Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 30, 2014 00:58 |  #316

snake0ape wrote in post #16871509 (external link)
Thank Helen,

I paid with paypal. It paid B & H at 12:36AM. B & H has my cash. Instead of getting a lens on the first batch, I get a backorder letter rather than a lens. Darn system, why would CC be faster?

I couldn't tell you what their systems are like - but I'd be surprised if it's different from Adorama - we don't get payments transferred from PayPal to our account until an item actually ships. CCs just process faster than PP - no clue why.

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 30, 2014 01:00 |  #317

Raymond Lin wrote in post #16871594 (external link)
I did pay with CC.

There it is....CC trumps PP!

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2014 01:10 |  #318

HelenOster wrote in post #16871596 (external link)
I couldn't tell you what their systems are like - but I'd be surprised if it's different from Adorama - we don't get payments transferred from PayPal to our account until an item actually ships. CCs just process faster than PP - no clue why.

B & H policy seems to be different. My PayPal money was instantly transferred to B and H. So they have my money since the time I ordered.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

Raymond ­ Lin
458 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 30, 2014 03:24 |  #319

After a bit of research this is what I've found out, as I suspected as at work (I work in the day in a law firm) we regularly transfer funds from one side to another, such as a court settlement, in our instances a normal BACs transfer is 3 days (usually 2 days in reality), it can be done same day but they costs an administrative fee. In a home banking capacity, my experience is that if it is a transfer of funds between different banks, it can take up to 24 hours for it to appear in my account, such as when client pay me for photography invoices and they send it online direct banking transfer. If we bank in the same bank, it can be quick, otherwise, it normally appear later that night when I get home.

Anyway. From google.

All inter bank transactions are held through RBI.

1. The senders bank will send the details to RBI on regular intervals. I think, twice in a day.
2. RBI forward that details to receivers bank on regular intervals.
3. The receiver bank then check the validity and formalities.
4. Send the acknowledgement to RBI.
5. Send the details to senders bank and get the money.
6. RBI Send the money to the Receivers bank

All these will be done on bank working hours only.

So if you ordered outside banking hours via Paypal, like 4am then it won't get processed until 9am, which could be way down the list after all those CC payments had gone through.

MysticFalcon
227 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 30, 2014 05:04 |  #320

If only Adorama had put up their pre-order when B&H did. I saw the B&H one as soon as it went up but I waited and watched Adorama because I have always had better service there but I wasn't ready as soon as theirs went up so I am further down the list.
If only I was better at being patient.

Made the Fuji Switch
X-T2 | X-T20 | 18-55 | 55-140 | 100-400 | 8mm FE | 23mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | 56mm 1.2
www.NEKPics.com (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2014 05:52 |  #321

I paid cc....... I coulda swore I was like 2nd or 3rd as far as order time when it was being discussed.

Thanks Helen for all the info!

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2014 07:57 |  #322

Raymond Lin wrote in post #16871720 (external link)
After a bit of research this is what I've found out, as I suspected as at work (I work in the day in a law firm) we regularly transfer funds from one side to another, such as a court settlement, in our instances a normal BACs transfer is 3 days (usually 2 days in reality), it can be done same day but they costs an administrative fee. In a home banking capacity, my experience is that if it is a transfer of funds between different banks, it can take up to 24 hours for it to appear in my account, such as when client pay me for photography invoices and they send it online direct banking transfer. If we bank in the same bank, it can be quick, otherwise, it normally appear later that night when I get home.

Anyway. From google.

So if you ordered outside banking hours via Paypal, like 4am then it won't get processed until 9am, which could be way down the list after all those CC payments had gone through.

