Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 May 2014 (Friday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not sure if I need to purchase a new lens

milfin
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2014 11:32 |  #1

Heading to disney world the first week of June and decided to head back to the canon forums. From seeing the pictures posted ... Now i have an urge to purchase camera equipment

This is the first and last time I'll probably be at Disney and want to make the most of it by capturing the moment.

My current gear is a

Canon 60 D
Canon 18-135 MM EFS (Kit lens)
Tamron AF 17-50 SP XR Di II VC

I was thinking of purchasing a new lens and wanted some recommendations

Canon 24-70mm f 4
Canon 24-70mm f 2.8l
Canon 24-70mm f 2.8l ii usm
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L

I don't think I will ever purchase a Full Frame camera but if I do it'll be at least 3-4 years away. I just don't practice enough with my current gear. Most of the times in which I break out my DSLR is for school functions in which i don't want to hang out with those (iPhone / I think its a DSLR) paparazzi crazed mothers in the front row. Vacations / Kids Sports/ Family Functions with the outlaws I mean in laws.

I'm also intrigued with Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens.

For this lens purchase its more of a walk around lens for Disney..

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2014 11:38 |  #2

how are your current lenses holding you back ? why do you want a new one ? (please note, "i just want shiny new gear" is a perfectly acceptable reason)

if i were you i would take the 18-135, and add a cheap fast prime (sigma 30mm or canon 50 f1.8) for low light stuff, you are on holiday - take pics to remember it, but don't get so weighed down by gear that you don't enjoy yourself

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 02, 2014 11:41 |  #3

Any of the 24-xx are probably not wide enough on the 60D.
Try using your Canon 18-135 or Tamron 17-50 at nothing less than 24mm and see if you like it.
My guess is you'll miss that 17-23 range.

Personally I think the Tamron would be all you'll need.

Also get to really know and use you camera & photography skills before investing in any more lenses... as you said, you don't practice enough.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 02, 2014 11:42 |  #4

We are planning a trip to Disney in a year or so and I have spent a lot of time on disney boards regarding photography and they all generally say something along the line of the following.

Pack light - only take what you want or need for the day as you don't want to have to risk losing it while on a ride or having to carry full day. The less you carry the more you enjoy yourself too.

For the park most people seem to use some combination of the following. A street lens with variable zoom (most people go with a 17-50 2.8, 17-55 2.8 etc I have seen some that go with kit lenses as well but most of the stuff I saw had those as primaries)

For rides I hear a lot about grabbing a low light lens like a Sigma 30 1.4 for example.

I read that for the Wild Kingdom part it is up to you in terms of what lenses to carry, but if you plan on taking shots of yourself or family on that part of the park you will need to remember that you will want something that can not only reach but go wide for the up close.

A sturdy tripod and remote trigger if you plan on doing any night fireworks shots.

I may be wrong and if I am hopefully someone corrects me, but based on just reading this is what I am seeing is prevalent!

Also looking at what you currently have you look like you only need a low light lens and if you want wildlife something cheap with reach (55-250?). Otherwise it's a matter of just getting comfortable with your camera in the type of settings you would be taking pictures.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 02, 2014 11:44 |  #5

if i had crop i'd buy
- sigma 18-35 1.8

this lens would probably live on my camera because i love the ranges it covers and it's FAST!

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2014 11:54 |  #6

I think you have your walk around lens and I would recommend complimenting it with an ultra wide, like the Canon 10-22 as there are plenty of opportunities for a wide angle. Also, consider like a Sigma 30 1.4, that is a great lens for indoor rides and the night parades because what you currently have is not fast enough.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

milfin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2014 11:58 as a reply to  @ Jerobean's post |  #7

This forum is the best.

Thanks for the quick replies. The lens that I currently own do the job for me and honestly I was just looking to replace them with higher quality gear. All the points provided is kind of what I wanted to hear in making my decision to purchase or not.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2014 11:59 |  #8

the 10-22 would be great to have, wonderful lens, relatively small and light. And you can get really fun perspectives with it. But yeah, pack light, personally I'd probably just bring a high quality P&S.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 02, 2014 12:56 |  #9

Why not just rent a lens for your trip? If you feel the need for one.

