Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2014 (Thursday) 17:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear List Advice/Same Sex Wedding/1st Post

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 01, 2014 17:52 |  #1

Sort of a first post. I accidentally posted this in the Photo Sharring section, not the Knowhow. Oops, what a way to start off my POTN career huh?

Here is my original post:

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been a lurker for a while, but just recently decided to actually sign up so I could start posting and become a part of the POTN community. I come from the video function on our cameras but I have been doing more still photos the past few years. I started with my parents old Pentax film SLR, then jumped to my Canon HV20 for filming, but it wasn’t until I got a T2i that my world really opened up. Honestly, I got the T2i during its first week of availability, and it wasn’t until about six months in until I switched the function wheel to something other than Video mode. Now it has been the opposite and I haven’t had much time switching my 6D into video mode lol. Short intro, now to the real reason why I’m posting in this forum.

I have a really small wedding coming up in a few weeks which will be my first full production on my own. I’ve assisted others when doing video shoots, but as far as photography goes, this is 1/1 for me. I’ve done parties, engagement parties, portraits etc, so I’m not too nervous about the big day. The couple getting married are both men, so if anyone has any advice for me on this, please share. I know in a traditional wedding, the main focus is on the female and the male is basically an accessory. In this case, I am closer to the more feminine male, but I just don’t want to overdo it, or assume too much. Any pointers with posing, or links would be greatly appreciated.

Been loading up my arsenal slowly but sure for this as well as other shoots I have booked. I feel I have the basics covered, but again, I am here for advice and pointers from you guys. I still have the T2i, but it has AF issues now so it can only be used in LiveView. I am thinking of just letting my girlfriend/assistant use that for candid and random shots, but I don’t expect much from that.

Anyways, here is what I have so far:

Camera: 6D and T2i

Lenses: Rokinon 14mm, 28mm f2.8 IS, 40mm Pancake, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC

3 Yongnuo 560 Flash units

Lights stands for all 3 if needed which will be used for first dance and dance floor

Triggers/receiver for all 3

Triple flash mount with umbrella mount to be attached to a monopod and held by my assistant

A fairly knowledgeable and hard working assistant lol

And I’m drawing a blank, but that’s the meat of my gear right now. I was thinking of grabbing another flash, but I’m not sure if I’ll even need it.

If something comes to mind, please share it with me. I haven’t been on forums in years b/c I always end up getting frustrated with silly arguments. With that said, I am definitely open to creative criticism and encouragement.

Talk to you all soon,
Andrew Z

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,914 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 01, 2014 18:18 |  #2

What difference does it make that it's a same sex wedding?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

AZFiLM
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 01, 2014 19:00 |  #3

windpig wrote in post #16875767 (external link)

I'll take that as advice, thank you. I'm prepping as if it were a traditional male/female wedding, but I'm just asking for advice. Please don't think that I have a problem taking photos at a same sex wedding. I'm beyond excited to be given this opportunity, no matter who the couple is. I'm just putting myself out there admitting I am a rookie and asking for advice.

To answer your question, I will just say I'm still learning how to pose couples, regardless of their gender, so again, I'm just asking for advice.

Thank you for your response.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 01, 2014 20:46 |  #4

Do you have any specific questions we could answer ? Are you mostly concerned with how to deal with posing the two gentlemen ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

AZFiLM
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 02, 2014 00:16 |  #5

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16876095 (external link)
Do you have any specific questions we could answer ? Are you mostly concerned with how to deal with posing the two gentlemen ?

Definitely posing. Sorry, my post really didn't get specific. I wrote it while on break at work lol.

posing and I'm wondering if I need to add anything gear wise to my list.

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 02, 2014 00:24 |  #6

AZFiLM wrote in post #16875861 (external link)
I'll take that as advice, thank you. I'm prepping as if it were a traditional male/female wedding, but I'm just asking for advice. Please don't think that I have a problem taking photos at a same sex wedding. I'm beyond excited to be given this opportunity, no matter who the couple is. I'm just putting myself out there admitting I am a rookie and asking for advice.

To answer your question, I will just say I'm still learning how to pose couples, regardless of their gender, so again, I'm just asking for advice.

