually with the the exif data. I downloaded some of the blurry ones and DPP showed the AF point way off the subject.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 08, 2014 12:03 |  #5

Dave3222 wrote in post #16818646 (external link)
I downloaded some of the blurry ones and DPP showed the AF point way off the subject.

Aside from missed focus, are you using a filter?

And which 1.4x teleconverter are you using?

Joel

bdaniels72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 09, 2014 00:48 |  #6

I tried to attach some last night but couldn't figure it out must have been past my bed time, but I got it.
No I am not using any type of filter.
It is the Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Dave you are correct I did miss focus on some of those.

So here is a couple of examples.
1)

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LdrTyhZuWLg/U0OUGtukjaI/AAAAAAAAMA0/hTPJQOu9Yuc/w566-h849-no/IMG_5881.JPG
2)
IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WJs_S1ATdZE/U0OU9eoa2zI/AAAAAAAAMD4/w3xtsZgqa7g/w958-h639-no/IMG_5995.JPG

Their faces seem kind of soft to me.
Shooting at F4 tried to keep SS around 800-1250.
Using AI servo focus.
Evaluative Metering.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 09, 2014 04:09 |  #7

bdaniels72 wrote in post #16820591 (external link)
I tried to attach some last night but couldn't figure it out must have been past my bed time, but I got it.
No I am not using any type of filter.
It is the Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Dave you are correct I did miss focus on some of those.

So here is a couple of examples.

Their faces seem kind of soft to me.
Shooting at F4 tried to keep SS around 800-1250.
Using AI servo focus.
Evaluative Metering.

yes, those are definitely soft, not sharp but others in your set are sharp however it's hard to tell if it's because of the teleconverter or something else

I shoot lacrosse with a 60D and 100-400 usually at f5.6 with shutter speeds of 1/1600, some images here
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cnu_sports (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 09, 2014 07:49 |  #8

if you shoot with a teleconverter wide open your images usually will look a little soft from my experience. if you stop your lens down even 1 stop you get that sharpness back

i learned this while shooting soccer with a EF 70-200 mkii + EF 1.4X mkii

bdaniels72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 09, 2014 23:14 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #9

Perfect. Thanks for all the feedback. I will work on that for the next game. Not until next Thursday :(

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2014 10:51 |  #10

What camera and does it have the microfocus adjustment feature? If so, play with it. Look at the images above and zoom in on grass to see if blades in front or behind feet are more in focus to see if camera is perhaps front focusing or back focusing. Then adjust. I have to have the feature set to +10 with my 70-200 and it dialed it in perfectly on my 1D MkIV

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 13, 2014 12:12 |  #11

cstewart wrote in post #16823725 (external link)
does it have the microfocus adjustment feature? If so, play with it.

"Play with it" really is just about the very worst advice relating to AFMA that you can give - do it properly or not at all.

To the OP - full image Exif really is necessary when troubleshooting "soft" images. I'm not convinced that these are soft so much as sharp where the AF point locked on (assuming centre AF point).

bdaniels72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 13, 2014 21:04 |  #12

here is a link to one of the images on Google+.
https://lh6.googleuser​content.com …w958-h639-no/IMG_5995.JPG (external link)

Will this give you the Exif?
If not what is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

bdaniels72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 26, 2014 02:13 |  #13

Thank you guys so much for your patience and instruction.
I feel like my photos from this week were much improved and i owe it all to your tips.
Still have a long way to go.
Here is a link to one of the pics I was able to get. https://lh5.googleuser​content.com …w566-h849-no/IMG_6426.JPG (external link)

Thanks again. :)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 29, 2014 20:40 |  #14

The glow is usually from the lens stacked with the 1.4 TC. You will néed to choose between cropping into your photo without the TC or use the TC and apply a bit of sharpening in post production. The motion blue I see in the player foot tells me that your shutter speed is a bit slow and you might be suffering a bit of camera shake or not perfectly tracking the intended subject.
To be sure players are properly in focus I look at the grass by their feet to see if the grass is focused. That will indicate where the plane of focus is in the entire image.
What software are you using in your production workflow?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

sponsored links

3,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soft focus. Why?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.