Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Apr 2014 (Monday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Review my site?

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 28, 2014 10:48 |  #1

I posted this in another section but I think this is the right area to post it in.

I just re-designed my site this week and thought I'd post mine for any comments....good or bad. I use Zenfolio and added a few custom pages. There's only one page left that I'm looking at redesigning but want to hear some feed back first! Thanks!

bd-photos.com (external link)

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links
warost
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 28, 2014 13:44 |  #2

Well I just had a look around your site and I like it, it was easy to navigate, simple in an informative way and backed up by some lovely looking artwork.
Really nice mate.

Stu

Canon EOS 5D mark3, EOS 60D, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8, 50mm f1.4 etc etc……...
Flickr (external link)

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 28, 2014 14:02 |  #3

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Stu!

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2014 08:01 |  #4

Anyone else?

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 30, 2014 14:36 |  #5

guess not. thanks again Stu.

My Gear

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 30, 2014 15:02 |  #6

Looks better than mine. I like it.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 30, 2014 15:05 |  #7

looks fine, I still hate that zenfolio moves the menu around and can't get their act together in making templates that keep the same layout for each page, but that's not your fault.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

libbyneder
41 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 30, 2014 15:29 |  #8

Excellent work. In general the site is easy to use and flows well. I wish you had "fine art" somewhere on the home page, and a little more explanation (aka: selling yourself) on your about page or somewhere else on the site. I also feel like if you could use folders to separate what parts of the site are portfolio pages (Chigago, HDR, Latest Photos, etc.) and what parts are administrative (About, Contact, etc.)

Otherwise, very professional and slick.

www.libbyneder.com (external link)
www.libbynederweddings​.com (external link)
5Dii|50D|24-70 f/2.8 L|70-200 f/2.8 L|85 f/1.2L|135 f/2.0L|2x430ex

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 30, 2014 18:32 |  #9

phantelope wrote in post #16873004 (external link)
looks fine, I still hate that zenfolio moves the menu around and can't get their act together in making templates that keep the same layout for each page, but that's not your fault.

Are you saying that the layout wasn't the same for some of my pages? If so, which ones? I thought they were the same!

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 30, 2014 18:34 |  #10

libbyneder wrote in post #16873085 (external link)
Excellent work. In general the site is easy to use and flows well. I wish you had "fine art" somewhere on the home page, and a little more explanation (aka: selling yourself) on your about page or somewhere else on the site. I also feel like if you could use folders to separate what parts of the site are portfolio pages (Chigago, HDR, Latest Photos, etc.) and what parts are administrative (About, Contact, etc.)

Thanks! Where would you suggest the "fine art" on the homepage? With the logo? One the images? And thanks for the suggestion on the folders. I might just have to do that.

My Gear

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,276 posts
Gallery: 210 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 30, 2014 19:50 |  #11

On the "Home" page it is not quite obvious that you are selling your photos. The only indication is "Top Sellers". Apart from that I like the site with easy navigation and nice photos.

Another though (from a marketing point of view): is it wise to indicate your "Top Sellers"? A lot of people want exclusivity (even if they don't get it in reality) and inviting them to select from a range that has been selected by a lot of other people throws them off.

You might create "special editions" (may be numbered) and offer your top sellers that way.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,346 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 30, 2014 19:53 |  #12

I agree about the Zen menu thing. It would be a deal-breaker for me. Not a big fan of the HDRs, but that's just a personal thing. Other than that, you have some nice work. Not sure how Zen is as far as SEO, but I would try and do some SEO work if you could. Take a look at my SEO link in my sig.

I used to subscribe to BACKPACKER mag when I could actually backpack and I too had a photo there years ago. :)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 01, 2014 09:50 |  #13

libbyneder wrote in post #16873085 (external link)

I took your advice about the homepage and added just a little text, not too overbearing.

And I also like your idea of splitting up the admin vs the photo side. I'm going to have to try it and see how it looks.

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 05, 2014 08:09 |  #14

Thanks again everyone for reviewing my site!

My Gear

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
12,836 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 05, 2014 12:44 |  #15

It works for me. Easy to get around and some lovely images. The video I watched had some interesting insights. All in all pretty neat.

Bas (external link)

sponsored links

1,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Review my site?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.