Thank you for your response.

Have you had a sit-down chat with the couple to go over the entire wedding?

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2014 01:48 |  #7

I think the posing / portraits session is the most challenging portion of a wedding day to shoot. Unless the couple 'brings it', you have to be prepared more than you think you do.

Playing passive 'reportage' style (not to say that's necessarily where you're at) doesn't really prepare a photographer to take charge when it is necessary to. To this end, I'd highly recommend doing a few couples' sessions before the wedding if possible. Borrow your friends, family, pets etc.

Talk to your clients. Ask them what they like. Ask them what they find silly. Are they silly ? Who are they ? Can you incorporate who they are without being too obvious about it ? (an example--a couple whose wedding I shot were huge athletes. Did I put headbands on them and running shoes and have them pole vault on their wedding day ? No--but did I incorporate movement, play, activity ? Totally.)

I don't think gear is a problem here. It would be great if you had a faster lens, though: any 50mm would do.

AZFiLM wrote in post #16876461 (external link)
Definitely posing. Sorry, my post really didn't get specific. I wrote it while on break at work lol.

posing and I'm wondering if I need to add anything gear wise to my list.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,391 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 02, 2014 02:21 |  #8

Only this --->

The couple getting married are both men, so if anyone has any advice for me on this, please share. I know in a traditional wedding, the main focus is on the female and the male is basically an accessory. In this case, I am closer to the more feminine male, but I just don’t want to overdo it, or assume too much.

Fair question. Each wedding is unique and can present unique challenges to the photographer. As mentioned, It's worth asking the wedding couple their thoughts on this. Kudos on your planning and trying to give the couple the best possible end product.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2014 06:38 |  #9

It so often comes down to this . . . ask they what they want.

I wouldn't know how to pose a gay couple either. I had one pretty serious inquiry from a couple and we took the discussion fairly far. They were clear that they didn't want the romantic, looking off into the sky or lovingly into each others eyes kind of poses. They wanted more documentary stuff and even the portraits should have that feel. That's what THEY wanted, but you need to ask your clients the same question so they can tell you.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2014 10:20 |  #10

Just ask them.
"How do you guys want to be presented? I want to make sure my vision and execution match your expectations."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

AZFiLM
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 02, 2014 10:39 |  #11

Thank you everyone! Yes, I have a sit down with them coming up soon b/c they have a short shot list. There is where I will ask them how intamate/romantic things will or will not get. I have been on the fence about getting the plastic fantastic 50mm b/c it's so close to my 40mm which I absolutely LOVE. I'm not afraid of getting into higher ISO's, but I guess it would be a good small investment. I think I have some Adorama and/or BnH cash left over lol.

Thank you again for your advice. I can post images after the big day if anyone is interested.

Have a great weekend everyone.

johnandbentley
934 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2014 10:48 |  #12

Just a thought... I know for experienced wedding photogs, probably not needed... Ive done 6 or so weddings, including a same sex marriage. I basically do it for friends and family. What helps me a ton on wedding day is to toss in a 2 hour engagement or couples shot with the pair a few weeks before. Take a ton of shots in various backdrops/ poses/ areas, etc. Then I can see the results on my computer and get a better idea of what will help capture the emotion and key points of the day, what poses work well for the couple, plus I am much more relaxed giving orders to pose/smile, etc during the fast paced day. Good luck with the wedding!

John

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 02, 2014 11:32 |  #13

I did not see any specific questions. Gear wise.. I hope you have an ettl flash and not just YN 560's.

I do not work off a shot list. I do ask for a formal pairing list for portraits after the ceremony. I also ask them if there is something specific they want captured that is not in the ordinary. For example, this past weekend, we stop at the Bride's father grave site before going to the ceremony.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,914 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2014 16:14 |  #14

nathancarter wrote in post #16877173 (external link)
Just ask them.
"How do you guys want to be presented? I want to make sure my vision and execution match your expectations."

This

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,391 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 03, 2014 01:04 |  #15

I hope you have an ettl flash and not just YN 560's.

Some of us have no problems using manual flash.

sponsored links

2,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear List Advice/Same Sex Wedding/1st Post
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.