Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GNP

themtkid
528 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2014 11:04 |  #1

Please Critique

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cody Payne Photos (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 09, 2014 11:10 |  #2

I like the first the best; it's a beauty.

Second might have been a good candidate for multiple-exposure HDR.

Third: the whites are too blown out. Kinda hurts my eyes ;)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 09, 2014 11:13 |  #3

First of all, they all look good to me, so I'm kind of nitpicking here.

I don't know if you need the nearby rocks in the first one. I wonder what it would look like in a horizontal version.

In the 2nd one, I think a longer focal length would have worked better. Now you have too much road and too little mountain imho. Maybe you should brighten up the road a bit in post.

Maybe the bottom right corner looks a bit to open/empty in the 3rd on, might have looked better if you still saw some more high ground. Also, the waterfall on the right is cut off by the frame edge.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2014 23:30 |  #4

jefzor wrote in post #16821394 (external link)
First of all, they all look good to me, so I'm kind of nitpicking here.

I don't know if you need the nearby rocks in the first one. I wonder what it would look like in a horizontal version.

In the 2nd one, I think a longer focal length would have worked better. Now you have too much road and too little mountain imho. Maybe you should brighten up the road a bit in post.

Maybe the bottom right corner looks a bit to open/empty in the 3rd on, might have looked better if you still saw some more high ground. Also, the waterfall on the right is cut off by the frame edge.

Similar thoughts...

1) I like the IDEA of the nearby rocks, but I'm doubtful that it works from a compositional standpoint. The placement of the nearby rocks just seems too random and scattered to me, and doesn't really contribute to the overall design.

2) I'm actually fine with the huge expanse of road. In CONCEPT at least, though again there may be a question of execution. To me, one of the primary things that this image is about is about the contrast between where the viewer is and where the viewer is going. We're here, the goal is way over there, and we have a LONG way to go to get there. The long stretch of road exaggerates the sense of separation. The image would probably technically be "better" with a longer lens and less road, but I feel sort of weird about that. I suspect that doing so would also have the potential to fundamentally change what the image SAYS. So I guess it becomes a question of priorities. How important is the statement in comparison to the quality? Is it okay to make changes that result in a "better" photograph if that also completely changes the meaning of the photograph? I guess it depends on the image and how it's to be used, I'm just saying that it's something to consider.

3) Also looks good, but the overall design doesn't seem well formed.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 10, 2014 08:04 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #5

like them all.

if the first two were taken from a lower perspective I think they would benefit from foreshortening of the foreground. Foreshortening of the foreground would allow you to include more of the background. Going higher or lower is one thing I think about nearly every time I take a photo, and is something I think folks new to the hobby/trade forget. I spent a few minutes on two or three different occasions standing on a chair during an awards banquet last weekend, and also spent some time sitting on the ground!

the third is great from a exposure point of view, the highlights do not appear to be blown at all. The composition is a bit lacking. The crop on the right cuts off the waterfall and the movement of water from right to left is generally the opposite from where I would want to lead the eye.

overall a good effort.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

themtkid
THREAD ­ STARTER
528 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2014 09:55 |  #6

Ok thanks a lot everyone! Some great input that I very much needed! On the first two ill try taking future pictures of the same setup type at lower perspectives! Makes much more sense. With the third picture, i know It would have been nice to have more of the waterfall in the picture, which I wish i did but the spot that I was taking it I couldnt move the tripod farther right which was a bummer. Now that the snow is starting to melt off here in montana, Im going to try and get to that same spot. Again thank you for all the help and please anyone else feel free to give me some feeback.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2014 10:04 as a reply to  @ themtkid's post |  #7

I have very close to the same images from my trips there last year. There are a bunch of places to take road shots like that, this one is just a bit under exposed in the roadway for my liking. I love the first shot, I dont mind the rocks as they are a big part of the lakes there. And same as everyone else said about the 3rd.

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 11, 2014 11:05 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #8

The first photo is a type of image that I absolutely adore: from being able to see clearly what is under the water all the way to the clouds in the sky. I like the composition, and I like that it is in portrait orientation. I find it interesting. The image seems to be a bit lacking in vibrancy to me. But, I'm naturally drawn to very vibrant, saturated, and contrasty images.

The second image doesn't appeal to me. But, that could very well just be my taste.

The third image does all sorts of warm and fuzzy things to my synapses. I love the composition. It looks a bit abstract, but is clearly identifiable. I love the white whites and the black blacks, with the gorgeous dash of blue. I love the softness of the water juxtaposed with overhanging ice. It could maybe be improved by being a wider panorama, but I would hang this one on my wall.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

themtkid
THREAD ­ STARTER
528 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2014 13:07 |  #9

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16826131 (external link)
I have very close to the same images from my trips there last year. There are a bunch of places to take road shots like that, this one is just a bit under exposed in the roadway for my liking. I love the first shot, I dont mind the rocks as they are a big part of the lakes there. And same as everyone else said about the 3rd.

Yes since everything is snowed in here from one of the biggest winters in years, its hard getting around to snap some good shots. Checkout my gallery if u want to see not your average road shots as I do a alot of backpacking in the summer.

and thanks neacail!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2014 13:46 |  #10

themtkid wrote in post #16826587 (external link)
Yes since everything is snowed in here from one of the biggest winters in years, its hard getting around to snap some good shots. Checkout my gallery if u want to see not your average road shots as I do a alot of backpacking in the summer.

and thanks neacail!

We were in the park over mothers day weekend, we were lucky to see another car all day on the 3 days we were there. My wife would roll her eyes evertime I stopped the car to get out and take a road shot, seamed like every turn I would stop again lol. I have more road shots then I care to count from that trip. She is not a fan of them, but I just love them, so I guess its not for everyone.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Apr 11, 2014 15:51 |  #11

Amazing pics. Open up the darks on the second one and perfect to my eyes

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

themtkid
THREAD ­ STARTER
528 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 14, 2014 21:04 |  #12

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16826667 (external link)
We were in the park over mothers day weekend, we were lucky to see another car all day on the 3 days we were there. My wife would roll her eyes evertime I stopped the car to get out and take a road shot, seamed like every turn I would stop again lol. I have more road shots then I care to count from that trip. She is not a fan of them, but I just love them, so I guess its not for everyone.

Thats too funny, it is no fun not being able to go very far when winter strikes in Glacier. You should definitely consider coming back for a summertime visit! Always a lot more fun!

davidfarina
Thank you!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 14, 2014 21:20 |  #13

themtkid wrote in post #16834106 (external link)
Thats too funny, it is no fun not being able to go very far when winter strikes in Glacier. You should definitely consider coming back for a summertime visit! Always a lot more fun!

davidfarina
Thank you!

We did canceled our 4th of July plans last year and spent 10 days there. We want to go again but have too many other places on the list :(

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 30, 2014 20:25 |  #14

Is that 3rd picture Avalanche creek? And did you snowshoe back in there? I have never been able to get there while still standing snow, but I am not up for snowshoeing just yet lol.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Apr 30, 2014 20:45 |  #15

Not a criticism, but something you might try next time. In the first shot, consider using a ND filter and get a long exposure, or do a long exposure before dawn or after dusk. The affect will blur out the clouds and the ripples on the water. I think that might make the foreground rocks and the background mountains stand out even more as there will be less "distraction." Like I said, not a criticism but an opportunity to play a bit more with it. Beautiful shots!

sponsored links

1,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
GNP
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.