Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on Teleconverter(s)

blair1955
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 30, 2014 08:22 |  #1

I’m looking into buying either a Tamron 1.4x or Tamron 2.0 teleconverter for my Canon 60D and a Tamron SP AF 70~300 mm Di VC USD lens.. I know I’ll lose one f stop with the 1.4x and 2 with the 2.0x

Want it to shoot wildlife.. points that I consider in a purchase

First I almost always shoot in bright sunlight

Second for the most part my camera will be mounted on a tripod

Third I’m not too concerned with AF, I’m old school and a lot of the time focus myself

I’m leaning towards a 2.0x converter, are there any reasons I shouldn’t and buy a 1.4x instead.

thanks...

sponsored links
Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 30, 2014 09:43 |  #2

If you will have it mounted on a tripod, and use manual focus, then the 2X would be great. I did find that with my Canon 70-200 and 300 2.8s and the Canon converters that the 1.4 was sharper than the 2X, but that could just be due to sample variations. I did not do any real testing. Before making a final decision, I would check to see if there are any reviews of the Tamron 1.4 vs the 2X. Also, consider: You probably realize that the view through the finder will be much dimmer with the 2 stop light loss of the 2X. If you are in bright light that may not matter, but if the light level drops you may have some difficulty with manual focus.

sawsedge
800 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2014 14:49 |  #3

There is always a loss of image quality when using any teleconverter. How much varies by the lens/tc combo. 2x models tend to lose more resolution than 1.4x models. And the loss is usually worse with zooms. Read reviews and look for samples and make sure you can live with that.

- John

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 01, 2014 02:43 |  #4

General rule: Always try a 1.4x TC before thinking of using a 2x TC. TCs were meant to be used with the best prime lenses, not so-so zooms.

GEAR LIST

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2014 05:43 |  #5

Heya,

Not sure I would bother with that setup.

Get a Tamron 150-600mm VC instead. Keep everything, including AF, with no TC's used.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 01, 2014 07:17 |  #6

If you can, go to a camera store and try a 2X TC before you buy one. I don't think you will be happy with the IQ on your zoom.

Jim
Gear List

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 02, 2014 11:48 |  #7

Yes you lose 1 or 2 stops.
But remember that the AF may not work once you go beyond f/5.6.

So putting a 2x TC on a lens that's already f/4 now makes it f/8... AF probably won't work.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

Kumsa
219 posts
Joined May 2010

May 02, 2014 13:00 as a reply to  @ PH68's post |  #8

You've identified the key issues about lighting and context. My gut response is that a 2.x is going to give you more of what you want. The Tamron 150-600 is wonderful lens, though, and probably goes on your wish list. In the meanwhile a tele will look great. I think a lot of the critiques against tele's is grounded in older technology. Yes, it's not going to be super sharp as a monster prime--but within limitations, it's still going to deliver amazing images.

This image was taken with a Sigma 70-200 with a 2.x -- fully out to 400mm. It's f8 at 800 ISO and 1/350. I also used a polarizer (which requires another stop, but at the equator, bright sunlight is a true nuclear force).

You might need to clean up some fringing in PP, but as long as you are in good light, with a decent f/stop and reasonable ISO, you'll be good.

For the range your lens covers, on a crop sensor, it delivers very respectable resolution (external link).

I recommend the normal steps for stability, though, as extenders will throw off your balance on a tripod, if you don't have a tripod collar.

For a twist on remote triggering, take a look at the DSLR Controller app. Very powerful.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jgvRh7t5R4w/U10V8uxfvbI/AAAAAAAAHqI/vlHw2ZJpQKM/w1317-h878-no/wmprintIMG_7222.jpg

6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo flashes / Orlit Strobes Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 02, 2014 19:14 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #16874349 (external link)
Heya,

Not sure I would bother with that setup.

Get a Tamron 150-600mm VC instead. Keep everything, including AF, with no TC's used.

Very best,

thanks.. I'd love another lens but right now I'm short on cash, so I may have to accept a hit in IQ .. better a 2.0x converter than nothing maybe next yr because I have a long list of wants..

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 02, 2014 19:25 |  #10

Kumsa wrote in post #16877538 (external link)
You've identified the key issues about lighting and context. My gut response is that a 2.x is going to give you more of what you want. The Tamron 150-600 is wonderful lens, though, and probably goes on your wish list. In the meanwhile a tele will look great. I think a lot of the critiques against tele's is grounded in older technology. Yes, it's not going to be super sharp as a monster prime--but within limitations, it's still going to deliver amazing images.

This image was taken with a Sigma 70-200 with a 2.x -- fully out to 400mm. It's f8 at 800 ISO and 1/350. I also used a polarizer (which requires another stop, but at the equator, bright sunlight is a true nuclear force).

You might need to clean up some fringing in PP, but as long as you are in good light, with a decent f/stop and reasonable ISO, you'll be good.

For the range your lens covers, on a crop sensor, it delivers very respectable resolution (external link).

I recommend the normal steps for stability, though, as extenders will throw off your balance on a tripod, if you don't have a tripod collar.

For a twist on remote triggering, take a look at the DSLR Controller app. Very powerful.

amazing shot, which brand of converter did you use? I don't have a collar as yet but do have a remote trigger I have used in astrophotography.. I like to try my hand at a bit of all aspects of photography.. started my hobby in the mid 70s with a Yashica TL Electro so far sill my favorite camera.

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 02, 2014 19:29 |  #11

PH68 wrote in post #16877352 (external link)
Yes you lose 1 or 2 stops.
But remember that the AF may not work once you go beyond f/5.6.

So putting a 2x TC on a lens that's already f/4 now makes it f/8... AF probably won't work.

NP I shoot often in manual mode anyway and manual focus I'm just not ready to let the camera do the work .. reason I still have a passion for older film cameras ...thanks..Blair

Kumsa
219 posts
Joined May 2010

May 02, 2014 20:02 as a reply to  @ blair1955's post |  #12

The tele was Sigma's. I think it's best to stay with same manufacturer (besides, it was Sigma who introduced the first tele). So, I'd recommend that you use Tamron's for your 70-300. The Yashica was a nice Pentax clone.

6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo flashes / Orlit Strobes Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker

sponsored links

1,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on Teleconverter(s)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.