Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2014 (Thursday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In car accident, need advice on lens damage.

digitalduck
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 01, 2014 22:36 |  #1

Hey guys I was in a car accident (his fault) Tuesday as just had surgery today. I was on my way to a shoot and was struck mostly Head on. when I went to get my effects out of the car I check my camera bag and noticed right away there was glass everywhere I thought immediately my 17-50 and 70-200 lenses were shot. When I got home I noticed that the busted Glass on the top itself wasn't the lens glass but rather the UV filter I put on top of both of the lenses.

However upon closer inspection I noticed my sigma 17-50 had an issue and was wondering the best way to handle it. It's the Japanese version of the sigma 17–50.

1. I noticed my sigma almost comes apart towards the bottom about an inch above the lens mount itself it almost comes apart in a clamshell meaning it won't come apart all the way just a little bit however it does affect the autofocus I do have to hold it completely closed than the autofocus focuses perfectly if I don't it won't focus at all.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

So I guess that's it I fractured three fingers in my right hand had surgery today still the photo shoot this Saturday I'm trying to make but The client from the date of the accident plus the client on Saturday both said it's okay to reschedule since I have to hold the body and the 70–200 in the same hand and make the adjustments in the same hand which could prove difficult at times.

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

May 01, 2014 22:40 |  #2

phone Sigma and see if you can make a warranty claim or a quote on a repair.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,914 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 01, 2014 22:41 |  #3

at least you're all right...i'd reschedule the photoshoots...send the lenses in to get repaired

if you can't reschedule the shoots, you can look at renting gear

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #16876314 (external link)

i don't think car accidents fall under the warranty terms :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2014 00:05 |  #4

Wouldn't this get covered under the insurance claim and/or lawsuit, especially if it was 100% his fault? I dont see why you have to suffer in addition to your physical injuries, now having to use repaired and/or potentially damaged/slightly damaged equipment.

Bad drivers irk me

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 02, 2014 00:14 |  #5

Sorry to hear this.

The lens looks damaged badly. Not sure if the Sigma can be salvaged. But as suggested by others, it doesn't hurt to ask Sigma. You may want to send a couple of photos to Sigma first if Sigma can accept them.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2014 02:02 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Ask Sigma? For what? Primary replacement source is the other driver's insurance company. Secondary is your own 'uninsured motorist property damage' coverage. If the insurance company wants to fix it, let them. You should get a new one.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2014 02:08 |  #7

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #16876314 (external link)

Warranty is for defects in a product you bought. Not for damages you - or someone around you - inflict on it.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2014 02:12 |  #8

The only thing you can ask Sigma is if it can be repaired (the answer should be yes), and how much it will cost. This is not covered by warranty, but it should be covered by insurance.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,649 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 02, 2014 02:39 |  #9

a) Your photo equipment insurance (you have this, right?) should be your primary contact. They will go to the other driver's insurance as needed for reimbursement.
b) Your auto insurance does not cover vehicle contents, however the other driver's liability insurance will, up to his policy limits.
c) Warranty does not cover impact damage
d) An impact hard enough to break filters and lens bodies will have caused damage to camera bodies and other lenses that might show no immediate signs of problems. All should be thoroughly inspected and repaired by the manufacturer.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2014 03:11 |  #10

bumpintheroad wrote in post #16876611 (external link)
d) An impact hard enough to break filters and lens bodies will have caused damage to camera bodies and other lenses that might show no immediate signs of problems. All should be thoroughly inspected and repaired by the manufacturer.

The actual impact seen by the camera gear need not have been very big.

It doesn't take much to break a lens filter.
And a quite small impact can split up the lens like that if it's mounted on the camera so the camera weight come pressing and there is also a bit of side force.

If you put the camera gear on a coach and then accidentally sit down on the camera, you can crack the lens like that with zero impact - just static sideways pressure.

It's likely that the g-load on the equipment was actually lower than if you are a bit heavy-handed when putting down the camera gear on a table, because there is likely to have been a bit of padding material etc around the camera gear. Unless the gear was on the passenger seat and went straight into the panel.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jrscls
Goldmember
2,982 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 02, 2014 05:13 |  #11

The other driver's insurance should cover any damages to your property, so I would demand a new lens since it appears to be badly damaged.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

UltraWideAngle
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 02, 2014 08:09 |  #12

Yeah I have to agree with what people have been saying. While it should be covered under your home insurance/renters insurance (and not your car insurance), if the other driver was at fault, then you should make sure that they are the ones who have to pay for it (or their insurance company). I would say contact your home/renters insurance company and ask them what you should do. You can also ask your car insurance company what their suggestion is as well.

Based on those photos you sent though, you should be able to get that lens and camera body replaced and probably other equipment because its hard to say just by looking at something how much internal damage has happened. The last thing you would want is for 3 months from now your 60D to stop working unexpectedly and suspect that it's because of damage from the car accident.

I hope you're able to get your gear replaced!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,011 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 09:44 |  #13

Yes, I would list the lens and the camera as damaged and make a claim against the other driver's insurance. You dont want to settle and then find out the the crashed knocked something out of whack inside the camera. So sorry to hear about your misfortune, just when you had things on track for a big success.

sponsored links

1,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
In car accident, need advice on lens damage.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.