Technically yes. But from the seller and buyers perspective, it is instant. Here is what I gathered from the internet regarding --
PayPal instant transfer.
" Instant bank transfer is not actualy instant at all as the name suggests. The way it works is: paypal credits the sellers paypal account instantly, with a temporary 'loan' which is provided to you. They recover this 'loan' by debiting your bank account, and this can take 3-5 days to reflect at your banks end. If your bank account has insufficient funds, paypal will try again (which may incurr dishonour fees for you from your bank), and if that fails, they will charge the ammount to your 'back up funding source' which will normaly be your credit card. If your back up funding source has insufficient funds paypal will show a negative ballance in your paypal account, and may restrict your account. If you do not have a back up funding source, paypal will not allow an instant bank transferr and instead will offer an eCheque option.
Again, even once the sellers paypal account has been credited, it will still take 3-7 days for those funds to be withdrawn to the sellers bank account."

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 30, 2014 08:00 |  #323

snake0ape wrote in post #16872018 (external link)
Technically yes. But from the seller and buyers perspective, it is instant. Here is what I gathered from the internet regarding --
PayPal instant transfer.
" Instant bank transfer is not actualy instant at all as the name suggests. The way it works is: paypal credits the sellers paypal account instantly, with a temporary 'loan' which is provided to you. They recover this 'loan' by debiting your bank account, and this can take 3-5 days to reflect at your banks end. If your bank account has insufficient funds, paypal will try again (which may incurr dishonour fees for you from your bank), and if that fails, they will charge the ammount to your 'back up funding source' which will normaly be your credit card. If your back up funding source has insufficient funds paypal will show a negative ballance in your paypal account, and may restrict your account. If you do not have a back up funding source, paypal will not allow an instant bank transferr and instead will offer an eCheque option.
Again, even once the sellers paypal account has been credited, it will still take 3-7 days for those funds to be withdrawn to the sellers bank account."

So although technically it appears to have been transferred to us, we can't actually access it until the goods have shipped. I guess this is how PP offers an additional layer of protection to buyers.

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2014 08:14 |  #324

Or an additional few days of interest!

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2014 08:15 |  #325

HelenOster wrote in post #16872027 (external link)
So although technically it appears to have been transferred to us, we can't actually access it until the goods have shipped. I guess this is how PP offers an additional layer of protection to buyers.

That is interesting. On my side, my bank account shows -949.00 dollars.

Anyways, I spoke to B & H, and they say that they ship by whomever orders first and not by payment received.

mtavel
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2014 08:40 |  #326

snake0ape wrote in post #16872045 (external link)
Anyways, I spoke to B & H, and they say that they ship by whomever orders first and not by payment received.

I've been involved in call centers for a while and it sounds to me like a phone agent was trying to avoid a complicated conversation with you (that they may not have fully understood anyway).

I would take Helen's guidance over a phone agent's guidance, but that's my opinion. Phone agents don't always know the intricacies of how businesses work and have to get to the next caller.

Tavel Photography (external link)

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 30, 2014 10:22 |  #327

I definitely must be missing something. Adorama (great tutorials by the way) still has it listed as "available for pre order now! Estimated ship date Late April 2014"

I haven't received any sort of shipped notification etc.

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 30, 2014 10:27 |  #328

samefly wrote in post #16872338 (external link)
I definitely must be missing something. Adorama (great tutorials by the way) still has it listed as "available for pre order now! Estimated ship date Late April 2014"

I haven't received any sort of shipped notification etc.

It's still April.....you see, this is the problem with putting up an ETA! Someone in the purchasing department has to remember to change the dates if the goods don't materialise.......;) Thanks for the heads up, anyway; I shall get onto them to addresss it.

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 30, 2014 15:14 |  #329

I pre-ordered after passover, so no telling how far down the pre-order list I am. So I haven't gotten any emails yet from B&H.

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 30, 2014 16:20 |  #330

HelenOster wrote in post #16872353 (external link)
It's still April.....you see, this is the problem with putting up an ETA! Someone in the purchasing department has to remember to change the dates if the goods don't materialise.......;) Thanks for the heads up, anyway; I shall get onto them to addresss it.

Hahaha true. Damn, out of stock already :cry: maybe I'll be a part of the next go around. Have a lot of stuff coming soon. Hopefully it won't be too long :-(

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

186,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.