Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing question

jgood122
263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 29, 2014 14:50 |  #1

So I would like to outsource my printing as i do not wanna by a printer. I tried wal-mart and the pictures come out horribly compared to what was sent in. Any suggestions of a good company to have print? I dont have many to print right now so im not sure if shutterfly or something like that would work. Another part of my question is, when i send the pics in to get printed do i adjust the exposure by 1 stop or half a stop?

Jason
Canon T3i, Nifty Fifty, 18-55mm kit lens, 24-105mm f/4L, Tamron 70-300mm, 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Rokinon 14mm
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2014 18:01 |  #2

Well, first off, as to local "chain" print suppliers here in the US, Costco has from what I see the best reputation, and if you have one nearby, you can upload a pic online and order it and then pick it up the same day.

of course there are also numerous online print providers, I can't give you a specific recommendation, but others will chime in. One outfit, AdoramaPix, has an excellent customer service rep who shows up here, Helen Oster.

As to how to process for printing, well, I'd say it's up to you, there are some "variables" to consider, for instance, how much skill, confidence, "preparedness" do you have in your images and in your post-processing? Do you have a "color-managed workflow" and a good monitor for displaying your images and your work? If all this is a "strange" language to you, well, I'd take some time to "read up", there are a couple "stickies" in this sub-forum dealing with color management and color "problems", check them out...

As to the actual process of preparing for prints, well, the "color-managed workflow" would have you processing in "proper" color-managed software and then you can download "profiles" from your print provider that matches their printer/paper/ink use and then using that profile in your software you can "Soft Proof, "eyeball" and make little tweaks to your taste, then send the high quality file in. You should specify to your provider, "no automatic color correction"!

If, though, you are new to this whole "color-managed workflow" thing, well, my advice would be to start with a good recommended lab and do a bit at a time, get some small prints both with and without the "color correction" turned on, view them in good light, comparing them to what you see on-screen, and decide how to proceed from there!

Prints can in the beginning be a "challenge", but they can be worth it, especially once you make the "leap" and get some nice big prints that are suitable for framing and hanging on the walls

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 30, 2014 10:59 |  #3

I usually use Costco, and even with my calibrated monitor, I usually still go up 1/2 stop in exposure.
You'll need to experiment.

swondra
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 03, 2014 15:23 as a reply to  @ Merlin_AZ's post |  #4

I am in love with Mpix.com!

AND their Fuji "metallic" paper!

I have used them all... issues with most... mpix has NEVER disappointed me! And once I printed on that Fuji Pearl paper, Ive never gotten anything else!!!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 04, 2014 04:44 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #16870830 (external link)
As to how to process for printing, well, I'd say it's up to you, there are some "variables" to consider, for instance, how much skill, confidence, "preparedness" do you have in your images and in your post-processing? Do you have a "color-managed workflow" and a good monitor for displaying your images and your work? If all this is a "strange" language to you, well, I'd take some time to "read up", there are a couple "stickies" in this sub-forum dealing with color management and color "problems", check them out...

Probably the root of the problem lies right here. If you are not using a colour managed workflow then its a complete gamble what you get back from the printer.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 04, 2014 10:34 |  #6

There are a ton of great print labs around. Bay Photo, WHCC, Nations Photo, Pro DPI just to name a few. Look for one close to you to save on shipping charges.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

sponsored links

824 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.