GEAR LIST

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

May 02, 2014 13:06 |  #10

I think Gasrocks has the best plan. Why buy, when you can usually rent relatively cheap. That way you are not tied to your decision. It will mean you get to try it and see if it meets your needs before making a permanent decision.
I would say, you would need some faster glass based on what you have and if you want to do any night shooting, you are not really ready for that.
I have the Sigma 30 1.4 and it is a BEAST in low light. On a crop it is not nearly as wide as you would hope. But being an EF-S lens you wont be able to take it to FF when/if you go that route.
If you are just looking at his as an excuse to get new gear, go big and get a 24-105 F4. Or spend the big bucks and go with the 24-70 F2.8. I personally have the 17-40 F4 and it pretty darn underrated and reasonably cheap in the long run.
But do plan on being on vacation and worry less about your gear and more about spending time with your family. You don't want the kids to remember you as fussing with your gear and not spending time with them. So limit yourself to 2 lens, no more and you will just be having a good time occasionally take a photo here and there.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

milfin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2014 13:58 as a reply to  @ sirquack's post |  #11

actually looking into renting the sigma 30 mm f 1.4 for the trip

I think that will be the best choice.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,655 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 02, 2014 14:06 |  #12

milfin wrote in post #16877380 (external link)
This forum is the best.

Thanks for the quick replies. The lens that I currently own do the job for me and honestly I was just looking to replace them with higher quality gear. All the points provided is kind of what I wanted to hear in making my decision to purchase or not.

The red ring on a lens doesn't automatically make it "better". In many cases you're better off sticking with EF-S lenses on crop bodies. These lenses are designed for crop sensors and often offer better IQ than the equivalent FF lens would on the crop body.

I'd also recommend the Sigma 30/1.4 or even the old Canon 35mm f/2 non-IS.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 02, 2014 14:14 |  #13

Of the choice of lenses you're considering I would choose....NONE. The last thing you want to be worrying about while you're on vacation is a $1K, or more, lens banging around. Ok, you cna have the 24-105 for about $600 used, but still. Just take your Tamron 17-50 and enjoy your time. Or better yet, as was stated in another post, buy a good quality point-n-shoot, leave the DSLR at home, and ENJOY your vacation.

My family and I go to Disneyland every summer for about 3-days. I would never dream of taking either one of my DSLRs with me to the park. But every year I see the people that do, and they're carrying around a huge camera bag, trying to compose shots, waiting for people to get out fo the frame.... Guess what? It never happens.

Just take your camera and the 17-50. If you want a shiny new toy (totally acceptable) buy a good point-n-shoot and take that instead.

So to answer your threat title directly....No, you don't need to purchase a new lens.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2014 14:28 |  #14

milfin wrote in post #16877667 (external link)
actually looking into renting the sigma 30 mm f 1.4 for the trip

I think that will be the best choice.

I would recommend buying one used in the forums right here and then selling it after the trip. More than likely it would only cost you the shipping after it is sold vs whatever the rental company wants.

The only downside to that is that you may end up keeping the lens if you like it as you are not obligated to return it. Although that may not be so bad.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2014 14:32 |  #15

I think everyone has different views on this as I feel that Disney is a great place for photography and bring almost every lens I own every year when we go. I only take what I need when I leave the hotel and lock the rest up in the safe. It really depends on what you want to shot as that would dictate what you take to Disney. Do you just want to take some pictures of the kids with the characters or do you want to shoot the parks, parades and fireworks. I would never consider leaving my DSLR at home.

rivas8409 wrote in post #16877694 (external link)
Of the choice of lenses you're considering I would choose....NONE. The last thing you want to be worrying about while you're on vacation is a $1K, or more, lens banging around. Ok, you cna have the 24-105 for about $600 used, but still. Just take your Tamron 17-50 and enjoy your time. Or better yet, as was stated in another post, buy a good quality point-n-shoot, leave the DSLR at home, and ENJOY your vacation.

My family and I go to Disneyland every summer for about 3-days. I would never dream of taking either one of my DSLRs with me to the park. But every year I see the people that do, and they're carrying around a huge camera bag, trying to compose shots, waiting for people to get out fo the frame.... Guess what? It never happens.

Just take your camera and the 17-50. If you want a shiny new toy (totally acceptable) buy a good point-n-shoot and take that instead.

So to answer your threat title directly....No, you don't need to purchase a new lens.

sponsored links

3,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not sure if I need to purchase a new lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.