Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 03:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD - YAY or NAY

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 30, 2014 17:08 |  #16

I am impressed with all the shots !!!!

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2014 23:07 |  #17

To the OP: Check out the Lens Sample Photo Archive for the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX OS and look for Gabebalazs photos. He uses it with a 2x TC shoots at 600mm quite a lot. His photos are sharper than the Tammy. He initially purchased one when they first became available. Tried it for a couple of weeks and sent it back. He was much happier with his Sigma & TC. However, it could be his copy of the Tamron was not a good one. His photos are fantastic non the less.

With that said, I have had the Tamron since about middle of February and am very happy with my copy. I use it with the 60D. It has it's faults but understanding its limitations and the need to keep the shutter speed up helps. Not near as easy to use as my 100-400, but when you need 600 it's the best bang for the buck.

Jim
Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 30, 2014 23:14 |  #18

Heya,

Why are we comparing a $3.5k lens with a TC ($hundreds) to a $1k lens?

Completely different lenses. Completely different costs.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2014 23:19 |  #19

MalVeaux, to answer your question, read the very first post from the OP. He wanted to know, so I told him. Just reporting the facts, not comparing dollars to dollars.

Jim
Gear List

sanil
658 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2014 23:22 |  #20

more than anything else tamron is very handy to carry..... so far i have not used it on a tripod. even after 4 hr shooting...you dont feel the strain.

It takes a lot of skill to track birds in flight..

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/anilsarvepalli​/ (external link)

cengell
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 30, 2014 23:33 |  #21

Good news, Tamron 150-600 Nikon & Canon should be shipping around May 10, I was told by the Tamron rep that they will have a small batch for Nikon and a bit more of the Canon mounts to ship.

I hope everyone get 1 they have had on order for awhile, I can't wait for 1 for my Canon.

Christopher

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 30, 2014 23:46 |  #22

jbrackjr wrote in post #16874007 (external link)
MalVeaux, to answer your question, read the very first post from the OP. He wanted to know, so I told him. Just reporting the facts, not comparing dollars to dollars.

No worries, wasn't trying to be snarky. I think we sometimes collectively however forget what we are even comparing when we do it out of context.

Kind of like simply going straight to the Canon 600 F4L II IS, at $13,000. Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS, with 2.0x TC (600mm, F5.6) at around $4,000. Tamron 600 F6.3 VC at $1000.

We would all hope things that cost more than 3~4 times, and 13 times more money, would honestly be better.

Looking at images done by these lenses, all the images being posted in those respective threads are fantastic--testament to the skilled photographers using them, not just the lens auto-producing stunning images. The point I think is to simply note that the right tool, for the right job. The extreme job, may just need the extreme lens. But the casual job, may not. And honestly, a lot of images if printed out on big 20x30 posters, unless you knew the hardware requires to perform some shots, they'd look nearly the same.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

3,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD - YAY or NAY
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.