Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2014 15:39 |  #8971

Jeeez Roger, what's a 100 million years between old codgers?!! Or even 250 million? You can say it really quickly!:p

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2014 15:49 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #8972

Well, there's old and there's old. After all, I'm merely two days older than dirt, which makes me quite young compared to the angels.

Besides, 100 million here, 250 million there..., pretty soon you're talking real time!

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2014 16:16 |  #8973

20droger wrote in post #16875482 (external link)
Well, there's old and there's old. After all, I'm merely two days older than dirt, which makes me quite young compared to the angels.

Besides, 100 million here, 250 million there..., pretty soon you're talking real time!

:D:D

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 01, 2014 16:25 |  #8974

20droger wrote in post #16875482 (external link)
After all, I'm merely two days older than dirt, which makes me quite young compared to the angels.

Pfft... Older than dirt is really not that old. :rolleyes:

I put grass, leaves, scraps, dog poop, etc into the composter.... let it stew for a few months.... out comes dirt!

Melody

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 01, 2014 16:46 as a reply to  @ Jill-of-all-Trades's post |  #8975

You want old dirt, we got OLD dirt!

http://www.nature.com …/v7/n3/full/nge​o2075.html (external link)
http://www.cnn.com …ld/oldest-earth-fragment/ (external link)

[a bunch of the authors work for the same company I do...]

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2014 16:51 |  #8976

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #16875552 (external link)
Pfft... Older than dirt is really not that old. :rolleyes:

I put grass, leaves, scraps, dog poop, etc into the composter.... let it stew for a few months.... out comes dirt!

Not really. Out comes compost, which is not quite the same.

I'm talking about real dirt. The stuff that most of the surface of the planet is covered by, and which, eventually, you will be six feet under.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,281 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

May 01, 2014 23:10 |  #8977

20droger wrote in post #16875601 (external link)
Not really. Out comes compost, which is not quite the same.

I'm talking about real dirt. The stuff that most of the surface of the planet is covered by, and which, eventually, you will be six feet under.

Letting in the cheer and light again, are you?

Most of the surface of the planet is covered by water. Compost is real dirt. Humans make it faster than nature does, is all.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 02, 2014 04:07 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #8978

Hello All,

I'm obviously new to the forum and have been trying to learn my way around this past month. I didn't find an official "new member intro" section, so this seemed to be the most appropriate place for me to jump in with the crowd that refuses to grow up despite the inevitability of growing older.

I found the forum through links at FM, and really like it here. The wealth of information and good nature of most of the threads is just what I was looking for.

I'm of that micro-generation that went through school right before computers. I was literally in the very last class in college to do typing on a typewriter; so the learning curve for digital photography and post-processing keeps me challenged. It's always nice to run things by fellow geezers because we speak the same language.

It really is great to be here,
Nelson

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 02, 2014 06:09 |  #8979

Nelson, Greetings and Welcome, we know what you're talkin' about!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 02, 2014 06:15 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #8980

Thanks Tony,

I'm still trying to figure out exactly which morning it was that I woke up and became an old guy. I was always "The Kid" everywhere I worked, and overnight I became the geezer.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 06, 2014 07:22 as a reply to  @ bogeybrown's post |  #8981

Ricardo222 wrote in post #16874560 (external link)
Absolutely right Neil...I almost mentioned that in the post above. I've always understood that that's how it works, and it doesn't worry me all that much because we all know it and the more sentient of us tend to dig a little deeper than the surface. Besides, regarding the history of the last century at least, all those histories written by the "winners" have been dissected and deconstructed so often that some different, and possibly more accurate histories have emerged.

What I find more worrying in this PC age is that a growing amount of history is being re-written by the losers...and the word DENIAL is writ large. But enough of that...I'll be coming over all political if I'm not careful, and that, quite correctly, is not allowed, even amongst us old spooks!

Yeah that trend is not a good one but when one of the main sources of information that most people generally use without a thought to the voracity of the information (wiki) can be altered by anyone, it is no surprise.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

May 06, 2014 14:39 |  #8982

neilwood32 wrote in post #16885483 (external link)
Yeah that trend is not a good one but when one of the main sources of information that most people generally use without a thought to the voracity of the information (wiki) can be altered by anyone, it is no surprise.

Voracity: the quality or state of being voracious (mw.com). ;)

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2014 15:14 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #8983

D'you think he meant "veracity"? What a difference a silly little vowel makes!

Wikipedia is to knowledge what "Oh My Darling Clementine" is to music, which is what happens when something is written by the People.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 06, 2014 16:34 |  #8984

neilwood32 wrote in post #16885483 (external link)
Yeah that trend is not a good one but when one of the main sources of information that most people generally use without a thought to the veracity of the information (wiki) can be altered by anyone, it is no surprise.

So true. Wikipedia has been coming under close scrutiny here for some time.

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 06, 2014 23:53 |  #8985

20droger wrote in post #16886446 (external link)
D'you think he meant "veracity"? What a difference a silly little vowel makes!

Wikipedia is to knowledge what "Oh My Darling Clementine" is to music, which is what happens when something is written by the People.

Oh my darling, oh my darling....

Boy does that ever drag up a pile of memories. My mom loved that song and she taught it to us when we were kids. It was one of those songs that any one of us would start singing and everyone else would end up singing along. I think I even have the piano music for it somewhere.

Melody

sponsored links

1,057,189 views & 190 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.